Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 372478 times)

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #570 on: February 16, 2015, 12:37:50 pm »
I don't intend apologising for having an opinion, I live in the UK, not North Korea.

The fact that some people think it's ok, to tell me what I should think, and moan when I have the audacity to reply, amazes me.

And Yorkie, if you are bored by any topic under discussion, then don't read it....nobody is forcing you. $thanx$

This, after all, a forum where people discuss things, or have I misread the situation?

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #571 on: February 16, 2015, 12:38:52 pm »
Well it's done now
Lets just draw a line in the sand.....

Would that be the sand on the Beach, cycle Path or the surrounding Roads?   🎉🎊🎋🎅🎄

Whoever thought a cycle path along West Shore would be a good idea, needs shooting!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #572 on: February 16, 2015, 12:41:50 pm »
Well it's done now
Lets just draw a line in the sand..... :twoface:

Naughty boy BTR       ;D     

$smack$

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #573 on: February 16, 2015, 12:42:31 pm »
That has bored the pants off every other Member of the Forum!   🙉 🙈 🙊  👻 😂

In fact there's nothing like a disagreement to engender interest among members. Figures for this topic have positively soared in the last day or so :-)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 07:07:20 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #574 on: February 16, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »
Ah!  So my comment was indeed worthy of being read?   Thank you Mellons!  🎃🎃🎃🎃
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #575 on: February 16, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
I agree with you Ian, I also don't bother reading a thread if it bores me, therefore don't moan abouts threads that don't intrest me.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #576 on: February 16, 2015, 01:20:05 pm »
That has bored the pants off every other Member of the Forum!   🙉 🙈 🙊  👻 😂

In fact there's nothing like a disagreement to engender interest among members. Figures for this topic has positively soared in the last day or so :-)

Agree with Ian it's been an interesting debate, I haven't joined in because I have no opinion one way or the other. My only issues with West shore are that the lawn near the boating lake should be kept neat and proper and be available to use by anyone all year round to play lawn games (which it is in the winter, until it gets sunny then the putting green pops up to fleece tourists) and the toilets should be FREE or the very least free for locals who pay council tax.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #577 on: February 16, 2015, 11:22:30 pm »
I just want someone to open Sundowner's Bar at West Shore,  I can see it now....  a money spinner and a great place for a beer.
 ZXZ
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #578 on: February 17, 2015, 07:06:01 am »
We have had no flooding so the boulders have worked but at the expense of more sand and a massive expense every year clearing the stuff.Im sure the houses opposite the boating pool now have tentimes the amount of sand in their attics than before the boulders but that might be a small price to pay as no floods occur.The cycle path was never going to work which is such a shame as it was the buisiest walk on a niceday,a complete flat walk to Conwy.

Offline mull

« Reply #579 on: February 17, 2015, 10:34:42 am »
Been away for the weekend and have returned to find this topic has taken off. Must be over 4 pages in a few days. is this a record ?

It has always been possible to walk West Shore to Deganwy without the help of a cycle track.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #580 on: February 17, 2015, 11:18:05 am »
We never had flooding before the breakwaters were installed so there is no conclusive proof that they have actually prevented any flooding since.    However,  I was on the West Shore last year during the storms and the breakwater by the Toll House was taking a severe pounding from the waves and so therefore saved the shore from such a pounding.     
Breakwaters, also called bulkheads, reduce the intensity of wave action in inshore waters and thereby reduce coastal erosion or provide safe harbourage. Breakwaters may also be small structures designed to protect a gently sloping beach and placed one to three hundred feet offshore in relatively shallow water.
What has happened at Llandudno is that the breakwater has been linked to the shore, the beach artificially increased in height and this is what has caused  the problems on the West Shore.
Now Wrex,  I believe that you were a former Councillor and I know that you have a wealth of local knowledge and care for the town and would appreciate your comments on my question.
Knowing the prevailing conditions in the town why has the CCBC chosen to use sand as a sea defence on the West Shore yet has chosen to use rocks or cobbles on the North Shore?
We are both sensible and mature adults but I haven't been able to comprehend the logic in their actions,  perhaps you can enlighten me.
I'm asking you because I know that you'll give me an intelligent reply even if you haven't got the answer.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #581 on: February 17, 2015, 01:06:13 pm »
Hugo, I think you will find that the choice of materials and method depends on the intensity of the weather on each particular shore.   The worse the weather the more rugged protection.  I will leave Wrex to give the more technical answers.  ⛅️⚡️🌊
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Hugo

« Reply #582 on: February 17, 2015, 01:21:04 pm »
Thanks Yorkie, that all makes sense if it applied, we'll see what Wrex has to say about the matter,   
This is a plan of the defence and the materials used

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #583 on: February 17, 2015, 01:37:18 pm »
Awaiting the guru that is Wrex.......I guess Hugo wants to know what colour paint would be best for stopping sand ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #584 on: February 17, 2015, 02:03:01 pm »
Wrex is a very great man....
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -