Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573068 times)

Offline Gavel

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1290 on: September 09, 2015, 11:34:26 pm »
I'm with you. I can't afford to spend too much. Thanks for the response.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1291 on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »
I heard on the 10.00am traffic news that a vehicle had overturned on Waun Road Glanwydden near to the Queens Head pub and was blocking the road.
I've been unable to find out anything else about the accident or if anyone was hurt in it.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1292 on: September 21, 2015, 08:25:23 am »
Fron the Daily Post:

" Lifeboat teams from Criccieth and Pwllheli were called out to help a lone yachtsman whose boat had run aground trying to get into Pwllheli around 8.45pm last night. A Holyhead Coastguard spokesman said Abersoch and Criccieth coastguard volunteers were also alerted. The boat was secured for the night."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1293 on: October 05, 2015, 07:59:33 am »
From BBC News:

"A motorbike passenger has died following a crash in Conwy county.

The woman, who was in her 70s, was on the back of the BMW on the A470 near Betws-y-Coed when it collided with a Nissan Qashqai at about 14:15 BST on Sunday, 4.9.15.

North Wales Police said the male rider remains in a serious condition at Ysbyty Gwynedd hospital in Bangor.

The road near Waterloo Bridge re-opened just after 19:00."
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1294 on: October 05, 2015, 04:08:53 pm »
The passenger on the Bike has now died.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1295 on: October 05, 2015, 04:14:35 pm »
Do you mean the rider?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1296 on: October 05, 2015, 04:24:01 pm »

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1297 on: October 05, 2015, 04:43:12 pm »
Ok it's just that it said the passenger had died in the original report. Terrible tragedy anyway, seems to happen more and more lately around here.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1298 on: October 08, 2015, 12:18:39 pm »
Ok it's just that it said the passenger had died in the original report. Terrible tragedy anyway, seems to happen more and more lately around here.
We were in Betws Y Coed on Sunday lunchtime and saw that the A470 was closed when we were leaving, so took the B5106 back down to Conwy.

I think that Betws has been spoilt by the vast numbers of motorbikes that turn up there at the weekend now, it's a constant stream of revving bikes going through the town and around the Station area, there must have been a hundred or more there last Sunday. It's not what people come to the National Park for really, is it?

Offline Dave

« Reply #1299 on: October 08, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
We were in Betws Y Coed on Sunday lunchtime and saw that the A470 was closed when we were leaving, so took the B5106 back down to Conwy.

I think that Betws has been spoilt by the vast numbers of motorbikes that turn up there at the weekend now, it's a constant stream of revving bikes going through the town and around the Station area, there must have been a hundred or more there last Sunday. It's not what people come to the National Park for really, is it?

Couldn't agree more. I drove down to Rhayader the weekend before last and the number of motorbikes driven at stupid speeds that we came across along the route was depressing. A walk in the hills above the A5, somewhere like Moel Siabod is ruined by the constant noise of speeding bikes and 30mph zones like at the bottom of the Llanberis Pass are totally ignored as bikes pour through doing 60mph..
I happen to think Richard Brunstrom was right in his intentions when he showed the press pictures of a decapitated biker. He was trying to get the press to start backing his anti speeding campaign instead of mocking his efforts as the Mad Mullah of the Traffic Taliban.
It's not just a selfish minority either, it's a selfish majority of bikers that are a menace on North Wales roads from what I can see.
That said, I think speed traps like the one that is set up in the dip as after you go past Robertsons in Llanrhos is just a money maker and has little to do with road safety.

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1300 on: October 08, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
  In reply to Dave (not DaveR in the previous post) I have often thought the speed limits around Robertsons are completely wrong. Where it says 30 mph I should be 40, and where it says 40 it should be 30. In both directions.
  Driving from Deganwy to Llandudno you go though the 30 which extends into fields by the cemetery but then as you approach houses. a very busy traffic island, triple the amount of traffic joining off the "new" road, guess what? Its up to 40.
 In the reverse direction after you go past Robertsons at 30 you then go up to 40 just in time to drive into the area with a large estate on the right and a school not far away. Agreed now its down to 30 again, but you take my gist.

Offline Dave

« Reply #1301 on: October 09, 2015, 08:14:21 am »
I agree entirely Mike. To make even more of a nonsense of the radar van in the Robertson's dip, it was there on a Saturday when presumably there is no one around to exit their premises.
I was under the impression that radar vans should be placed in spots with a history of accidents too. Not aware of any here.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1302 on: October 21, 2015, 10:48:47 am »
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/girl-hit-bus-near-aberconwy-10301872

Witnessed this on the way to work this morning. Kids always running across that road not looking.

Offline FatAndy

« Reply #1303 on: October 21, 2015, 07:11:48 pm »
I agree entirely Mike. To make even more of a nonsense of the radar van in the Robertson's dip, it was there on a Saturday when presumably there is no one around to exit their premises.

I was under the impression that radar vans should be placed in spots with a history of accidents too. Not aware of any here.

A car overturned onto its roof in an accident in Deganwy this morning, in which a woman in her 30s suffered a back injury. Three marked police cars, an ambulance and a fire engine attended the scene on Pentywyn Road, near Fugro Robertson's, at around 8.30am.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/car-overturns-onto-roof-deganwy-6137564

A cyclist has suffered serious injuries after a road crash.  Emergency services were called to Pentywyn Road, Deganwy, near the entrance to Robertson Research at around 10.40am today.
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/cyclist-suffers-serious-injuries-after-8677198

A MOTORCYCLIST was taken to hospital after a crash near Deganwy yesterday morning.  Four vehicles were involved in the incident on Pentywyn Road.
http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-200083715.html

Personally I don't think it makes sense to only put cameras in places where accidents have already happened because by then it might be too late.  Wouldn't they better used to prevent accidents from happening in the first place?

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

Emo Philips

Offline Dave

« Reply #1304 on: October 21, 2015, 10:48:20 pm »
Thanks for pointing those incidents out. ... an average of one every 24 months is too high but although Pentwyn Rd is mentioned it appears only two might be in the area of road being monitored by the radar van and in fact, even they are doubtful too. The van only monitors traffic heading towards Deganwy.
I would think there have been more accidents on the Prom in Llandudno but I have yet to see any form of traffic monitoring there.