Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359973 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #300 on: January 15, 2012, 01:59:32 am »
I dont know whether to laugh or cry.
When you have the next westerly gale the sand will be blown back over the wall.

A pity those responsible for this farce are not paying for it out of thier own pockets instead of loading it on to the local council tax payers.

$angry$ $angry$ $angry$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #301 on: January 15, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »
Hugo - Some nice photographs taken on what was a lovely day.  The close-up's of the sand mounds and then your "aerial" view shows just how much had blown from the beach onto the land, there must be close a hundred ton's there.  Am I being thick, but piled where it is at the top of the beach close to the wall, when the wind blows, (which it will most certainly do), will the sand not blow back onto the land?  Or, do they have a cunning plan to remove it before that happens? :Sisyphus: :Sisyphus:

If you look again at the photo taken from the Orme you will be able to make out the high water mark by the line of the Seaweed left on the beach. The CCBC are not allowed to dump the sand below the high water mark without the permission of DEFRA.  (why don't they get the permission you may ask??? ) but what I noticed this time was that they are dumping the sand on the western side of the groyne and just making things worse.  Before then  the sand mainly affected the area around the White Rabbit Statue but now it's affecting everywhere.
Also look at the next photo and see how high the sand has built up on those steps. You can see 3 steps visible but those of a certain age like myself can remember more steps.  If my memory serves me right then there are 7 steps there, but the rest are buried below the sand!      :rage:

Offline martin

« Reply #302 on: January 15, 2012, 03:44:43 pm »
Hello Hugo, good to know they are spending our money wisely.  What you say about the shrinking number of steps means that matters can only get worse, more frequent sand storms sand blasting those on the front line and continuing expense for us the tax payer continually clearing it.   Anyway, you missed bit of a funny day on the forum, a newbie causing a few ruffled feathers, now on a final warning from Dave.  Never seen the board so busy.

Offline mull

« Reply #303 on: January 15, 2012, 10:34:49 pm »
I can not understand why the residents of West Shore or Llandudno are putting up with this state of affairs.
This has been going on for several years now and is costing the council tax payers a fortune.
Is the council (town,county or whatever),(councilors or officers) too THICK to see that just dumping the sand over the wall will not cure the problem .
What is wrong with the people who are running LLandudno ?
The resort has so much going for it but needs a good shake up.........
Pier....Pavillion
          Landing berth for ships ,cruise tenders
Gardens,Flower beds.......Lack of care and attention.
Railway station.......Neglected.

Plus a lot more, I can not imagine the likes of Eastbourne or Bournemouth allowing this state of affairs going on year after year.

Come on Llandudno you have so much going for you.
 Why let a few lazy councillors bring you down to a has been resort.

$angry$ $angry$ $angry$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: January 15, 2012, 10:45:10 pm »
Well said, Mull, complacency and the old boys network work hand in hand to ensure there is no real progress with the town's problems.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #305 on: January 16, 2012, 07:45:30 am »
I think that it is as well to remember that the major finances are controlled by the County Council and the Assembly.  The Town council do not have any financial source for major projects.

It is all those so called "representatives of the people" at Bodlondeb and Cardiff who are PAID to deal with these matters who should be held to account.  Is it not about time that we had a "pleasant" revolt and marched on these people and places with pitchforks and shovels?   

It is amazing that when looking for comparisons one has to refer to English resorts, are the Welsh ones all like Llandudno?

$walesflag$
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #306 on: January 16, 2012, 08:29:21 am »
In terms of size, I don't think there in an equal to Llandudno in Wales. So, comparisons with Bournemouth are probably more accurate than say with Barmouth!

Who recalls the two photos I posted on here of the respective flower displays on the Prom in Llandudno and Eastbourne? That told the whole story as far as i was concerned about CCBC's attitude towards the town:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7.msg31097.html#msg31097

Offline martin

« Reply #307 on: January 16, 2012, 09:44:54 am »
No, the only difference I spotted was in the second photo there was a man with a big yellow hosepipe, is that the difference? $good$

Offline martin

« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
In terms of size, I don't think there in an equal to Llandudno in Wales. So, comparisons with Bournemouth are probably more accurate than say with Barmouth!

Who recalls the two photos I posted on here of the respective flower displays on the Prom in Llandudno and Eastbourne? That told the whole story as far as i was concerned about CCBC's attitude towards the town:

http://threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7.msg31097.html#msg31097
On a more serious note, the comparison is shameful, we are certainly not going to win any prizes.  It's very odd why this area has fallen so far behind other towns.  Over recent years on my travels to seaside resorts and parks, even in deprived areas, the councils seems to manage to find the money to put on decent floral displays, so something has gone badly wrong here.  It's not just for visitors either, well maintained green areas with well thought out floral displays give residents a pride in their own area, and this is something that is worth it's weight in gold for all of the knock on effect it has in reducing petty vandalism and crime.  Unfortunately, in these cash strapped times it is probably too late to call on the council to do anything about it.  The die is well and truly cast. :(

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2012, 07:50:32 pm »
It's been a beautiful day with wonderful views across West Shore and I managed to catch the sunset today - though I didn't get close enough to see the sandhills. 

Offline martin

« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2012, 07:55:54 pm »
Fantastic photo $good$

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2012, 07:57:59 pm »
Thanks, Martin.  It was a fantastic sunset, so it was hard to go wrong. 

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2012, 08:26:55 pm »
Amazing how the depth of colour can change from yours Blodyn to these in just a few minutes.

Offline martin

« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:27 pm »
Particularly like the first one, and as you say, just a few minutes difference between shots.

Offline mull

« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2012, 01:07:59 am »
Well done......Nice photos.

Still a great place..............pity about the "rulers" !!!