Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370424 times)

Offline Mr Tunnock

Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #705 on: July 03, 2016, 07:16:30 pm »
I came across this on a web site.
The cost of clearing the West Shore of sand,

Dear Sir/Madam

Please find below information in response to your Freedom of Information request.

• Could you please tell me who is responsible for keeping the West Shore Cycle Path clear?

Environment Roads & Facilities department of Conwy County Borough Council.

• What cost is it to the council to clear the path on a yearly basis

The annual cost for sand clearance will vary dependent on environmental conditions. In 2015/16, the total cost for sand clearance on public highways, pavements, promenade, boating lake and coastal path at West Shore was £31,505.63. We do not hold information regarding costs specific to the coastal path.

• Is any money rebated back to the council from outside bodies?

Wales Coast Path grant has contributed £3419.94 so far last financial year to the sand clearance at West Shore. The grant is 75% from Natural Resource Wales and 25% from Conwy.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/west_shore_cycle_path

Offline pebbles

« Reply #706 on: July 25, 2016, 11:29:51 am »
Anyone know if the plans to turn all of west shore / gloddeth / abbey road, etc etc into pay and display parking has gone through? I know the public consultation was a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard any more.. Scrapping free parking on West Shore would be a huge mistake :(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #707 on: July 25, 2016, 11:56:55 am »
Anyone know if the plans to turn all of west shore / gloddeth / abbey road, etc etc into pay and display parking has gone through? I know the public consultation was a couple of weeks ago, but haven't heard any more.. Scrapping free parking on West Shore would be a huge mistake

"A group of Councillors to look independently into the fairness of the plans and should they be introduced, and to report back in August"

"Before they had chance to report back, members of the cabinet committee emailed the Councillors telling them that these plans should be introduced."

These quotes from Councillor Saville's recent leaflet

Offline pkevin

« Reply #708 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:43 am »
Cabinet Committee behaving the same as EU bureaucrats, i.e. stuff democracy and do what we say.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #709 on: August 02, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »
It's seems a while since I was on the West Shore so I had a look there today.      The steps all seem to have gone now and that's before the Winter storms that will  come in a few months time.
The White Rabbit pond has now been paved over and there appears to have been some decorative planting done since I last came here.         &shake&

Offline SteveH

« Reply #710 on: August 02, 2016, 04:27:30 pm »
" some decorative planting done since I last came here."................... :laugh:

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #711 on: August 02, 2016, 05:16:28 pm »
The White Rabbit pond has now been paved over and there appears to have been some decorative planting done since I last came here.         &shake&

Shame they haven't moved the Town Trail sign to the new location for the White Rabbit statue...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #712 on: August 07, 2016, 05:50:06 pm »
It has been blustery  here all day but the forecast from 10.00 pm tonight is for the wind speeds to increase and be in excess of 40 mph.
I dread to think what the West Shore area will look like tomorrow morning  but on the other hand  it does keep people in regular employment. 

Offline SteveH

« Reply #713 on: August 07, 2016, 06:50:45 pm »
"it does keep people in regular employment." ?

I thought that was the problem, Hugo, nobody clearing the sand.     :(    a bit like your comment the other day "The White Rabbit pond has now been paved over and there appears to have been some decorative planting done"  that made me chuckle.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #714 on: August 07, 2016, 11:06:14 pm »

I thought that was the problem, Hugo, nobody clearing the sand.     :(    a bit like your comment the other day "The White Rabbit pond has now been paved over and there appears to have been some decorative planting done"  that made me chuckle.

And there lies the problem Steve.   The sand is coming over the wall quicker than they are clearing it.
The experts are clearing the sand from around the lake and just depositing it over the wall and this in their expert opinion is actually solving the problem.
I would appreciate your help in conducting a scientific experiment on this, as in my humble opinion I believe that their theory has some flaws in it.
Now here's how you can help, but only under the cover of darkness I may add.    If you stand on the sea wall facing Anglesey and the prevailing wind, have a pee and tell me the results of your experiment.         ;D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #715 on: August 08, 2016, 07:23:30 am »
Sand and wind, eh? Perhaps CCBC should send a study group out to Saudi Arabia and the Emirates for a couple of weeks to see how they deal with it.  $good$
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #716 on: August 08, 2016, 10:57:38 am »
Hugo can you remember the sand being a problem before they messed about ,,,1 taking the sand dunes away to put that stupid cycle Path there ,2 them two Boulder groynes in the middle and cover all the steps up ,as I can always remember the sand been wet on that beach ,not the fine sand there now .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #717 on: August 08, 2016, 05:07:56 pm »
There was no problem with sand on the West Shore  or flooding for that matter in the area from the Toll House to the car park  from when the sea defence was built in the early 1950's until the early 1990's when the idiots that be created the ecological disaster that we now see.
In fact I had a letter from CCBC  that admitted  that there was a lack of sand by the sea defence that made them engage "expert" consultants to come up with a new sea defence.
You are spot on with your description of the sand there, it was hard and wet, whereas the sand by the Black rocks was dry and soft

Offline Hugo

« Reply #718 on: August 10, 2016, 08:05:08 am »
It was a nice sunny day on the West Shore yesterday and it was good to see the visitors enjoying themselves.  I was admiring the scenery when I remembered that there was a notice board for visitors near the boating lake but couldn't see it at first until I saw something protruding from this raised flower bed.
I went around to the other side and lo and behold the notice board was there.   All it needs now is another sign saying "beware of Thistles"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #719 on: August 10, 2016, 06:17:10 pm »
Steve,  I forgot to mention that there was an element of risk in that scientific experiment I was talking about and it has been known to backfire on some participating people, often with disastrous results.
I assume that you haven't gone ahead with the test, but at least it has proved a couple of things:-
a)    You are an intelligent person
b)    You are definitely not a CCBC  Councillor