Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 574134 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2011, 05:53:17 pm »
 _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »
When I heard that Bin Laden, and Bin Laden Jr had been killed this morning,  I was confused.

I didn't know the Americans took the Bins out on Bank Holidays !

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2011, 05:57:01 pm »
Oh give up-- laughing makes me cough ! _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2011, 10:06:15 pm »
You have to give Osama some credit though.

He's just posthumously been awarded the World Hide & Seek Championship title.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2011, 10:08:23 am »
RNLI collection box stolen during Extravaganza weekend
by Kelly Barker, DPW West May 4 2011

YOBS ripped a lifeboat collection box from its stand before smashing it open and making off with around £150 worth of donations.

The two-foot long replica boat was chained to a 20kg steel podium, when it was dragged from its spot next to the all-weather vessel, Fisherman’s Friend on Sunday.

The lifeboat was docked on Llandudno’s promenade for last weekend’s booming Victorian Extravaganza, where hundreds of revellers donated loose change.

Last night, crews said they were left “gutted” by the “mindless act” which they claim has cost them between £100 and £150.

Station mechanic Les Jones made the grim discovery when he turned up to empty the cash boxes and spend a night on the boat to stave off vandals.

Speaking to the Daily Post, he said: “There were three collection boxes situated on stands around the Fisherman’s Friend, and as soon as I arrived about 10.30pm, I could see that one of them was missing.

“It was obvious that the box had been dragged away still chained to the 20kg stand. When I had a look around, I found it had been prised open and emptied on the beach.”

He added: “We always get a lot of public support when we have collections, particularly at the Extravaganza, and I’d say there was easily £100 to £150 that was taken.

“What’s ironic is that I was preparing to spend a night on the boat to make sure it wasn’t damaged.”

He added: “Never in my 25 years of putting our boxes out, have I ever encountered such an incident.”

Last night police confirmed that two 15-year-old boys were arrested on suspicion of theft following the incident. Neither are believed to be from the North Wales area.

A spokesman for Llandudno lifeboat said: “We are absolutely gutted. We consider all of our donations sacrosanct.

“We don’t get government funding and rely solely on legacies and donations and every penny helps.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/05/04/rnli-collection-box-stolen-during-extravaganza-weekend-55578-28630192/

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:51 am »
Perhaps it would be more sensible on such occasions to empty the boxes at more regular intervals. Then if anything is stolen it will only be say four hours worth and not a full days donations. Waiting until 10.30 p.m. is asking for it.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2011, 01:36:47 pm »
It is a sad reflection on modern society when a person's reaction to the theft is to say that they were "asking for it".   Why should we be "asking for it" just because we leave our cars parked with the SatNav showing, or a shopping bag on the back seat?  Why should we be "asking for it" just because we don't stand guard 24/7 over everything we own?

All these tow-rags need teaching a lesson, and a lesson they won't forget.  Lock them up in a secure prison without TV, gyms and all the comforts of home, miles from anywhere.  Dress them in sackcloth uniforms, feed them gruel and make the bug***s carry out some hard labour.  Forget they supposedly had a bad childhood and were abused and mistreated.   Let the punishment fit the crime as Gilbert and Sullivan said.   We may then see some reduction in offending. :rage:
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2011, 02:28:20 pm »
Llechwedd, you're right of course but Yorkies spot on with his comments too.   With the vandalism at St Tudno's Church and now this, nothing is sacred to these type of scumbags.
There does need to be a deterent when crimes are committed but it is obviously not happening now.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:31 pm »
Lock them up in a secure prison without TV, gyms and all the comforts of home, miles from anywhere.  We may then see some reduction in offending.

Well, we imprison more of our population than any other country in Europe ,but it doesn't seem to deter re-offenders. Neither has it ever worked, even when punishments were far more draconian.

Regrettably, modern society, with its glitzy gadgets and expensive accessories, does mean that people have to take responsibility for safe-guarding their property and the Lifeboat people, working with the sorts of people and in the sorts of situations they do, ought to have been more careful.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2011, 04:37:52 pm »
Edited quote:
Well, we imprison more of our population than any other country in Europe ,but it doesn't seem to deter re-offenders. Neither has it ever worked, even when punishments were far more draconian.

You've hit the nail on the head Ian.  We do imprison more than any other country in Europe, so maybe we should have a look at how they deal with similar problems.  Try Sweden, try Germany and a few others, maybe we could learn something and possibly manage to give up this mamby pambering of criminals.   Slaps on the wrist do no good.  Bring back conscription, the birch and hanging!    >>>
Cicero

Offline Trojan

« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
I'd throw them into an old rowing boat and then have RNLB Andy Pearce tow then 5 miles out into the Irish Sea at night with no lifejackets and one flare.

Maybe they would then appreciate the RNLI.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2011, 07:51:02 pm »
And they would probably get a nice stone monument on the Promenade!     :)
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2011, 08:23:49 pm »
I'd throw them into an old rowing boat and then have RNLB Andy Pearce tow then 5 miles out into the Irish Sea at night with no lifejackets and one flare.
You're going soft, mate. Don't let them have a flare!  Utter vermin. WWW

Offline Trojan

« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2011, 08:26:41 pm »

The flare would signal they're location - so they could be rammed by the Andy Pearce.  WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »

The flare would signal they're location - so they could be rammed by the Andy Pearce.  WWW
Fair enough, then!  WWW