Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573885 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #930 on: August 27, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
Just spoken to a neighbour-- The Waverley came and went without taking anyone onboard ! Anyone know why?
Too rough for it to dock. Shame, as there was a large crowd there, together with ITV and BBC.  &shake&

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member

Offline Cordyline

• Management board member
« Reply #932 on: August 27, 2014, 02:43:35 pm »
The Captain was concerned about the risk when returning from the short trip off Anglesey.
Cordy was interviewed by ITV Wales news. Later BBC Wales asked Ms Cordy to speak on camera

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #933 on: August 27, 2014, 03:57:32 pm »
I get the feeling that it never will dock for various reasons, is the Captain a celebrity chef by the name of Bryn Williams?  :twoface:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #934 on: August 27, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »
Having been a part of the crew in the early 70s getting the I o m  boats in /out I went down to have a look how they would get the Waverley alongside  looking at the wind direction and the tide  as soon as she approached you knew it wasn't,t going to happen , I waited around but could hear no explaination to the many people waiting for her to berth  lots even thought she would reappear from the Orme .

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #935 on: August 27, 2014, 06:38:25 pm »
Just spoken to a neighbour-- The Waverley came and went without taking anyone onboard ! Anyone know why?
Sea too rough/ windy  to dock

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #936 on: August 27, 2014, 08:33:48 pm »
It wasn't rough. A bit of swell yes.
In these days of litigation I certainly wouldn't criticise the Captain.

In the 80s when I was last on board the Waverley ~ In the  Clyde ~ the then Captain was up for anything, he often ran aground and no one seemed overly concerned.
If that happened now he would be in big trouble

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #937 on: August 27, 2014, 08:56:49 pm »
Must be costing the boat company / society etc a fortune in refunds! Must be many unhappy people over this!

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #938 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:08 pm »
The  passenger access to Waverley is usually across the paddle so it might be a problem if there's a wind off shore.  If the paddle or its housing was damaged by hard contact with the dolphin, the vessel could be out of action for a while. Better safe and all that.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #939 on: August 28, 2014, 01:00:10 am »
This was the picture I took, and also tweeted, of the SS Waverley attempting to come alongside at Llandudno Pier.

The Captain was trying to let the Pier manager (and sickening array of Civic dignitaries) know by telephone that he would not be able to dock.  But, the Pier manager's phone had no signal at all.... like many watching, because the network was jammed and busy.  That's why no one had the true information at the time.
The Captain later explained that the docking would be just about possible, but the gangplank for disembarking and embarking passengers would have been very unsafe, tossing up and down in the swell.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #940 on: August 28, 2014, 09:10:29 am »
This was the picture I took, and also tweeted, of the SS Waverley attempting to come alongside at Llandudno Pier.

The Captain was trying to let the Pier manager (and sickening array of Civic dignitaries) know by telephone that he would not be able to dock.  But, the Pier manager's phone had no signal at all.... like many watching, because the network was jammed and busy.  That's why no one had the true information at the time.
The Captain later explained that the docking would be just about possible, but the gangplank for disembarking and embarking passengers would have been very unsafe, tossing up and down in the swell.

Do they charge extra for this?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #941 on: August 28, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »
I can see the SS Waverly at anchor just off Colwyn Bay.  It's high tide but relatively calm although there is a strong sea breeze at the moment.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #942 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:02 pm »
Paddle Steamer docking halted by strong winds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28955044

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #943 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:11 pm »
We went along the prom in Rhos to see the SS Waverly, thanks for the tip off Hugo! I do wonder if conditions will ever be suitable for her to dock on the pier given it's exposed location!

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #944 on: August 28, 2014, 05:37:10 pm »
A really important announcement.  Today Fester beat me at Scrabble (actually "Words with Friend").   &well&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero