Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573443 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1695 on: July 18, 2019, 10:43:55 am »
Interestingly, although we've escaped the worst of it, July is on course to be globally the hottest July ever recorded on Earth.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DVT

• Management board member
« Reply #1696 on: July 18, 2019, 07:59:58 pm »
Next two days don't look very promising, and I am out on an exposed hillside all day both days!!  :(

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1697 on: July 18, 2019, 08:01:38 pm »
Tomorrow certainly looks a tad moist...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #1698 on: July 28, 2019, 09:58:09 pm »

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1699 on: August 06, 2019, 04:43:14 pm »
Dog owners warned as palm oil fatbergs wash up around the  NW coast                                                   ref DP
They give off a noxious smell which dogs are drawn to, but they can be fatal if they are ingested.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #1700 on: August 08, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »
ITV in town for up to a year. Same team that brought us "The Village" are filming a similar about Llandudno around the Pier

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1701 on: August 10, 2019, 03:02:47 pm »
They’ve been there since about March.
I think they might end up being somewhat disappointed with what they have collected thus far.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1702 on: August 14, 2019, 09:30:52 am »
I was sorry to hear that the shop had been robbed again and it must have been awful for the shop assistants at the time.   The owner has got a point about not seeing Police on the beat in the streets as the Police are a visible deterrent to the scum who commit these type of crimes 

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shop-boss-speaks-horror-store-16749138

Offline Helig

« Reply #1703 on: August 14, 2019, 11:12:55 am »
I was amazed to read about the armed robbery at the shop. Penrhyn Bay must have changed since I lived there years ago. I think that used to be Victoria Wine then.

Helig.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1704 on: August 14, 2019, 12:54:23 pm »
I don't remember what the shop was before but it's a really nice shop to go into as the staff are so friendly and helpful.     We always go there first when we need to buy birthday cards etc because they have such a good selection and the prices are great too
There is a co-op shop across the roundabout and that also had a robbery in recent times but that type of thing seems to be happening all over the place now

Offline Dave

« Reply #1705 on: August 14, 2019, 01:18:19 pm »
I was reading an article about Sweden and the use of plastic cards instead of cash. There are obviously some drawbacks but there has to be some advantages too.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1706 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:20 am »
I was sorry to hear that the shop had been robbed again and it must have been awful for the shop assistants at the time.   The owner has got a point about not seeing Police on the beat in the streets as the Police are a visible deterrent to the scum who commit these type of crimes 
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/shop-boss-speaks-horror-store-16749138

Reading this story............. A newsagent has today told of the horror of being held at knife point as his shop was robbed in broad daylight.
Sunny Thomas, who runs Billy Mac's on Augusta Street, Llandudno was working at the shop on Wednesday evening when a man allegedly armed with a knife walked in
................  I thought this is getting out of control, however some way down the article ! !, a bit of good news.

North Wales Police said a man, from the Merseyside area, has been arrested in connection with the armed robbery.
The man was arrested for a similar incident that happened in Penrhyn Bay on Monday, August 12, after a man entered Broadway Newsagents around 8.20pm and threatened staff with a bladed weapon before making off with cash.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bangor-newsagent-froze-man-held-16761370

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1707 on: August 16, 2019, 11:29:29 am »
I believe this has been a trend for more than 40 years, now. During the summer months gangs from Liverpool and Manchester view the three towns area as easy pickings and come through for a day, thinking there won't be any problem.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1708 on: August 16, 2019, 11:30:54 am »
That's good news Steve and I hope they lock him up and throw away the key.    The public have a right to be protected from these type of people so I hope that the Court does its duty properly.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1709 on: August 16, 2019, 01:40:56 pm »
What's ambiguous in the press article is whether the alleged offender was arrested for both offences at the same time or was he arrested for Penrhyn Bay first.

These offences used to come into the category of armed robbery which attracted hefty custodial sentences rather than the suspended terms which seem the vogue.