Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370039 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #645 on: November 01, 2015, 06:36:55 pm »
Really beautiful colours the sun went down over the mountains on Sat evening.

A shame my crappy iphone camera didn't do it justice.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #646 on: December 21, 2015, 11:30:08 am »
I don't know if many members have walked along the cycle path from West Shore to Deganwy lately, but it's a sight to behold. The recent gales have completely obliterated the cycle path, it must be covered with thousands of tons of sand. All that work only a few weeks ago to clear it has been completely wasted. When will CCBC stop wasting money in an unwinnable battle with nature?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: December 21, 2015, 11:32:02 am »
You mean holding council meetings?   WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #648 on: December 22, 2015, 11:10:10 am »
I don't know if many members have walked along the cycle path from West Shore to Deganwy lately, but it's a sight to behold. The recent gales have completely obliterated the cycle path, it must be covered with thousands of tons of sand. All that work only a few weeks ago to clear it has been completely wasted. When will CCBC stop wasting money in an unwinnable battle with nature?

Last night was horrendous with the wind and rain and the cycle track would only have got worse as a result.   I haven't been there recently but did go past the boating lake a few weeks ago and the sand had built up there, but until the Winter storms have finished the sand will still keep coming over.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #649 on: December 22, 2015, 05:17:55 pm »
cycle path should go along the top as far as black rocks

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #650 on: December 23, 2015, 10:07:00 am »
cycle path should go along the top as far as black rocks
Yes, it's the only realistic long term solution.  $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #651 on: December 23, 2015, 10:12:23 am »
Here's a thought: wonder if some enterprising company could route the cycle path directly from West Shore to Conwy Marina...  It would, of course, require a barrage to be constructed, but they could make money from installing several tidal turbines in the barrage. The only other issue would be installing lock gates to ensure boat passage.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #652 on: January 20, 2016, 03:13:58 pm »
It was such a beautiful Winter's day today so I thought that I'd have a walk along the cycle track at the West Shore and see what it was like since DaveR went there.    It's a nice walk and quite enjoyable doing it on a day like today.  I just walked from the car park to the Black rocks and back and I would imagine that locals and visitors alike will be enjoying that stretch of beach during the Summer months.
As a cycle track it's not fit for purpose and as you can see from the photos the idiots have stacked the soft sand on the western side of the track!      One more Winter storm and it'll all come back.    I only saw three people with bikes using it and obviously they could only walk on the sand and push their bikes along.
The tide was very low so I took a photo of the wreck of the Flying Foam.   I took another of the wreck of the old Water Board building but it was good to see that it is being used now.    That "sculpture" in the foreground of the photo should be added to the Eyesore list, what a waste of money.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #653 on: January 20, 2016, 03:22:40 pm »
Is that miniature train track anywhere near finished yet? The London Underground was built quicker.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #654 on: January 20, 2016, 03:27:03 pm »
Sorry BTR but I didn't notice it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #655 on: January 20, 2016, 03:58:47 pm »
I think there was an official opening last Summer.

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #656 on: January 20, 2016, 04:28:04 pm »
                 I see some of the volunteers working on the site of the model railway at weekends occasionally when the weather is suitable. They seemed to be constructing a loop off the main circuit and there are quite a lot of building materials on site waiting to be utilised.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #657 on: January 20, 2016, 05:40:30 pm »
Friday, 26 June, 2015

Guto Bebb was pleased to be invited to the official opening of the West Shore Miniature Railway will take place on Saturday, 27th June 2015.  He will be joined by the Mayor of Llandudno, Cllr Frank Bradfield, who will name a locomotive which has been purchased with the help of a grant from the Town Council, and Cllr Brian Cossey, Vice Chair of Conwy County Borough Council, who will officially open the railway. An inaugural train will then take the invited guests on a trip around the track.  Train rides for visitors will then take place until the close of the event at 17:00. Also following the official opening there will be an opportunity for visitors to view a small exhibition of the Society member's models.  The Railway will be open as usual, prior to the official proceedings, from midday to 13:30 for visitors to have a ride around the track.

The new railway was constructed after the North Wales Model Engineering Society relocated from their previous base in the grounds of Ysgol Gogarth several years ago. The Society was formed over 50 years ago as a result of 3 people meeting in a café in Llandudno. It has grown slowly to its present size with a membership in the region of 60 members.  It aims to foster an interest in engineering through the construction of model engines of all kinds. Many members have had no previous training in engineering but with the help of other members have been able to gain such skills as necessary to produce working models.

Guto commented, “I am delighted to hear that this project is now well and truly off the ground.  It is great to see a volunteer organisation getting together and creating a miniature tourist attraction on Llandudno’s West Shore that we can all be proud of.”

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #658 on: January 23, 2016, 03:35:06 pm »
There is a Council meeting on March 17th 2016, Topic :- To consider a report in relation to a request to clear sand at West Shore public area. It can be viewed live on The Conwy Council Webcast if anyone is interested.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #659 on: January 23, 2016, 04:48:04 pm »
Thanks Meleri,  I'll have a look at that.    Easter is on the 27th  March this year but hopefully any resolution can be passed and acted upon by the early May Bank Holiday