Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 580884 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #870 on: February 24, 2014, 09:00:56 am »
Here's the full quote from the Reg:

"Although that particular glitch is real and irritating, it turned out not to be the showstopper that Apple patched on Friday: others have since uncovered a staggering cock-up that appeared in the latest available open-source code for Apple's SSL security library, specifically in the SSLVerifySignedServerKeyExchange() function.

Aptly, it's a double goto fail; so the code skips a vital verification step when exchanging keys with the server to prove its identity and authenticity. Oops."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #871 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:28 am »
If you have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac try loading this site:

https://www.imperialviolet.org:1266

It should come back 'access denied' or something similar. If you get a message saying 'If you see this..." then you need to get the update.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #872 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:22 pm »
   Ian, on your advice I had a look at "stop press" as I have an iPad.

All I can say is I consider myself "reasonably" capable with computers. But after reading the last few posts I scratched my head and made a cup of tea.   Read it again. Scratched head again. Read them a third time.

How on earth have you accumulated all this knowledge?  I really struggle to get the gist never mind put it into action.    Mike

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #873 on: February 24, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »
Join the club Mike!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #874 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:42 pm »
Mike and Yorkie, you guys are WAY ahead of me.... so don't ever feel like you are behind on this stuff.

OK, I'm no great yardstick, but I would hazard a guess that you are ahead of 99% of the population too.  $good$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #875 on: February 25, 2014, 07:09:04 am »
How on earth have you accumulated all this knowledge?

:D  A long time ago I used to write games for a company called Sinclair. That's when I learnt how to use Assembler and I've tried to keep abreast of what's happened since. 

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #876 on: February 25, 2014, 08:16:03 am »
My first PC was an Apple Euro plus with two floppy drives and a massive 16k of memory!  In about 1980 I managed to write an accounting suite for one of my businesses for this computer.  Due to the lack of memory i had to code each document or entry and go to and from the disc drives where the information was stored to retrieve data.  This machine was interfaced to an electronic typewriter on which all the printing was done.   Those were the days!
I used the ever popular BASIC language.   How things have changed since then!
 :D

There was a form of internet mail called something Gold, but I never got to use it.  Maybe Ian can remember.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #877 on: February 25, 2014, 10:08:56 am »
  For me Ian has hit the nail on the head quote "tried to keep ahead of what's happened"

You read a few mags, wander around on your PC etc for a few months, and begin to think you know a little bit about it. Then for whatever reason you become diverted to another interest (going to pub?)) and you leave it alone for a few months.

Come back and you are in a different tech world

Offline Dave

« Reply #878 on: March 07, 2014, 07:12:44 pm »
A major crime in Craig-y-Don today !

Someone stole my green garden waste recycling bags...all six of them ! How low can you go !!!

Anyone living near a No35 where there is a sudden appearance of the said bags with a large black felt pen number 35 on , can you please pass on my sympathies for their presumably desperate financial standing that they can't afford to buy their own.Must have a large garden though !

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #879 on: March 08, 2014, 07:43:50 pm »
A major crime in Craig-y-Don today !

Someone stole my green garden waste recycling bags...all six of them ! How low can you go

Happened to me twice Dave. I put mine out on the junction of Church Walks and North Parade because if I put them outside mine further up North Parade they weren't emptied. Twice someone thought they were lost and gave them a new home. Off to the Library £1:50p each for the replacement bags and I now put them out on Hill Terrace where a much nicer class of people reside.

Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #880 on: March 10, 2014, 01:51:32 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-wrexham-fight-back-over-6792821

Personally prefer them both to boredudno but then I am under 80  WWW

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #881 on: March 10, 2014, 03:41:28 pm »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/rhyl-wrexham-fight-back-over-6792821

"South east Rhyl ward Cllr Blakeley, who retired from the Wirral to Rhyl in 1993, also said the town boasts Rhyl FC, the popular Vue cinema and the Pavilion Theatre, which is often packed out with Christmas pantos and stars like Marty Wilde, a Michael Jackson tribute act and others."

And people complain about Venue Cymru  ;).
"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #882 on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:43 pm »

"South east Rhyl ward Cllr Blakeley, who retired from the Wirral to Rhyl in 1993, also said the town boasts Rhyl FC, the popular Vue cinema and the Pavilion Theatre, which is often packed out with Christmas pantos and stars like Marty Wilde, a Michael Jackson tribute act and others."

And people complain about Venue Cymru  ;).

That did make me laugh  :D
To be fair though I think for the size of the theatre Rhyl does a lot better than VC

Offline Jack

« Reply #883 on: March 20, 2014, 08:48:53 am »

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #884 on: March 31, 2014, 04:27:31 pm »

RESTORE LLANDUDNO BEACH TO ITS FORMER GLORY Public meeting at the Band Stand North Shore Promenade at 6:00pm this evening. If you love Llandudno and you think what CCBC are doing to the North Shore is nothing short of VANDALISM please come along and join the swelling murmur of discontent.

https://www.facebook.com/events/222603197948571/?ref=25
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)