Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573452 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #945 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »
Past problems that might account for hesitation in docking. 

ref. Wikipedia.....

On 15 September 2008 Waverley was involved in minor damage to Worthing Pier. After she berthed and secured lines to pier bollards, part of the landing stage was dislodged. The ship escaped damage and the only damage to the pier was that a length of timber was pulled out, but she had to leave without taking on passengers.[8]

On 26 June 2009 Waverley struck the pier at Dunoon, damaging both the ship and the pier. Some 700 people were aboard at the time, of whom 12 suffered minor injuries. The ship returned to Glasgow, where the damage was assessed. One week later she was back in service on the Clyde.[9] }

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #946 on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:00 pm »
I wonder if there is a more suitable vessel available for such trips than the Waverley?

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #947 on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »
There will be, but for many its the fact  PS Waverley is unique that's the attraction

Offline SteveH

« Reply #948 on: August 28, 2014, 08:06:58 pm »
Having been a part of the crew in the early 70s getting the I o m  boats in /out I went down to have a look how they would get the Waverley alongside  looking at the wind direction and the tide  as soon as she approached you knew it wasn't,t going to happen , I waited around but could hear no explaination to the many people waiting for her to berth  lots even thought she would reappear from the Orme .

Norman can you advise on DaveR's question "on a more suitable Vessel" ...is it the paddle? or the pier? or....
I have watched large cruise ships with modern bow thrusters etc. and tugs in an easy harbour take all morning to dock, solely because the wind direction was blowing the ship into the dock side.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #949 on: August 28, 2014, 08:29:51 pm »
On the Waverley the passengers get off above the paddle so that is risky on the pier , the gangway on the I o m boats were ok going up /down ,but with the paddles you couldn't,t do that , when the I o m boats were running we were in proper radio contact as the weather con can change all the time , the 2guys on the pier are not allowed to bring the boats in (Waverley send their own over ),and that is another reason why no boats won,t come in ,the pier owners won't insure them to bring them in , if you know what I mean .

Offline SteveH

« Reply #950 on: August 28, 2014, 08:57:17 pm »
Thanks N....It's making a bit more sense now, but , long term it does not look good for the Waverley they can only cancel so many times, there's already negative remarks, but I wish them luck to continue. ££$

Offline No 6

« Reply #951 on: August 28, 2014, 11:33:22 pm »
There was simply no excuse for the failure to moor up. There was no sea worth mentioning and even less wind in the lee of the Orme.

As for the excuse that the weather on the return may be worse - it wasn't - this skipper has form for poor met office interpretation.

Never mind - the Balmoral will do the honours next year. She has a fifty year history with Llandudno and won't let us down.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #952 on: August 28, 2014, 11:47:10 pm »
Strange to see the Waverley off the Colwyn Bay coast today, it must cost a lot to keep it running but they have just turned away lots of custom? I can't see the conditions ever being right for it to dock on the pier somehow!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #953 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:16 am »
Strange to see the Waverley off the Colwyn Bay coast today, it must cost a lot to keep it running but they have just turned away lots of custom? I can't see the conditions ever being right for it to dock on the pier somehow!

The prevailing winds in Llandudno are South Westerlies, so the pier head should be in the lea of the Gt Orme.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #954 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:43 am »
There was simply no excuse for the failure to moor up. There was no sea worth mentioning and even less wind in the lee of the Orme.

As for the excuse that the weather on the return may be worse - it wasn't - this skipper has form for poor met office interpretation.

Never mind - the Balmoral will do the honours next year. She has a fifty year history with Llandudno and won't let us down.

No6, whoever you are, I have to disagree entirely with what you say.
Where you there?  I assume you were.   I observed the situation from very close quarters.
Putting a gangplank from a bobbing ship, across to a static pier would have been very volatile and hazardous to walk across.
It was obvious to 'most' looking on that there was NO CHANCE of a berthing in those conditions.
I was amazed that she was brought in so close by the ship's Master, just to see if it was possible to dock.
Better luck next time!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #955 on: August 29, 2014, 01:38:55 am »
A really important announcement.  Today Fester beat me at Scrabble (actually "Words with Friend").   &well&

...... A momentous occasion indeed,  I'm guessing that I have won about 5 or 6 out of 250 or so games.....  makes you wonder why I bother really doesn't it?     Maybe I am a masochist.  8)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #956 on: August 29, 2014, 07:50:16 am »
You are actually much improved from the first game we had.   :D
I now have to think a lot more and try and improve my tactical play.   ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #957 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:40 am »

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #958 on: August 29, 2014, 10:47:18 am »
http://thoughtsofoscar.blogspot.co.uk/?_sm_au_=iVVVJFTw0vSwjSRr

Oscar's blog has ceased

One day it may well rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.  $walesflag$

Maybe now someone will run the credits for the list of characters who made it all possible.   :D
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #959 on: August 29, 2014, 10:50:44 am »
He doesn't say he has ceased, just taking a break from it, seems like one of the Conservative Friends of Israel are after him! 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas