Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573870 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1890 on: January 15, 2022, 12:05:38 pm »
Wirral to Llandudno Mini run
 Tomorrow, the yearly event. Stop off at Rhos, then travel to the top of the Orme.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #1891 on: January 15, 2022, 04:12:04 pm »
Hugo, I've just been onto Findmypast and downloaded the 1921 Census for my Thomases at 5 Min y Don Cottages (Penmorfa). I was a bit confused as I searched on my Dad's name but there was just the page with the person details but no address. For anyone conducting a similar search, i found that it is necessary to click on “filmstrip” and scroll to the cover page for the address. I was then able to scroll to your family, Sam, Ellen and others but just the names. The charge for the  download was £3.15 (discounted price for FMP subscribers). Interestingly, the information includes the name and address of my Taid’s employer. An interesting snapshot of the era.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1892 on: January 16, 2022, 10:16:11 am »
Thanks for posting all that info about the 1921 Census SAJ.       I don't subscribe to FMP but it's free in the Archives and Library and I might go there soon.      As you know the official name of the Terrace was Min Y Don but locals called them Penmorfa Cottages.      My Nain called them Min Y Don when she talked about them but I have postcards written by my Taid when he was overseas in WWI  but they were addressed to 6 Penmorfa Cottages.
Just as a matter of interest how many children did John and Nain Thomas have?     Sam and Ellen Hughes had 7 but my mother Nancy (Annie) wasn't on that Census as she was the youngest of the 7 and was born in 1922.
There were 3 families, the Thomas',  Hughes' and the Robinsons who lived in those cottages but they all moved to Cwm Place when the cottages were demolished in 1936

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1893 on: January 16, 2022, 11:10:12 am »
Peris snr a great character friend from the links and peris jnr good mate, what number Cwm place did the robinsons live I remember them in ffordd las, still see Pam and Gwyneth about, always know them as penmorfa cottages. Hope your well Hugo.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1894 on: January 16, 2022, 12:11:19 pm »
Peris Snr was a great mate of your Dad Norman and I've mentioned on here before about  when your Dad caught a Conger Eel and it was hung outside of the No 6  doorway.   Peris came past it and although the Eel was dead it made a movement and smacked Peris in the eye giving him a real black eye
The Robinsons at 29 Cwm Place  ( flat above the Griffins )  were the Grandparents of Pam.     The Nain was called Charlotte but I can't remember the name of the Taid.   Lovely family though, all of them.

I wonder if the other 3 families from Penmorfa Cottages moved to Cwm Place too.     I'm old enough to remember all the families in the street so if I knew the names of those 3 families then I could possibly confirm it

PS   just had a thought and think that the Taid was called Ernest Robinson

Offline SAJ

« Reply #1895 on: January 16, 2022, 02:38:04 pm »
Hugo, the children of John and “Nain” Alice Thomas were Harriet, sadly died ‘flu pandemic 1918 aged 5 years, my Dad John, Adeline, Gwyneth and Peris.

I’ve attached a photo of Peris and Peggy’s wedding with my Dad, I take it as Best Man and Gwyneth as Bridesmaid.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1896 on: January 16, 2022, 03:47:02 pm »
Thanks for posting that photo SAJ  and it brought back nice memories of the Thomas family.    I did know the four children of John and Alice and now that you mentioned it I have a vague memory of my Mam telling me about Harriet.
When my parents married in 1943 Gwyneth was a bridesmaid and Adeline was in the wedding photo too

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: HAPPY ST DAVIDS DAY
« Reply #1897 on: March 01, 2022, 09:54:00 am »
 $welsh$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1898 on: March 13, 2022, 04:41:37 pm »
Heavy police presence in Abergele - live updates
Police cars and officers are focusing on an area of the town

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/heavy-police-presence-abergele-live-23375421

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1899 on: March 14, 2022, 03:07:08 pm »
This maybe an update on your story Hugo.......

Police launched drone in hunt to find two intruders found in man's house
The major search took place yesterday in Llandulas, Pensarn and Abergele but they suspects remain at large

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/police-launched-drone-hunt-find-23381052

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1900 on: March 14, 2022, 05:32:14 pm »
Thanks for the update Steve,  It must have been a shock for the homeowner and I hope that they are ok and that the Police find the thieves

When I hear of stories like that I always think of the time when two burglars broke into the home of Duncan Ferguson, the Everton footballer.      Unfortunately for the two misfits, Big Dunc was in the house at the time and one burglar was taken to hospital and the other one sustained injuries and both were arrested
Now that's what I call justice     $good$

Offline SteveH

Re: Stop Press ...Llandudno
« Reply #1901 on: April 28, 2022, 12:11:01 pm »
LIVE: Major search launched off Llandudno coast for missing man
Lifeboat crews and the coastguard helicopter are searching for the man near the Great Orme

PS  11:36
Man has been found safe and well
Good news to report. North Wales Police say the man "has been located safe and well".

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-major-search-launched-llandudno-23809143

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1902 on: May 13, 2022, 01:15:43 pm »
Air ambulance landed on the Oval about 12.30  met by land ambulance 12.35 just taken off again 13.10  no more info

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1903 on: May 13, 2022, 01:55:19 pm »
UPDATE ON ABOVE

LIVE: Air ambulance in Llandudno amid large emergency services response to incident
A number of ambulances and police officers are at the scene in Mostyn Street

A witness said members of the public appeared to be giving first aid to a casualty on Mostyn Street, Llandudno, this afternoon. Crews from four ambulance vehicles also attended.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-air-ambulance-llandudno-amid-23949805

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1904 on: May 15, 2022, 10:02:05 am »
Sad update on above............         ref DP

A man has died following a medical emergency in the centre of Llandudno on Friday (May 13). Shoppers and visitors watched a large response by the emergency services as three ambulances descended on Mostyn Street and an air ambulance landed nearby.