Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370421 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2012, 08:07:20 pm »
Hugo, lovely photos again. I particularly like the fourth one down in the first set. The one with the grasses and all the different textures in the sand. It would make a good subject for a painting!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #361 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:34 pm »
I agree with Hollins, they're lovely photos Hugo.  I particularly like the top one in the second set, with your dog (Bruno?) against that brilliant blue sky. 

I won't take my bike anywhere that "cycle path".  I'd never get through there on narrow tyres and I'd rather carry the bike than get sand in the gears!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: February 04, 2012, 06:25:08 pm »
I thought the recent scenes in West Shore were pretty bad, but the situation with sand in Rhyl is many times worse. There must be hundreds of tons of the stuff on the prom, I've never seen it so bad. All of the grass and planting in the Drift Park has been covered and killed by the sand.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #363 on: February 04, 2012, 06:37:36 pm »
I don't remember all this sand years ago, is this more of this sea defence work, or were they more efficient in clearing it years ago?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #364 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:36 pm »
Heck and we think we've got problems !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #365 on: February 05, 2012, 12:45:17 am »
The prevailing winds have been from the west,for the last 6 weeks or so, I'm surprised that Rhyl promenade has such a dramatic sand build up.  More North-Westerly I would have thought,

But nevertheless, the weather has not been very extreme, and that is a very expensive pile to shift!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #366 on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:13 am »
Had some high winds where I am but all the sand is still on the beaches - and this is the Atlantic!    Z**
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

« Reply #367 on: February 05, 2012, 10:40:39 am »
Might be all the new windmills blowing towards Rhyl.
Watch out Colwyn Bay, Rhos on sea and Llandudno.

:D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:48 am »
WATER bosses will invest £4m to stop sewage hitting a popular tourism beach and tackle toxic algae in another multi-million pound project.

West Shore beach in Llandudno lost its coveted Blue Flag status after heavy rainfall saw sewage overflows enter the sea – hitting water quality.

Now Dr Cymru Welsh Water will spend £4m to replace the storm water outfall.

But work will not start until after the summer season with the completion date set for spring 2013.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/02/06/4m-to-win-back-blue-flag-for-llandudno-beach-55578-30272353/

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2012, 10:45:31 pm »
I love CCBC activity special for the half term on the West Shore,start work on the playarea and close it down,special.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #370 on: February 16, 2012, 02:55:46 pm »
Sometimes when I walk along the West Shore I remember the times in my early teens when we swam there at high tide from the steps by the Toll House.  A gang of us from Cwm Place would go there and Trojan's Dad was often there when we went.
The water came up to about the 3rd step there as the water was deep but further along it didn't because of the changes in levels of the sea defence.   I cannot ever remember the sea coming over the wall (there is a secondary wall anyway) and there was no problem with sand in the area of the sea defence. In fact there must have been a lack of sand because I have a vague memory of undermining being mentioned.
Just out of interest I emailed the Environment and Technical Services at CCBC asking about the construction of the new Sea Defence and this is the reply I received:-

Dear Mr Hughes,
Three rock armour breakwaters were constructed in 1991 and additional beach material was imported at that time.  I attach a drawing showing the as-constructed works.

Computer modelling of existing beach movement at that time identified insufficient beach material entering this area to sustain the required levels. The breakwaters were constructed to naturally increase beach levels and additional material was imported to raise the flood defence levels and provide additional protection to the existing sea wall.

The scheme has been successful in improving flood defence levels at West Shore and the wind blown sand issue is evidence of healthy beach levels.  In recent years wind blown sand has been returned to the upper beach, however, we now have a licence in place that will allow us to deposit this sand lower down the beach below the mean high tide level.  This should decrease the mobility of the sand thereby reducing the amount of sand subsequently blown onto the promenade.

I hope this answers your query, please let me know if you need further information.

Regards

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #371 on: February 18, 2012, 12:02:09 pm »
Does anybody know what they are doing with the playarea on the West Shore,plenty going on but not sure what.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #372 on: February 18, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »
I can recall bathing at West Shore, only to find myself surrounded by faeces, toilet paper and other unmentionables, from the sewer outfall. Now that is what you could call unsatisfactory water conditions. UUUUuuuuggggg.   Z@@ >:(
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #373 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »
I can recall bathing at West Shore, only to find myself surrounded by faeces, toilet paper and other unmentionables, from the sewer outfall. Now that is what you could call unsatisfactory water conditions. UUUUuuuuggggg.   Z@@ >:(

It was really awful Quiggs just as you've described and I remember those times well, especially after what happened to a friend of mine when he was swimming by the Toll House area.       :puke2:

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #374 on: February 18, 2012, 05:21:06 pm »
I didn't know about the sewage situation at West Shore until I worked for WWA and visited the old pumping station there. One of my first jobs was to fit a cover to the storm valve and that's when it was all explained to me. It was supposed to be used with an ebb tide so it took it out further but I remember more than one occasion where we had to open it immediately owing to the storage tanks being so full, that being the lesser of two evils otherwise the sewers would have backed up on Gloddaeth Avenue with far messier results!
Valar Morghulis