Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360258 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2010, 04:56:57 pm »
Yorkie, did you live in Gloddaeth Avenue before or after they did the new sea defence?        As for regular sand clearance, ok I take your point but where would you put the sand once you have collected it?
Please don't say back on the West Shore because it would be just like peeing into the wind and you wouldn't do that, would you?

Yorkie

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2010, 05:07:50 pm »
Hugo, I don't think it makes any great difference when I lived there, sand is sand, and was prevalent in our property since we moved there.  I well remember the big lorries carrying the rocks to West Shore and the furory of the locals about the amount of heavy traffic.  In fact did one rock not fall off a lorry and kill someone?   My memory is not as sharp as it once was.    )*)&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
Yorkie, the only reason I asked about when you lived there was because I was born in Llandudno and can remember back to the mid 50's when there wasn't a problem there.
The real problems started when they acted on the Consultants recommendation and they artificially increased the height of the sand on the beach.
I can't remember by exactly how much they increased the height, I think about 11 feet but can't be certain.
This created a problem immediately because the Westerly wind would blow the natural sand along the shore and it would then take off on this artifial ramp that had been created.
I do remember in the 1970's a problem with the sand. but this was in the Trinity Avenue area and this again was man made as work of some type had been done on the North Wales Golf Club when they dug up a large stretch of grass and exposed the sand below it.
With regard to the large rocks you are quite correct as one did fall off a lorry and tragically killed someone.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:07 pm »
He was a taxi driver I seem to recall but his name escapes me. Was it Tommy someone?

Offline Paddy

« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
He was called Tommy Ashe.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 03:24:42 pm »
Fester demonstrating that you can walk on water at the Alice Statue:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2011, 03:32:11 pm »
Parked my car by the Sunnymede Hotel on the West Shore and saw that the demolition of the hotel was well under way.  I wonder when they are hoping to start building the  3-storey development comprising 3 x one bedroom, 6 x two bedrooms and 2 x three bedrooms, self contained apartments.
The site at the old Penmorfa doesn't look like any work will be starting there soon so I hope the Sunnymede isn't going to be the same.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2011, 04:51:50 pm »
The Sunnymede Hotel has nearly been demolished and last nights gales have made the sand problem even worse.   The section of the road that joins with Abbey Road was covered in sand and I feel sorry for the residents living nearby,

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2011, 08:47:12 pm »
Good work with the photos, Hugo. Let's remind ourselves how it once looked:

Yorkie

« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2011, 04:23:00 pm »
Just happened to visit West Shore Car Park and couldn't help but notice the disgusting state of the Pay and Display Machine.    The plinth is so rusted that an electric cable supplying the works can be clearly seen through the hole on the back view.   Considering that the plinth actually holds the cash box, it would not be too difficult for someone to help themselves by merely removing some of the rusty metal.

What a contrast to the nice new bright shiny machines that have just appeared on some of the streets of the town!

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2011, 06:02:34 pm »
we had a look today, there is still sand everywhere and if you look at the back of the blue post, it's been sand blasted!

DSCF1339 by AJones56, on Flickr
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2011, 06:04:18 pm »
The whole area is just a disaster, time to move the White Rabbit statue, I think.

Yorkie

« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2011, 06:17:52 pm »
The whole area is just a disaster, time to move the White Rabbit statue, I think.

And send it back down the hole it crawled out of!      Z@@

Offline Trojan

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 12:51:45 am »
Is that sand on the roof of the Georgian House I can see?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2011, 10:27:38 am »
 :(Has any one from the forum been to a friends of the West Shore meeting, and if so what excactly are they proposing to do.We know that the Conservatives are behind this so you would think Janet Finch-Saunders would be pushing here two troops for results like her Craig y Don park. I walked along the West Shore end of the cycle path last weekend and could;nt find it,the whole length of it was covered and by the Black rocks there where hills of sand you had to get over,brilliant idea to build that path in such an exposed spot.Still not sure why they cannot have our delightfull residents who need to do community service clearing once a week. *&(