Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573612 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #885 on: April 01, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »
A470 closed by Police at 1100 today between Tal y Cafn and Llanrwst.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline dwsi

« Reply #886 on: April 01, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
A470 closed by Police at 1100 today between Tal y Cafn and Llanrwst.

A470: Motorcyclist fighting for life after crash - Daily Post http://buff.ly/1fJQYMP

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #887 on: April 01, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
The motorcyclist has died. No more details at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-26839648
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #888 on: April 12, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »
Bangor Road, Conwy closed due to an incident by the entrance to Bodlondeb. Police and fire appliance(s) in attendance, and traffic being diverted.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #889 on: May 23, 2014, 10:02:48 pm »
Flooding is affecting the A55 between Conwy and Llandegai.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-27550939

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #890 on: May 23, 2014, 11:29:05 pm »

Looks as though the £3m spent on preventing flooding on that section of the A55 was a waste of time. I think I said something similar at the time.  &shake&

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #891 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:28 am »
Just been watching Bangkok on the BBC News again this morning.

For such a large city, I think it is amazing how the media always seem to be in the right place at the right time to capture their newsworthy items.

One of our daughters has been working in Bangkok for the past three years and lives in the area where it is supposed to be happening and our daughter has still not seen anything.

I certainly hope it stay that way until the problem is resolved.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #892 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:06 pm »
It must be an anxious time for you Bri so I hope that your daughter and every one else there will be ok in this latest incident.
My brother has just come back from there after being out there for 6 months so he has just missed the curfew and every thing else. 

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #893 on: May 24, 2014, 11:08:32 pm »
I spent about half a dozen buying trips to Bangkok,   and I saw some VERY strange goings on!   :o

I think you need to be unshockable to live or work there.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #894 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:53 pm »

Looks as though the £3m spent on preventing flooding on that section of the A55 was a waste of time. I think I said something similar at the time.  &shake&

A55 flooding: AM calls for investigation after £3m drainage works failed
May 26, 2014 10:31 By David Powell

Hundreds of holidaymakers were stuck in queues for hours in parts of Conwy and Gwynedd

An Assembly Member is calling for an  investigation into why £3m drainage  works failed to prevent flooding on the  A55 which caused massive traffic disruption at the start of the Bank Holiday  weekend.

Hundreds of cars, many carrying holidaymakers, faced jams as traffic on a  westbound stretch of the A55 in Conwy  and Gwynedd came to a complete standstill after heavy rain on Friday.

The carriageway became awash  between 5.30pm and about 10pm  between junction 12 Roman Road at  Tal-y-Bont and junction 11 Llandygai/Bethesda.

Queues stretched back as far as the  Conwy tunnel, which was closed.

Highways officers were at the scene  and motorists were diverted 50 miles  along the A470 and then A5.

In January 2013, the Welsh Government carried out £3m worth of improvements over eight weeks.

This followed flooding in  November  2012, when a deluge of rain and 100mph  winds closed the A55 for almost 12 hours  in peak travel times in both directions  between Llanfairfechan and Bangor.

And now Plaid Cymru AM Rhun  Ap Iorwerth said the delays caused a  “major economic threat”.

He added: “It’s a major problem. We  can’t be having our major transport  artery closed due to rain. We can’t afford  for that to happen.”

The AM said: “I will be asking questions about how it (flooding) has not  been sorted it out. The fact it can and did  happen on a bank holiday weekend is  proof it is an economic threat.

“Even though people got through to  Anglesey and Gwynedd it’s not going to  create the best impression when they are  deciding where they want to go on  holiday next time.”

Former Anglesey councillor Barrie  Durkin, who accommodated eight stranded families at his guesthouse, fears the  traffic jams will deter future visitors.

Mr Durkin, who runs Aber Falls Lodge  in Abergwyngregyn, said: “It appears  that the drains were not taking the  quantity of rainwater that they should.

“They have spent £3m trying to alleviate flooding, including in this area,  but it’s quite clear that it hasn’t worked.  It beggars belief after such a large  amount of public money was spent.”

He said on Friday disorientated tourists abandoned their journeys and took  sanctuary at his guesthouse.

Mr Durkin added: “We had to put  people up overnight and filled eight  chalets. We also had some people we  couldn’t accommodate stay in the village. Some women and children were  distraught. They didn’t know there had  been a flood. In this day and age not  having the information is totally unacceptable.”

Cllr Hywel Roberts said the drainage  improvements haven’t worked.

He added: “When is the Welsh Government going to tackle this problem  properly? This is a problem that’s been  known about for years.

“It’s high time that Welsh Government  Ministers started taking the problems of  the A55 seriously.”

A Welsh Government  spokesman said: “Problems on the A55  westbound this weekend were due to  exceptional localised rain fall within a  very short space of time, causing a significant amount of debris to block pipework running under the road.

“This was a complex problem to resolve and not directly related to any  recent works on the drainage systems,  which operated well during the severe  weather. Immediate action was taken  and the road is currently operating normally.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/a55-flooding-am-calls-investigation-7172016

Offline Nemesis

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #896 on: June 19, 2014, 01:58:47 pm »
Helicopter rescue at rest and Be Thankful in progress now.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #897 on: June 19, 2014, 03:16:48 pm »
The Marine drive w3as closed from the zig zgs to allow the helicopter t oland at the cafe. One man taken by ambulance to hospital after an hour and a half.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #898 on: June 19, 2014, 05:28:49 pm »
Dodgy scone?

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #899 on: June 19, 2014, 06:47:02 pm »
Dodgy scone?

Well it is Thursday!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero