Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573502 times)

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #540 on: November 28, 2012, 01:49:05 am »

I'm amazed, I've just had a 'phone call from cousins in Florida asking if we are ok.  Apparently American tv news has been showing St. Asaph.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #541 on: November 28, 2012, 10:41:00 am »

I'm amazed, I've just had a 'phone call from cousins in Florida asking if we are ok.  Apparently American tv news has been showing St. Asaph.

Florida, a wonderful place where many Brits go on holiday, and thousands more have bought property there and retired.

I wonder if the same level of resentment meets them when they do, or is that just reserved for the English in North Wales Llechwedd?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2012, 12:10:16 pm »
All my family over there are American citizens not retirees.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2012, 12:34:11 pm »
I never inferred that they were.
It was a general question, which you chose to side-step.
Fester...

Offline Jack

« Reply #544 on: December 06, 2012, 07:28:09 pm »
A55 is down to one lane in the Abergwyngregyn area again due to flooding:

NWPControlRoom ‏@NWPControlRoom

A55 westbound Abergwyngregyn to Talybont down to one lane due to flooding. #highways and #trafficwales in attendance along with #NWP

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #545 on: December 06, 2012, 08:39:55 pm »
Credit where it's due.  $thanx$ 2 weeks ago I lost both my recycling bins due to the strength of the wind coming up Hill Terrace. They probably ended up in Liverpool. I used the Councils on line reporting system and low and behold 2 brand new ones were delivered to my front door. Well done Conwy Council you've got something working well.  $good$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #546 on: December 07, 2012, 10:07:43 am »
This week I received my new info. about 'bin days' etc including a pink plastic bag from Crest for electrical items.
On the front it asks me not to put the following items in it--- TVs, fridges and washing machines.
The bag measures 14" x25" plus fixed gussets.
Think about it !!!!! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #547 on: December 07, 2012, 10:22:52 am »
I had not read that and I've just spent an hour trying to fit an old fridge in the bag!  :laugh:
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #548 on: December 07, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »
 :o _))*
I imagine the Council/Crest think we must all be thick !
Wonder if it is better to empty the old washer first ?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #549 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:44 pm »
But there is a more important aspect to this...

Putting electrical products is a bright pink bag outside your house... Hmmm.

Well, its paradise for rag/bone men, scrap metal men, and other unscrupulous types who might attempt to re-sell these items to unwitting bargain hunters.

They will be round in the middle of the night, collecting the bloody lot before any of these bags reach the recycling centre.  &shake&
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #550 on: December 08, 2012, 07:24:53 am »
If I have a defunct item I like to get my tools out and take them apart.   I save all the nuts, bolts screws or anything else that may be useful including the lead and plug and then what's left gets thrown out!   No good to man nor beast after I've had a go at it!    ZXZ
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #551 on: December 08, 2012, 08:31:53 am »

Well, its paradise for rag/bone men, scrap metal men, and other unscrupulous types who might attempt to re-sell these items to unwitting bargain hunters.

They will be round in the middle of the night, collecting the bloody lot before any of these bags reach the recycling centre.  &shake&

The same happens when people leave bags outside charity shops or depots outside their opening hours, the thieving inside the shops is bad enough, but where things can 'walk' unseen, I hate to imagine what goes. Our regular 'tea leaves' are closely watched, but we cannot mount 24 hour vigilance.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #552 on: December 09, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

I'm of the opinion that this is a poor idea, and will cause safety and security issues.
Opportunistic thieves may also decide to investigate the fact that a NEW item is likely to be in the property, replacing the old one which is in the pink bag!  &shake&
Fester...

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #553 on: December 10, 2012, 07:22:38 am »
The colour of the bag is of little importance as any enterprising tea leaf will know what colour the Council have chosen for certain items.   Better to just separate food from all other items and uses mechanical methods to divide up the different materials in the non food bag.   It can be done with the sophisticated recycling sorters available today and with the absolute minimum of human intervention.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #554 on: December 10, 2012, 08:38:35 am »

I'm of the opinion that this is a poor idea, and will cause safety and security issues.
Opportunistic thieves may also decide to investigate the fact that a NEW item is likely to be in the property, replacing the old one which is in the pink bag!  &shake&

This is why when one buys new items it is not a good idea to put the boxes out whole, they are better cut open and folded flat inwards. Thus no one knows if you have bought the poshest telly available ! :o