Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573272 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2011, 08:23:05 am »
Don't forget to set your clocks forward an hour tonight (Trojan excepted).  ;D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »
Don't forget to set your clocks forward an hour tonight (Trojan excepted).  ;D
Lucky me. I get to spend an extra hour sitting in the cab outside the Boulevard!

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2011, 01:13:23 pm »
One hour less possibly.

Offline Paddy

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2011, 01:15:43 pm »
One hour less possibly.

I get confused, thanks Medz. Result!

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2011, 03:34:09 pm »
It's been an eventful couple of days for my mate Ali Gugs.  On Saturday, his 9yr old son and his friend were playing on waste ground just outside Alis house in Penmaenmawr.  The lads were building dens when they looked down and noticed an object lying on the soil, fortunately Alis lad had been to a war museum with his Grandad a few weeks earlier and recognised it immediately as a WW2 Hand Grenade.  They ran in the house and alerted Ali, he then phoned the police who arrived 10 mins later. He was told the lads did the right thing not touching the Grenade as the pin had been removed.  Alis house was cordoned off over night with the police parked out front until the bomb squad turned up at 6am and removed it. 
He has since been told that the piece of land was once used for army training during WW2.  Seems a strange place for a training ground?
This is the photo he took on his camera.
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2011, 03:49:20 pm »
That brought back a memory, it's just like the one I found. ( Episode 2 Quiggs Gunsite story )
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Trojan

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2011, 03:14:55 am »
Looks like a Mills Bomb which was made at the Mills Munitions Factory in Birmingham.

The pineapple effect on the casing was thought to aid fragmentation.

Yorkie

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2011, 08:23:10 am »

What do you do when a blonde throws a pin at you?
Run like hell........she's got a hand grenade in her mouth !

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:13 am »
This government and our local councils make me laugh...............no actually they make me sick.  I have mentioned a couple of times on the forum my very good friend Mash.  He was in the Army for years, he did three tours in Northern Ireland in the early nineties, he was in war torn Bosnia, Afghanistan the list goes on, most of which he's not allowed to talk about, believe you me this guy fought for his country along with thousands of others.
This government cares not a jot for what our lads have endured and they couldn't give a toss regarding the mental torture these soldiers faced!!  All soldiers are taught to repress their emotions whilst serving the armed forces, which in some cases develops into PTSD, (Post Traumatic stress Disorder)  The symptoms of which can be Panic Attacks, Paranoia, Depression, Anger Issues, Persecution Complexes, Anxiety etc etc.  Nightmares about your past experiences even invade your sleep as a result you are medicated with sleeping tablets and quite often anti depression pills.
Mash does his best to keep it together and he's an amazing guy (course I'm completely bias) He's trained dogs that have recently saved lives.  He has two dogs at the moment the first being Socs, she's trained to search out Human Remains.  His other dog Lil a brown Labrador is in training at the moment to search in water for flood victims.  All this is done on a voluntary basis.
Mash, Gail and I  were sat in Gails house on Friday evening, when Mash received a phone call from his lodger informing Mash that a bailiff had just visited the house regarding unpaid Council Tax.  The lodger told the Bailiff that Mash wasn't in and wouldn't be home until Sunday as he was staying the weekend in mine.  Mash doesn't like going to pubs because he doesn't like crowds and rowdy places, so occasionally he comes down to my house.
The Bailiff was undeterred and told the lodger he would be returning at 6am to kick the door down and take items from the house. Kick the door down.  Those were his words!!  Of course Mash was beside himself with worry.  It turns out the outstanding amount was £39.  The best of it is, on the same day he received a cheque from Bangor Council amounting to £29 as Mash had only recently overpaid!  So the outstanding amount due was in fact £10.  So this gimp was going to kick down Mash's door for £10.   I was absolutely hopping.
We phoned the Bailiff and so far he hasn't turned up. A*** and Elbow comes to mind.
I can't help thinking what could have transpired had Mash have been in bed when the Bailiff turned up at 6am and kicked down his door................I wouldn't want to be in the Bailiffs shoes, Mash has after all been trained to deal with dangerous real hard men, armed to the hilt.  He would have tied this Munter up in knots and thrown him onto the street closely followed by his feckin clipboard.  Maybe I should have given him a lift home and waited until he turned up.  :rage: :rage:

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Yorkie

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2011, 11:43:20 am »
The feckin' Councils all seem to think they are a Law unto themselves.    I sent a Freedom of Information request to Llandudno Council on 7 March.   Not having heard anything I sent a reminder last week.  Apparently they found it neccessary to discuss this at a Full Council Meeting last Friday and decided to "allow" the Town Clerk to send me an e-mail to say it would be some time.    In other words they could not give a toss about the 20 days deadline in the Statute and are quite prepared to ride roughshod over the Law.   If the information is not supplied or late I will file a complaint with the Information Commissioner which will be about the third in respect of LTC.

It seems they regard the e-mail facility we pay for, and that is recommended for use on the LTC web site, may only be used by selected people, and I am not one of them!   

As far as I am concerned the whole lot better watch out, I feel an urge to clean the cobwebs off of my Blog and get down to publishing a few choice bits and pieces again!    >>>   >>>   

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2011, 12:05:43 pm »
Ha ha Alis just had a call from the Weekly News, they want to print the story on the Grenade his lad found.  You read it here first...................

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:35 pm »
Re the FOI act. I had the misfortune to work in a local authority on the IT systems required to supply any info requested from archived e-mails. During that time I had a look at the legal requirements that a council had to fulfil for FOI requests.

This states that

"an authority must comply with its duty under section 1 promptly and in any event within 20 working days (or other period, not later than 60 working days, set under regulations) from receipt of a request. If a fees notice is issued, time stops running from the issue of the notice until the fee is received. Working days do not include any Saturday or Sunday or Christmas Day, Good Friday or bank holidays under the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 in any part of the UK.

Where an authority is not able to reach a decision as to the balance of the public interest in disclosure within 20 working days, it must reach a decision within a reasonable period. In these circumstances, the authority is still required to issue a notice that an exemption applies under the provisions of section 17(1) within the 20 working day limit."

I'm not defending the council but if you submitted the request on the 7th of March then they still have a week to respond to you with the information or 1 week to tell you that it's going to take longer (which they did) to get all the info you requested.

Yorkie

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2011, 12:36:15 pm »
I am actually aware of the Statute and have a hard copy in my desk.  I have used the FOI Act for many years now and do undertsand the 20 working days.   As I had no acknowledgement of my request or any request for payment I felt that a reminder was in order. The problem with LTC is that I have asked some very awkward questions in the past and have been rather a pain in their ass!  For my sins I am also an ex Llandudno Town Councillor.   I am also well aware of exempt items and never address any matter that may come within that area.   Thanks anyway.    $thanx$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »
As far as I am concerned the whole lot better watch out, I feel an urge to clean the cobwebs off of my Blog and get down to publishing a few choice bits and pieces again!    >>>   >>> 

<:<:<:<

Offline Trojan

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »
Ha ha Alis just had a call from the Weekly News, they want to print the story on the Grenade his lad found.  You read it here first...................

$3towns$  L0L