Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370471 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #420 on: June 07, 2012, 06:38:33 pm »
One can also say that about those on the Pier.

The Pier AND the Pier Arcade?

Does that mean the Pier Company qualify for £1,200 per annum?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #421 on: June 07, 2012, 07:24:28 pm »
Sounds like it!
If you think about it, the pros and cons for a small business are difficult.
I wonder where the insurance side of it would be if these itinerant toilet users walked into your home or business and a) caused damage or b) helped themselves to your property, or  worse still injured themselves whilst using your facility?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #422 on: June 07, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
Probably the same as a customer especially as they will all be classed as visitors.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
Fester and I are in the Club 147 most weeks and I have certainly never seen a sign advertising their toilets to the public.
Note there is nothing in West Shore in there.

I often see signs in puns that say "Toilets are for customers only" utterly pointless and gives the pub a unwelcoming image for no reason. For one thing if you are going to the pub and you happen to need a pee as well, you are never going to wait at the bar, order a drink, leave your drink in the open and then go to the toilet! So when someone walks into a pub the bar person knows not whether they are about to be a customer or night - and by the time they come out the deed is done!

Pointless

I can see why bars/restaurants may want to put these signs up as it's not a nice thought to be cleaning up after people who aren't even customers but on the flip side, someone may walk in use the toilet and notice it's a nice place and either get a drink then or note it for future reference - although considering the state and atmosphere of most of Llandudno's venues the effect is likely to be the opposite L0L

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #424 on: June 07, 2012, 09:30:35 pm »
Borntorun how could you say pointless,Cll Bertola went to london to see how the scheme worked on a jolly,he spent all his precious time looking at toilets in london so you must apologies to him about your pointless jibe.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #426 on: June 08, 2012, 11:10:17 am »
Yes-- that's the list I have got.
Just as an aside-- we sent an E-mail to the local council with regards to the filthy state of the toilets in Dollgellau.

Their reply?

"we are looking into it"

Rather them than me ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #427 on: June 16, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »
Shouldn't the recipients be asked to display new signs that can be seen by visitors?

Here are photos of signs currently being displayed in three establishments receiving £600 per annum.

Incidentally, the legible sign is in Tribells.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #428 on: July 05, 2012, 09:16:39 am »
The application to move the White Rabbit Statue to the middle of the Boating Lake cannot be completed as it must be determined by WG due to its Listed nature. However, Council Officer's conclusion was:

"The present position of the memorial sculpture allows relatively close access and
examination of the finer points of the sculpture. The relocation of the statue to the centre of
the lake will only allow more distant views of the sculpture. The relocation will also retain
the present steel protective cage, which introduces an unattractive, distracting and visual
dominant feature to the listed structure. The impact and setting of the Listed Building is
therefore likely to be adversely affected by its re-positioning. Alternative options to remodel
the setting and protective measures for the statue in its present position in a more sensitive
way should be considered and would enhance the presentation of the structure itself and
the locality. There would be further detrimental impact on the character of the Conservation
Area, if model boating enthusiasts are discouraged from using the existing facilities by the
positioning of the monument at the centre of the lake.  "

http://modgoveng.conwy.gov.uk/Published/C00000205/M00003344/AI00036257/$38903.doc.pdf

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #429 on: July 05, 2012, 09:31:51 am »
In other words, not in the middle of the lake? Is my interpretation correct?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #430 on: July 12, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »
I saw a photo in the NWWN today of the White Rabbit statue and two young girls. The photo was taken in 1988 and you can see quite clearly that the grass behind the statue was level with the  path.
No one can argue that the subsequent damage to the area by the drifting sand  was not caused as a direct result of those new sea defences.

Offline mull

« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2012, 09:07:08 am »
During the 1960/70s I am sure that groynes formed part of the sea defences at West Shore.
Can anyone else remember them or with old age is my memory playing tricks.
I am sure they would have helped to keep the sand were it belongs ......on  the beach.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #432 on: July 13, 2012, 10:59:53 am »
Mull, I was a teenager in the 60's and spent a lot of time in the Summers swimming on the West Shore.    We would swim at high tide by the Toll House where the water came up a few of those steps. There were groynes there but they were only wooden ones like they had on the North shore.
The excuse for building the stone groynes was not that the water came over the wall but the fact that there was too little sand on the beach!    ??? ???   Apparently the steps were getting undermined.
The stone groynes are not the problem as you can see at Rhos on Sea but the fact that they joined the stone groynes to the shore and then artificially raised the level of the beach.
Llandudno UDC opted for the cheapest option and look what has happened.      :(

Offline Hugo

« Reply #433 on: September 12, 2012, 09:55:35 pm »
They are obviously not talking about the West Shore!     

Published date: 12 September 2012 |
Published by: Tom Parry-Jones and Diane Highton

ACTION is needed to halt the decline of Llandudno's beach.

That is the view of community leaders, tourists and residents in the seaside resort as sand continues to drift away from West Shore, leaving the beach dishevelled in some areas.

Donkey rides have already become a thing of the past and a popular sand castle competition has been cancelled this year.

Llandudno town councillor John Ridler of West Shore said he wanted to see Llandudno beach returned to its former glory.

He said: “They used to clean the beach every year. The weather has ruined the sand area, it's disgraceful.

“The donkey rides can't even get onto the sand. The beach is very important to Llandudno, it's one of the town's main attractions.”

Welsh Government regulations limit the extent of the cleanup operation to employing surf rake machines to clear the stones from the far end of the beach.
 For any materials to be removed from or added to the beach, a marine licence must be granted by the Welsh Government under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009.

Mayor of Llandudno, councillor Myra Wigzell said: "It's unfortunate, but the season is nearly over now. Let's hope we can get something done before the next one starts."

The beach at English seaside resort town Morecambe had suffered from a similar situation to Llandudno in recent years, but a multi-million-pound regeneration project helped restore the Lancashire town's seafront to its former glory.

Morecambe town councillor David Kerr said of the regeneration: "It was a long project in three stages; there was a lot of mess and confusion, but in the long term it's been worth it.

“All the sand had gone and it was just mudflats; residents were not happy with how the beach looked. We now have a more attractive promenade area, with a wildlife theme built into artwork on the prom.

“It's certainly a better image - it looks totally different and locals are now using the beach again.”

A spokeswoman for Conwy County Borough Council has said the licence has been applied for and is currently being processed by the Welsh Government.

Offline Kowalski

« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2012, 11:10:54 pm »
The weather has ruined the sand area, it's disgraceful

Quick give God a ring, tell him to sort the weather out!