Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573496 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1680 on: March 21, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »
The petition to revoke article 50 has crashed the site three times, but is now limping along.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241584/

Full article about it  here.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/03/21/parliament_brexit_petition/
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1681 on: March 21, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »
Just who is this Margaret Anne Georgiadou?          Why didn't she do this when Dozy Dave was PM and the Tories got elected?

It's all turned into a farce and would be even more so if there is another vote on Brexit

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1682 on: March 21, 2019, 06:57:10 pm »
Well, the shambles that has resulted from the badly worded original referendum is absurd, but it ought never to have been run in the way it was, many of the Leave politicians ought to have been prosecuted for misleading the public and this petition - now crashed yet again (!) - is simply an indication of the ludicrous situation in which we now find ourselves.

It's always worth remembering that politicians only ever react to pressure from voters and press. The tabloids were and always have been anti-EU and many of the very wealthy Tories are anti-EU.  To me, the greatest travesty has been the vast swathes of Labour voters who've been conned into voting Leave by the incredibly wealthy Tories running that campaign.

My question was always if the very wealthy are trying to get the EU to break up, what are they trying to get out of it?  Uniting Europe was our idea in 1946;  we didn't want a repeat of the second World War and the Fascism that accompanied the rise of Hitler. 

So signing this petition will only serve to bring more pressure on the desperate May.  That is - if you can get in before it crashes again.  Apparently, it's the single largest amount of attempts to sign any petition since the Petitions site was established.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1683 on: March 21, 2019, 10:49:49 pm »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1684 on: March 22, 2019, 12:03:20 am »
The best Brexit analogy I can think of is this....
We’ve all been out with a mate in the past, in a pub, who says ‘it’s crap in here, let’s go somewhere else’.  But they had no plan of where to go, or why, but you leave anyway because it was suggested.
Then you find yourself outside the pub you just left, and they won’t let you back in.
Then you start squabbling about why you are worse off than you were, and have no beer.
In essence, the U.K. is now in a kebab shop at 2am, arguing about who’s fault it is.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1685 on: March 22, 2019, 09:10:30 am »
Nice analogy.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1686 on: June 03, 2019, 01:35:16 pm »
Coup sees Conwy leader deposed as chairman gives the thumbs down after tied vote
Cllr Gareth Jones, who was turned on after he sacked finance chief, was ousted by the council chairman's deciding vote.

"Two nominees were put forward, Cllr Wyn Ellis Jones of Plaid Cymru and Cllr Sam Rowlands of the Conservative Party, with Cllr Rowlands coming out on top by 30 votes to 19."

Cont    https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coup-sees-conwy-leader-deposed-16371070

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Stop Press,,,,,,,,,, CCBC New Councillors
« Reply #1687 on: June 07, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »
I really will have to be less cynical ..........  &shake&

A SMATTERING of new faces and the installation of a new deputy leader are among changes to Conwy’s top team

Cllr Sam Rowlands, made the authority’s leader following the ousting of the previous leader, Cllr Gareth Jones, has unveiled his new cabinet, a coalition of conservative and independent members.

Cllr Goronwy Edwards, who proposed Cllr Rowlands for the leadership has been made deputy leader, will look after economic development.

“This is a good council, we have an array of elected members with a range of talents and skills and a dedicated team of officers,” said Cllr Rowlands.

“In selecting my cabinet I’ve been very aware that we’ll need to pick up our pace, work even harder, and be very brave in our decision-making over the coming months.”

The cabinet welcomes fresh faces in the form of Cllr Greg Robbins, Cllr Julie Fallon, Cllr Charlie McCoubrey, Cllr Goronwy Edwards, Cllr Chris Cater, Cllr Emma Leighton-Jones, Cllr Cheryl Carlisle is the only member to keep her previous portfolio of children and family social care with others moved to different roles.

The new cabinet is made up of Cllr Greg Robbins who will be responsible for environment and transportation; Cllr Mark Baker will look after heritage and culture; Cllr Julie Fallon will take on education; Cllr Charlie McCoubrey has the housing and regulatory brief; Cllr Goronwy Edwards becomes the deputy leader and has responsibility for economic development, Cllr Chris Cater will take on governance and performance; Cllr Louise Emery, has been given the role of adult and community social care; Cllr Emma Leighton-Jones assumes responsibility for modernisation, Cllr Cheryl Carlisle keeps her portfolio of children and family social care.

Cllr Rowlands added: “I intend to ensure this council delivers what it says it wants to do, and make sure our residents and their needs are at the forefront of what we deliver.”

Cllr Rowlands was voted in as leader at a special meeting of the full council on Monday June 3, following the previous leader, Cllr Jones, losing a vote of no confidence and stepping down as leader. ref Pioneer

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1688 on: June 10, 2019, 07:02:02 pm »
The news that a woman was trampled by cows has been revised to reveal there were also two dogs with her.

Cattle will attack when they see dogs. I suspect we all know that but I wonder if those less familiar with the countryside do? Perhaps some sort of infomercial is needed to alert people to the risks inherent in walking with dogs across fields with cattle in them.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1689 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:24 am »
The news that a woman was trampled by cows has been revised to reveal there were also two dogs with her.

Cattle will attack when they see dogs. I suspect we all know that but I wonder if those less familiar with the countryside do? Perhaps some sort of infomercial is needed to alert people to the risks inherent in walking with dogs across fields with cattle in them.

I did not know that.
Nor do I have a dog, or will ever own one, but it’s important information nonetheless!
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1690 on: June 13, 2019, 08:12:42 am »
The grazing mammals - cattle and horses - see dogs, I suspect, as wolves and their hindbrain instincts kick in to make them attack. Several friends of ours are farmers, and they won't take their sheepdogs onto any fields in which there are cattle or horses. We regularly cross fields with cattle, and one field had around 80 bullocks in it.  As we crossed it, they trotted over to see us but we always carry sticks and if you raise them above your head or simply stretch out your arms with them they see you as something much larger and stay a respectful distance away. But I would never risk it with a dog.

Offline Ian

• Administrator

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1692 on: June 15, 2019, 02:30:51 pm »
You’ll be telling me that men landed on the moon next! 😂
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1693 on: June 16, 2019, 09:56:38 am »
 $donald$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1694 on: July 18, 2019, 09:28:40 am »
Mrs H said that the BBC news reported a fire at Sychnant Pass and that people were advised to keep away from the area

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49028405