Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573335 times)

Offline Yorkie

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #510 on: November 24, 2012, 04:23:35 pm »
Almost!

Only problem is that you do't know it's a flood plain until it floods!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #511 on: November 24, 2012, 04:24:27 pm »

With respect there is nothing wrong with the A55 or the railway, it is the surrounding area that caused the problem.

Sorry SDQ, was not criticising your comment, merely using it as a last reference point?    In fact I tend to agree with what you say.   
 $good$

I suppose that you could equate that to building houses on a flood plain then.   They were aware of the problems but didn't have adequate drainage to cope with downpours, but isn't that bad planning?
Of course. If something isn't designed to cope with the area around it, then it obviously a bad design, surely!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #512 on: November 24, 2012, 04:25:42 pm »
Almost!

Surely you're not serious! The geography of an area doesn't change, a flood plain is a flood plain. The Meadows estate in Llandudno Junction is a great example - flooded how many times?

Offline Jack

« Reply #513 on: November 24, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »
Maybe some thought could be given to the surrounding land management.  Deforestation plays several roles in the flooding equation because trees prevent sediment run-off and forests hold and use more water than grasslands.  Thus a bit of afforestation wouldn't go amiss especially with native broadleaved species.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #514 on: November 24, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »
Almost!

Now don't be silly Yorkie you should know better than most. Just Google it and all areas will be revealed.    Local knowledge helps too but that area is prone to flooding and there are flood warning  signs telling you about it
My Dad was a sub contractor bricklayer and he was asked to build a house on some land locally so he told the owner that the ground was liable to flooding but the owner replied that if he wasn't prepared to do it then he would employ someone who would.
So Dad built the house and guess what happened the following year?    Yes it did flood just like Dad predicted.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #515 on: November 24, 2012, 04:39:26 pm »
Maybe some thought could be given to the surrounding land management.  Deforestation plays several roles in the flooding equation because trees prevent sediment run-off and forests hold and use more water than grasslands.  Thus a bit of afforestation wouldn't go amiss especially with native broadleaved species.

As long as they are not Ash Trees Jack!

Offline Jack

« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2012, 04:59:20 pm »

As long as they are not Ash Trees Jack!

Good point Hugo! Or they might have to close the road to fell them  :laugh:

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #517 on: November 24, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »
Almost!

Now don't be silly Yorkie you should know better than most. Just Google it and all areas will be revealed.    Local knowledge helps too but that area is prone to flooding and there are flood warning  signs telling you about it
My Dad was a sub contractor bricklayer and he was asked to build a house on some land locally so he told the owner that the ground was liable to flooding but the owner replied that if he wasn't prepared to do it then he would employ someone who would.
So Dad built the house and guess what happened the following year?    Yes it did flood just like Dad predicted.

Not so silly Hugo.  There has been lots of change in the geographical features of the land due to water level rising, land being built on for development and natural land drainage being covered by impervious coverings such as concrete, tarmac and the like.  Just look at the building and development that has gone on in Llandudno over the past years.  Trees have also been removed to create agricultural land with no thought of the possible water run off effects.

My Dad was in the Merchant Navy but I spent most of my career in the construction Industry so have seen the mass of land that has gone under concrete in my lifetime.
 ZXZ
Cicero

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #518 on: November 24, 2012, 05:09:19 pm »
Hugo,, my friend. I'm being picky here. Go back to your posts on stop press yesterday. I think you will find you have mixed up your westerlys with your easterleys. Go on, tell me I should have better things to do with my time than pick holes in good posts lol mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #519 on: November 24, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »
Mike do you mean my post today when I mentioned the westerly at Tal Y Bont, because there are two staggered sliproads there.  One goes easterly from Bangor to Conwy and is ok even if it is short but the one on the other side that goes westerly to Holyhead is dangerous.
It has a halt sign and goes at right angles to the road so you can't possibly build up any speed and it makes it dangerous for people coming on to the road,

Offline Hugo

« Reply #520 on: November 24, 2012, 11:27:40 pm »
Sorry Mike, I've reread my post and you are spot on regarding the 30mph stretch of road where "tooty tunnel" is.     It is the Eastbound lane and not the Westbound lane as I stated.
I must have been driving the wrong way.     :o     ^*^0

Hope that you are feeling better now than when I last saw you. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #521 on: November 25, 2012, 10:26:56 pm »
"police are stopping drivers going down Gloddaeth Lane nr Llandudno from Wormhout Way roundabout towards Penrhyn Bay. Believed to be due to flooding."

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2012, 09:04:34 am »
Here we go again:

Traffic news... A5 partially blocked near Corwen, because of flooding. Approach with care

Trains... Replacement bus running on Arriva Trains Wales between Holyhead & Llandudno Junction due to flooding.

Traffic news... Rain, surface water and visibility reduced on #A55 between J1, A5 (Kingsland Roundabout) and J11, A5 (#Llandygai).

Flood alert: River Conwy #Dolwyddelan to #Conwy. Rain to continue nxt few hrs; conditions to worsen. River at Bont Fawr, #Llanrwst rising

Pabo Lane near #LlandudnoJunction has been closed due to surface water.

Roads around #Glanwydden are flooded too, diversions are in place

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2012, 08:23:25 pm »
"police are stopping drivers going down Gloddaeth Lane nr Llandudno from Wormhout Way roundabout towards Penrhyn Bay. Believed to be due to flooding."

Yes, it is near the A470 end where the water is running off from St David's fields.   Blocked at Glanywydden Lane at the Penrhyn Bay end.
Cicero

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #524 on: November 27, 2012, 07:00:14 am »
Courtesy iof BBC Wales' Travel information:

Severe

A5 Corwen, both ways between B4401 and A494

A5 Denbighshire - A5 in Corwen closed in both directions between the B4401 junction and the A494 junction, because of flooding.
    updated Updated 4 minutes ago
    Show On Map

A525

A525 St Asaph, both ways between A55 J27 and A547

A525 Denbighshire - A525 closed in both directions between St Asaph and Rhuddlan, because of flooding.

A5

A5 Llangollen, both ways at Maesmawr Road

A5 Denbighshire - The carriageway is just passable on A5 in Llangollen around the Maesmawr Road junction, because of flooding.
    A494

A494 Ruthin, both ways between A525 Llanrhydd Road and B5429

A494 Denbighshire - The carriageway is just passable on A494 in Ruthin between the A525 Llanrhydd Road junction and the B5429 junction, because of flooding. Approach with care.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.