Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 579066 times)

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1335 on: November 02, 2015, 10:57:49 pm »
                                              'One thing we can rule out, it wasn't anything he ate while staying there'

It was actually a tactless and thoughtless comment; it might have been a misplaced attempt at humour, but I don't think that it would make pleasant reading for his family or friends.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Giggly girl

« Reply #1336 on: November 12, 2015, 07:11:10 pm »
Chinese whispers that Mostyn Estates are planning a food centre type business in Llandudno rather like Bodnant Food Centre.  That should be a tourist winner.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1337 on: November 13, 2015, 07:08:43 am »
For those of you who have visited Harrogate or even the mention of Harrogate and most people will say Betty;s tearooms,how nobody with money in Llandudno has not done a similar project i don;t know,quality would be really appreciated,no brainer,anyone got a spare million.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1338 on: November 13, 2015, 08:20:10 am »
Sorry Wrex, if I did have a spare million, I wouldn't spend it on making cakes for the blue-rinse brigade. Coincidentally, I'm in Harrogate tomorrow, but won't be going to Bettys, mainly because I know there will be a queue out of the door. There are five or so Bettys Tea Rooms, and I have to agree that one in Llandudno would probably be as popular a venue as Harrogate.
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #1339 on: November 13, 2015, 10:04:27 am »
Now Wrex...........................If yet another Coffee Shop /  Tea Room or  whatever floats your boat, why not contact Betty's?? I believe Taylors of Harrogate are the people behind it ! Do let us know the response.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1340 on: November 13, 2015, 11:59:28 am »
I think as yorkshire folk might be able to get a better answer.lol

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1341 on: November 13, 2015, 01:09:54 pm »
Possibly Betty's prices would be more than the average holiday maker would pay, but of course there is the Yorkshire saying. "More brass than wit !" :o ;D

Offline Dave

« Reply #1342 on: November 13, 2015, 08:45:49 pm »
Possibly Betty's prices would be more than the average holiday maker would pay, but of course there is the Yorkshire saying. "More brass than wit !" :o ;D

Can't be any more expensive than Costa Lot et al.

Offline hollins

« Reply #1343 on: November 13, 2015, 09:37:47 pm »
Worth every penny in my view for the quality, service and presentation.

http://issuu.com/bettysandtaylors/docs/autumn-winter-main-menu-2015?e=1631292/11912189

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1344 on: November 14, 2015, 02:35:29 pm »
 *&( $donald$

Offline alw

« Reply #1345 on: November 14, 2015, 06:27:23 pm »
For those of you who have visited Harrogate or even the mention of Harrogate and most people will say Betty;s tearooms,how nobody with money in Llandudno has not done a similar project i don;t know,quality would be really appreciated,no brainer,anyone got a spare million.

I too, enjoy a visit to Betty's when "oop north" and it is without equal now that Badgers Cafe in the Victoria Centre is no more.

Badger's was a perfect example of a high quality tearooms and it won all sorts of awards, unfortunately it failed due to high rents and council tax.
Things are never so bad that they can't get worse.

I never said it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1346 on: November 15, 2015, 02:06:53 pm »

I too, enjoy a visit to Betty's when "oop north" and it is without equal now that Badgers Cafe in the Victoria Centre is no more.

Badger's was a perfect example of a high quality tearooms and it won all sorts of awards, unfortunately it failed due to high rents and council tax.

Badger's failed because it was prosecuted and heavily fined for repeatedly breaching hygiene regulations. The café that now occupies the premises is successful and a delight to visit. 

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1347 on: November 16, 2015, 11:39:16 am »
 I have written here before that there is NOTHING that sticks in public minds more than a newspaper report of a public health prosecution, in particular if it is a pricey upper class type of place. There have been umpteen examples of this. If you are prosecuted the only thing you can do is shut up shop.

Offline Mr Tunnock

Conwy landlord Mark Thorogood ordered to repay record housing benefit sum
« Reply #1348 on: November 23, 2015, 04:54:15 pm »

Mr Thorogood, who refers to himself as "the Pied Piper of Llandudno", has been ordered to repay nearly £50,000
A landlord who once referred to himself as the “Pied Piper of Llandudno ” has been ordered to repay a record amount of housing benefit.

Mark Thorogood has been ordered by The Property Tribunal Wales to refund Conwy council £47,955, the largest such refund of its kind in Wales,

Earlier this year Mr Thorogood, of Townsend House, Beaumaris , was convicted of failing to licence his properties as HMOs.

Landlords who operate a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO) without a licence may have to repay housing benefit.

Conwy council applied for a repayment order to reclaim money paid to Mr Thorogood in housing benefit relating to six properties in Llandudno.

On October 7 a Residential Property tribunal assessed the case.

A Conwy Council spokesman said: “The panel were satisfied the council had complied with the legal requirements before making the application to the Residential Property Tribunal.

“Mr Thorogood confirmed that the Authority had acted correctly.

Llandudno landlord back in court - this time for unlicensed properties

“Mr Thorogood has until noon on Friday, 12th February 2016 to pay the money back to Conwy council.”

In June Mr Thorogood was fined £100,000 after making fraudulent mortgage claims.

The ban was handed down because of false statements of earning being made in order to secure mortgages and a failure to properly monitor his staff at his companies.

Cllr Philip Evans, Conwy’s Cabinet Member for Regulation, said, “We believe this is the largest Rent Repayment Order to be awarded in Wales and the third largest in England and Wales.

“Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is important because it raises management, safety and amenity standards, thereby protecting both the tenants and the local community. Poor standards in rented properties can have adverse effects on neighbourhoods and spoil the quality of life for others.

Conwy landlord fined for fraudulent mortgage claims rakes in £100k from housing benefit

“This case should send a clear message to all landlords that we will take action if they fail to apply to licence an HMO, and we will seek to recover housing benefit paid when they were operating an HMO outside the law.”

In June Mr Thorogood said: “I’ve made mistakes but my ambition is to be honest and true.

“I have been victimised. I am an entrepreneur and I will take a few calculated risks.

“I have housed more people than you can imagine. I am the pied piper of Llandudno and I had tenants chasing me asking for somewhere to live.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/conwy-landlord-mark-thorogood-ordered-10486797#comments-section

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1349 on: November 24, 2015, 11:57:24 am »
Sorry Wrex, if I did have a spare million, I wouldn't spend it on making cakes for the blue-rinse brigade. Coincidentally, I'm in Harrogate tomorrow, but won't be going to Bettys, mainly because I know there will be a queue out of the door. There are five or so Bettys Tea Rooms, and I have to agree that one in Llandudno would probably be as popular a venue as Harrogate.
Bettys is a fantastic business, I visited earlier this year. If I were opening such a business in Llandudno, I would want a location like the Carlton or Coffee Culture to maximise revenue.