Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370475 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #510 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:46 pm »
alright for some lol

I can't work if the Pier won't open mate!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Mr Tunnock

« Reply #511 on: February 04, 2015, 04:40:02 pm »
Hope it get sorted soon for you Fester.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #512 on: February 04, 2015, 05:56:28 pm »
Hope it get sorted soon for you Fester.

Not too bothered about me Mr Tunnock, (you devilishly sticky, tasty little wafer you!), too cold and boring for me to be working, but some people NEED to work, in order to pay their rent which is still required.
But also, lots of disappointed visitors over the weekend, who may not return!
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #513 on: February 05, 2015, 08:53:49 am »
Isn't there any way that "Elf and Safety" can clamp down on the Grand and make them do something before people start suing for loss of earnings?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #514 on: February 08, 2015, 08:20:33 pm »
Hi Nemesis,  No... H&E were contacted, but they have nothing to enforce, unless any current work was happening on site.

It now falls to CCBC Building Control dept to compile a report.
Fester...

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #515 on: February 09, 2015, 08:50:33 am »
The pier actually looked to be open at 10.00am yesterday when we walked past the end near the wishing well  with the dog.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #516 on: February 09, 2015, 11:17:34 pm »
The pier actually looked to be open at 10.00am yesterday when we walked past the end near the wishing well  with the dog.

It is, courtesy of a vast amount of fencing, which has sealed off the 'debris field' around The Grand.
Fester...

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #517 on: February 11, 2015, 06:48:00 pm »
Anyway back to West Shore !!!! work begins soon on beach replenishment

Offline Hugo

« Reply #518 on: February 11, 2015, 06:57:01 pm »
What damage can we expect next then?   I was on the West Shore today and the sand problem is worse than ever and afterwards drove down Abbey Road where there is also sand piling up.        :rage:

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #519 on: February 11, 2015, 09:50:37 pm »
I do find it rather odd when people complain about sand.

When I moved to West Shore, by the beach, with a prevailing SW breeze, I assumed, and expected, sand to be blown about a bit.
I wasn't wrong.

What do people expect?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #520 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:26 pm »
Majormelons before the idiots put them two rock things there we didn,t have a sand problem ,the Sandhills where under the golf course not in the middle of the beach ,they were told but as usual took no notice .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #521 on: February 12, 2015, 08:56:33 am »
What damage can we expect next then?   I was on the West Shore today and the sand problem is worse than ever and afterwards drove down Abbey Road where there is also sand piling up.        :rage:

There seems to be more this year on the streets away from  the beach and sea front.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #522 on: February 12, 2015, 12:42:32 pm »
I do find it rather odd when people complain about sand.

When I moved to West Shore, by the beach, with a prevailing SW breeze, I assumed, and expected, sand to be blown about a bit.
I wasn't wrong.

What do people expect?

I presume from your lack of knowledge of the area that you are not from Llandudno.   The sea defence at Wesr Shore  was completed in 1952 and to the best of my knowledge and belief the sea never came over the 2885 foot long defence and neither did the sand.   The sea defence built in the 1980's was build because " it was being undermined"  in other words too little sand to protect the steps.
The Council in their wisdom decided to increase the level of the beach by 10 foot or more and in the 1980's or thereabouts the problems started.
The problems at the West Shore are entirely man made, not by the powers of nature which you seem to suggest and was constructed as the cheapest option available and didn't take into account the conditions which should have been obvious to anyone living in the town.
Just in case you have any lingering doubt as to who is correct, here is a photo of the White Rabbit statue before the 1980's

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #523 on: February 12, 2015, 01:23:06 pm »
When I came on holiday to Llandudno in the Sixties, early Seventies the West Shore looked just like Hugo's picture, I never saw sand blown all over the place, all looked perfect!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Gwynant

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #524 on: February 12, 2015, 04:58:21 pm »
        Hugo is absolutely correct, I can remember diving off the steps into deep water (at high tide!) in the 50s on the West Shore after the new sea defences were built, and there were at least 7 or more big steps  each of which had an 18" drop from one to the other from the seawall down to the sandy beach and I also seem to remember wooden groynes as well.             
        There was no sand blown over the wall on to the greens and the surrounding areas in those days as the beach was considerably lower than the present. It is a fairly recent problem which started after the beach level was artificially elevated and entirely created by that decision, and it has visibly worsened in the last few years.