Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370310 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #660 on: January 24, 2016, 11:51:25 am »
Remember them putting the Water Board building up, it does not seem that long ago or is it me getting old.
Was there a lot of objections at the time from local residents losing the view towards Snowdonia.
If the Water Board are not using it anymore , who is ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #661 on: January 24, 2016, 06:29:59 pm »
There is a Council meeting on March 17th 2016, Topic :- To consider a report in relation to a request to clear sand at West Shore public area. It can be viewed live on The Conwy Council Webcast if anyone is interested.

Meleri,  I've had a look but can't find the request,   are you able to produce it on here?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #662 on: January 26, 2016, 03:18:38 pm »
The West Shore took the full force of the gale today, I could see the spray coming over the sea wall as I drove down Gloddaeth Avenue and the inevitable sand was flying over the wall too.
I could just about stand when I took some photos so it's no wonder the pics were shaky.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #663 on: February 02, 2016, 02:03:36 pm »
It was pretty wild on the West Shore today and the sand is still coming over

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #664 on: February 02, 2016, 04:05:32 pm »
Sorry I haven't got back sooner Hugo. That particular meetings has now been cancelled and is now 17th March. It will be under Communities Overview & Scrutiny Committee. Also there is a meeting titled :- Llandudno Vacant Pier Pavilion Site Update on 21st April that sounds interesting. I'm not very computer savy so don't know how to put on links.
If you Google Conwy Council Webcast, then click on webcast portal it will take you to where you can view the live Webcasts. Also there is an archive of Webcasts going back 6 months. They usually put all the info on times etc a few days before, under future webcasts. If you miss it live then you will be able to view it a few hours later when they put it back on. They really are an eye opener.  :o

Offline Hugo

« Reply #665 on: February 02, 2016, 08:44:35 pm »
Thanks very much Meleri,  I'll follow that up as soon as I can.     West Shore does have a problem with the sand as you can see from my photos today, but unless the CCBC addresses the cause and admits that errors have been made then the sand clearance will be ongoing and getting worse.
I've recently sent CCBC a request under the Freedom of Information Act concerning something on the West Shore and am looking forward to their reply.  It could be interesting.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #666 on: February 03, 2016, 08:53:27 am »
Also there is a meeting titled :- Llandudno Vacant Pier Pavilion Site Update on 21st April that sounds interesting.
I imagine it will be a very short meeting. Rob Dix will stand up, say "We haven't done anything to sort the Pier Pavilion site out, but be fair, we've only had 22 years". Everyone will nod, the Chairman will say "OK, put it back on the Agenda in 2020" and the meeting will conclude.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #667 on: February 03, 2016, 10:45:57 am »
Hugo you may know or someone else on here may,before the idiots messed about with the Sandhills to create that cycle path and built them two rock groynes did the sand blow all over the place ,as I don't recall it happening .why do they require a meeting to move the sand , I walk the dog there when they move the sand to have a good laugh at our council tax getting wasted Again .

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #668 on: February 03, 2016, 04:29:20 pm »
Hugo you may know or someone else on here may,before the idiots messed about with the Sandhills to create that cycle path and built them two rock groynes did the sand blow all over the place ,as I don't recall it happening .why do they require a meeting to move the sand , I walk the dog there when they move the sand to have a good laugh at our council tax getting wasted Again .
     After I spoke to you this afternoon Norman, I took a bus to Deganwy and walked back home along the West Shore Cycle Path route. As you can see from the pics below cycling is definitely not an option at the moment, even walking on the path after the groyne at Black Rocks was an effort, and most of the walkers were on the beach.           
     Incidentally, if anyone has lost a fibreglass boat it is high and dry on the path between Deganwy prom and Black Rocks, I don't know how long it's been there. About the council meeting to move the sand, I think I remember reading somewhere that the law states that the area between the high and low water marks belongs to the Queen, and special permission has to be applied for to work there, and I presume that the council will want to put the sand back to where it came from (so it can return after the next big westerly gale!) 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #669 on: February 03, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »
Gwynant, those photos are just incredible and show just how stupid the CCBC was to build a cycle path there in the first place and even more stupid to keep trying to keep the path free from sand.
When they have cleared the sand the idiots have placed the sand in a position where it just blows back across the path,    They have done the same thing near the boating lake with disastrous consequences to that area of the town

Offline Hugo

« Reply #670 on: February 03, 2016, 07:23:20 pm »

Norman, to answer your question briefly the answer is no.    The Sea defence with all those steps was built in the early 1950's and no sand blew over the wall as far as I remember, in actual fact it was the lack of sand that inspired those "experts"to build the Sea Defence in the 1990's that has caused catastrophic problems on the West Shore.
Where the cafe and car park is now was the start of the sand dunes but on a much smaller scale than those that Gwynant has photographed.
Sand did blow onto the dunes in that spot but that is nature for you but I do remember the time in the 1980's I think, when the North Wales Golf Club did some work on the course and removed the grass, thus exposing the sand underneath.   Because the NWGC had exposed the sand, the prevailing westerly wind blew the sand down Trinity Avenue.  I had a friend who lived in the Avenue and she had to park her car facing the town so as avoid sand blowing into the engine.
When man interferes with nature it can have disastrous results like what has happened in the USA and Russia but if you get a combination of CCBC planners and their expert consultants then you know that it's just a disaster waiting to happen.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2016, 08:43:27 am »
Gwynant's photos illustrate perfectly how it is a complete waste of money to try clearing the sand from that location. The last time CCBC cleared it all was just before Christmas and it lasted less than 2 weeks before it was al covered again.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #672 on: February 04, 2016, 08:59:43 am »
Of cause if man had not interfered with nature and built Llandudno  the sand would  blow straight  through  to north shore two problems  solved   

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #673 on: February 04, 2016, 09:25:01 am »
Gwynant's photos illustrate perfectly how it is a complete waste of money to try clearing the sand from that location. The last time CCBC cleared it all was just before Christmas and it lasted less than 2 weeks before it was al covered again.

Get those doing community service on the job, the ideal completely pointless task for them to do!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Hugo

« Reply #674 on: February 04, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »
Of cause if man had not interfered with nature and built Llandudno  the sand would  blow straight  through  to north shore two problems  solved

If the sand was to blow through to the North Shore don't you think that it would have done so in the last few thousand years prior to the building of the town?
The problems on the West Shore didn't start when they built the first sea defence in the 1950's but only when the idiots allowed the sea defence of 1993 to be built.
That's just my  opinion.