Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360501 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #765 on: March 20, 2017, 02:20:50 pm »
Some of those metal posts on the West Shore promenade could use that paint you have described Steve because on the seaward side of the posts the paint has been sand blasted.    I was there about mid day and should have taken a photo of the back of one of those posts.
Some work on the sand clearance was going on in the boating lake but not much elsewhere.    It was very windy there but the workmen were lucky because it had rained today so the sand was heavier than usual and did not blow about as it usually does.    Those guys were lucky or they could have been sand blasted too.
Once the blown sand is removed I wonder where on the beach they will deposit it,  surely they won't be stupid enough to pile it up above the high water mark, or will they?        &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #766 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:32 pm »
Hi Hugo did you see where they were putting that sand from the lake ,as that has to go away because it's contaminated ,did you notice if they were clearing the cycle path 😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #767 on: March 20, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »
Hi Norman,   I didn't wait around to see where they deposited the sand from the lake but I'll be back there again soon to have a look.   I couldn't see any work going on at the cycle track so I didn't walk along to the sandhills.

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #768 on: March 20, 2017, 04:17:23 pm »
No work on the cycle track yet

Offline Hugo

« Reply #769 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:28 pm »
I couldn't see any when I was by the boating lake today but when it's cleared cyclists will have to make the most of it because it won't be cleared for long.        *cycle*

*tumble*

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #770 on: March 21, 2017, 08:42:34 am »
We walked along from West Shore to Conwy last week and were amazed at how well Nature had landscaped the cycle path back to its original state.  :laugh:

Seriously, we need to stop wasting taxpayers money on moving sand around pointlessly. Just face the fact that the area is a sand dune and leave it alone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #771 on: March 21, 2017, 09:27:03 am »
It is a nice walk along the soft sand from the car park up to where the Black Rocks used to be and I've seen many families having a great time there in the Summer months.
It's a place for sandhills as nature intended and the idea of a cycle track should now be scrapped.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #772 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:23 am »
Some cyclists prepare for  the sand on the cycle path.....
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #773 on: April 04, 2017, 03:50:17 pm »
With Easter just around the corner I thought that I'd have a stroll on the cycle path at the West Shore and see how the sand clearance is coming along.  After taking a few photos I returned to the car park but before getting to the car park I stopped to admire the sculpture of the Open Sky -West Shore Shelter, a long low curve of bronze set into the ground.
It's so reassuring to know that CCBC are investing our money so wisely

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #774 on: April 04, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »
Thanks for the update, looks an expensive operation, men, machines and the time involved, I agree with DaveR.....
Seriously, we need to stop wasting taxpayers money on moving sand around pointlessly. Just face the fact that the area is a sand dune and leave it alone.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #775 on: April 04, 2017, 04:57:07 pm »
Steve, just in case you are like myself one of the many who doesn't understand the meaning of the sculpture this is it's creative meaning.   It has been translated from the Arty Farty language into English so that we can appreciate the thought that went into this masterpiece.

By the way when I asked the CCBC for the annual cost of sand clearance on the West Shore I was told that it was just over £3K.      That's a bargain considering all the men and machinery involved, that's if their reply under the FOI Act was correct   &shake&

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #776 on: April 04, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
Thanks H. your skepticism over the costs, I think is justified, no way is whats happening now costs £3000, how long has the work been going on ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #777 on: April 04, 2017, 06:37:19 pm »
I'm not sure Steve as I haven't been there since the 20th March and they were clearing the boating lake then.   There's a lot more to clear on the cycle path though as they are only about half way to where the Black Rocks used to be.

I think someone in the CCBC told me porkies but that's probably to save them any embarrassment with their man made disaster.
By the way it was a bit windy there but nothing compared to how it can be and I made the mistake of not taking protective glasses with me but I could see the sand blowing back already.     :o

Offline Hugo

« Reply #778 on: June 08, 2017, 12:26:36 pm »
I had a nice short walk along part of the cycle track yesterday and walked as far as the old Black Rocks area.    It was a lovely sunny day but very windy but thankfully the sand was not blowing about too much.
It's a lovely stretch of the beach to walk along and the cycle track was visible for a bit of the way but the sand is encroaching again and it won't be long before it covers the track.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:48 am »
I never understand how, at a time of supposed shortage of cash at CCBC, money is always found to spend on clearing the sand away pointlessly?