Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 583507 times)

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1155 on: December 19, 2014, 02:10:05 pm »
I have a vague recollection of being on the bus going to Llandudno in the 60's and the bus slowed down  in the area of the lido. Someone shouted there she is and everyone migrated to the right hand side of the bus and jostling each other to get a look out of the window at a large house with a red roof with a very flash car in the drive. I asked Mum who it was and she said someone famous, so I thought I would have a better look too and had a telling off and told to behave myself and sit down. Being only 10 I didn't understand any of it, but had a good look on the way back.
May she rest in peace now, as I'm sure what happened haunted her all her life.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1156 on: December 19, 2014, 03:02:51 pm »
Your description of the house has reminded me it was actually called Red Roof or Red Roofs and the property is still there today.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1157 on: December 19, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »
You're spot on Bri with the house.   When I used to go to the Lido the house stood out but since the 60's other houses have been built around it.
I think that we have some photos in the Gallery here and they show the house on the photo.  Can't think who lived there though.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1158 on: December 19, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »
Yes, it was Red Roofs - later owned by K Smith, a consultant surgeon at Llandudno Hospital. I think he may have built another, similar property in the quite extensive grounds.  Quite what Mandy was doing there is a mystery.  She seemed to fare better post the Affair than Christine Keeler but despite the latter's problems - health and housing - Mandy was the first to go.

Offline Mikethewatch

« Reply #1159 on: December 19, 2014, 06:28:24 pm »
Wonder if it will get one of those plaques  ;)

Offline Dwyforite

« Reply #1160 on: December 21, 2014, 12:40:24 am »
i remember her,i was a young hod carrier and was working on the block of flats opposite and she was bathing topless across the road not so strange now but in the sixties WOW i was up and down that ladder like a ferret because the best view was from the first floor which i was loading out,if i remember correctly she came down here to get away from the press who had just opened up on the story in london

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1161 on: December 21, 2014, 08:10:10 am »
You've were a very naughty boy Dwyforite        $smack$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #1162 on: December 21, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »
she was bathing topless across the road not so strange now but in the sixties WOW

I dunno Dwyforite,  it's still quite strange for round here.... I should know,  I've looked everywhere!   :laugh: :laugh:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1163 on: December 28, 2014, 12:50:36 pm »
           Air Ambulance landed on Llandudno Rugby Club car park. It is reported that someone has had an accident in the flats nearby which required urgent treatment.

Offline Hugo

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1164 on: January 02, 2015, 04:51:31 pm »
Driving past the Washington Hotel on the Promenade at about 1.00 pm today I saw about 3 Police  scientific support vans and a Police car parked by the nearby flats.
A couple of guys in the white gear were going into a property and it looked like something had happened to create such a Police presence.
Anyone know what's going on there?

Just seen the BBC News

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-attacked-llandudno-flat-left-8374936

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1165 on: February 11, 2015, 08:44:20 am »
I've moved all the posts which were not strictly 'Stop Press' posts into the TT coffee centre.  I appreciate how easy it is to drift off topic, but if we can try to keep this for the truly significant and immediate events it'll probably be of more use.  Ta!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #1166 on: March 04, 2015, 10:26:50 pm »
Not sure whats going on but I am receiving reports if a robery or may-be a ram raid at the Nationwide Bank in LLandudno this evening

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1167 on: March 04, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »
Mostly nat closed of burnt out car in Craig y don evidently.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1168 on: March 05, 2015, 07:15:07 am »
Jut before 2000 the Nationwide was broken into.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-31744603
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #1169 on: March 25, 2015, 03:46:01 pm »
Grand Theatre is sold at auction for £140k.