Author Topic: Stop Press  (Read 573866 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1005 on: September 27, 2014, 08:14:14 am »
I have to agree.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1006 on: September 27, 2014, 09:43:15 am »
North Wales parents to be fined for children's truancy     (posted yesterday 12.12)

I re read the article, And it would appear to be more serious than holidays in term time. the new measures are aimed at persistent and hard core truancy, and the long term effect on their education. 

Schools in the region have begun informing parents of a crackdown on absenteeism, following a change in policy by the Welsh Government.

“Persistent truancy is obviously a problem."
“Parents need to be part of the solution and not be further alienated from the education of their children."

“What we would like to see is the Welsh Government taking a different approach and instead working closely with local authorities to ensure that there are support systems in place for parents and schools to call upon to deal with hard core truancy.”

“This is a very serious issue that impacts on the life chances of individuals and the overall ability of schools to ensure high standards."
“Financially punishing parents will, in all likelihood, hit the most vulnerable people and those families closest to the poverty line.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-parents-fined-childrens-7837659

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1007 on: September 27, 2014, 11:37:47 am »
I believe fining for taking holidays during term time has been gong on for some years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Dave

« Reply #1008 on: September 27, 2014, 05:00:40 pm »
I believe fining for taking holidays during term time has been gong on for some years.

The rule is there but I am under the impression it isn't implemented though

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1009 on: September 27, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »
It's dependent on the school and the Headteacher.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1010 on: September 27, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »
“What we would like to see is the Welsh Government taking a different approach and instead working closely with local authorities to ensure that there are support systems in place for parents and schools to call upon to deal with hard core truancy.”

I agree with the above, there are different levels of truancy, fining parents will help short term, but there is probably an underlying issue why these children stay away, slow learners etc made to feel stupid, mickey taking, it's easier not to go in, and it's only recently that dyslexia/ADD were recognized.
The down side of being under educated, apart from poor job prospects, is I think, these are the youngsters who end up in trouble, drugs, crime, and a criminal record, then they have children, and another cycle starts all over again.
I think it would be better and more economical to sort the problem now, rather than later, ...if it's not to late.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1011 on: September 27, 2014, 06:24:17 pm »
The down side of being under educated, apart from poor job prospects, is I think, these are the youngsters who end up in trouble, drugs, crime, and a criminal record, then they have children, and another cycle starts all over again.

I agree to a point, Steve, but these children tend to be in a mess before they ever reach a school. Tackling bad parenting is the only answer, and it has to start very early.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1012 on: September 27, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »

I agree to a point, Steve, but these children tend to be in a mess before they ever reach a school. Tackling bad parenting is the only answer, and it has to start very early.
I think that's what I was trying to say,(another cycle starts) it's to late for past generations, we have already seen the results of letting them slip through the net, it needs to be sorted now, and I think "fining" is the easy way out, pass the buck sort of thing.
They need educating, what ever it takes, to break the cycle.    easy..

I remember on TV , a kid breaking into a school in Africa, not to steal,... but to be part of the class, now that's the attitude needed,

Offline Cat Stevens

« Reply #1013 on: September 29, 2014, 05:08:57 pm »
Just driven along rhos sea front and noticed mr Dickens house was crawling with police including scene of crime

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1014 on: September 29, 2014, 05:23:45 pm »
Who is Mr Dickens?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1015 on: September 29, 2014, 06:03:38 pm »
Who is Mr Dickens?

He's  the Mr Dickens  ME      ;D

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1016 on: September 29, 2014, 06:22:16 pm »
Ref Daily post Blog 3.40PM

ARRESTS: Two people have been arrested today in an "ongoing incident" in Rhos on Sea, North Wales Police said. Four police cars were seen at a house near the promenade earlier today. Police would release no further details.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1017 on: September 29, 2014, 06:38:36 pm »
Ref. D.P. Blog today

PETROL: Supermarkets are slashing the price of their fuel in a move that will provide some autumn cheer for motorists. Sainsbury's led the way by announcing that from tomorrow it would be cutting the price of its petrol and its diesel by up to 5p a litre. Then Asda announced that from tomorrow it would be reducing its petrol by 1p a litre and diesel by up to 2p a litre.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1018 on: September 29, 2014, 08:06:45 pm »
Who is Mr Dickens?

He's  the Mr Dickens  ME      ;D

Still none the wiser!  ???
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline viv

« Reply #1019 on: September 29, 2014, 09:26:58 pm »
Would that be Mr Steve Dickens by any chance?