Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360206 times)

Offline dwsi

Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2012, 06:01:36 pm »
Gwynedd Council normally mix the sand collected from Barmouth prom with road salt to put into salt bins. Could Conwy Council be doing the same thing?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #286 on: January 09, 2012, 06:27:48 pm »
I like it $good$    sounds like a great idea!

A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #287 on: January 09, 2012, 09:58:59 pm »
sounds like a great idea!
Hence it will never happen in Conwy....

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #288 on: January 11, 2012, 04:30:14 pm »
 I had a nice walk along the West Shore this afternoon. No blowing sand, in fact some nice sunshine but the poor old rabbit is looking a bit sad.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »
It is a nice place for a stroll when the weather is good and I often take my dog for a walk there when conditions are like that.  Your photos are good Hollins and highlight the problems there are with the White Rabbit and the sand.
Last year I asked CCBC for a costing of sand clearance on the West Shore Promenade (exc road clearance) and they said it was £6K over 3 years.
This years sand clearance will probably cost that amount alone and the Winter isn't over yet.

Offline hollins

« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2012, 04:25:00 pm »
Funnily enough Hugo, there was a young man walking a dog just like yours when I was there yesterday.
Not sure if you fall into the "young man" category or not!

Offline JasonW

• Jason Weyman Blog
« Reply #291 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:41 pm »
Understand form tweet by Cllr Mike Priestley that sand will be cleared by the end of the week.
Work has had to wait for the wind to settle down before attempting the clear up.

A licence has been applied for to allow the sand to deposit the sand below the water line. This is a long term plan to tackle the issue, according to Council Press Release. The licence application is for 5 years from the Welsh Governement's Marine Consents Unit.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #292 on: January 12, 2012, 09:40:43 pm »
jason the plan should be to get it back to how it was , before the prats ruined the once lovely west shore took a walk along there today what a mess ,get the steps back as they were when i was a lot younger, its a sorry state when  you have to apologise to a visitor as i do often.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #293 on: January 12, 2012, 10:08:50 pm »
Understand form tweet by Cllr Mike Priestley that sand will be cleared by the end of the week.
Work has had to wait for the wind to settle down before attempting the clear up.

A licence has been applied for to allow the sand to deposit the sand below the water line. This is a long term plan to tackle the issue, according to Council Press Release. The licence application is for 5 years from the Welsh Governement's Marine Consents Unit.
The problem is that this 'long term plan' will mean considerable 'long term expense'. Instead of just carting sand about, why not look at reconfiguring the sea defences to stop the sand building up so much in the wrong places?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2012, 11:09:04 am »
A couple of diggers and a few men there as we have just passed by. The sand is being moved to the grassy bit opposite the old Pen Morfa Site nearer the toll house ( seaward side of the road). Two men scratching their heads looking at the lake!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »
Funnily enough Hugo, there was a young man walking a dog just like yours when I was there yesterday.
Not sure if you fall into the "young man" category or not!

I wish I did Hollins!  I've seen a couple there before that had an Old English Sheepdog, he was a younger guy and his wife has an electric wheelchair. I've spoken to them and they seem a nice couple
If however you see an OAP on the beach with an Old English Sheepdog then that is probably me as I was there today but not on Wednesday.
I saw the sand being taken away in dumpers and watched to see where the sand was deposited and true to form it was stacked in large piles just above the high water mark.   A rather futile effort and the sand will be back over the wall on the next high wind.       ¢¢##

Offline Hugo

« Reply #296 on: January 14, 2012, 03:28:00 pm »
It was a beautiful sunny Winter's day on the West Shore today and it was lovely to see so many people taking advantage of the Winter sunshine.
The contractors haven't finished their work there by the look of it, but judging by what they are doing it won't be long before there is another clean up due and the Lake and White Rabbit pond still need the sand removing.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #297 on: January 14, 2012, 04:46:44 pm »
I was looking through recent planning applications in the area and came across this so I thought that I'd post it as a matter of interest.

LIST OF CONSULTATIONS RECEIVED
FROM OTHER PLANNING AUTHORITIES
Report criteria: Received Date is between 28/11/2011 and 04/12/2011
Planning Authority: Welsh Government Received Date: 24/11/2011
Planning Authority Ref No: MCU11/64 Conwy Ref: ENQ/20291
Applicant: Conwy County Borough Council
Application Type: Marine Licence for Marine Works
Proposal: Clearance of Wind Blown Sand from Promenade at West Shore and Re-deposit onto the Adjacent Beach
Case Officer Dealing with Consultation: Ceri Thomas
Consultation Response by Date: 11/01/2012

Offline martin

« Reply #298 on: January 14, 2012, 07:21:53 pm »
Hugo - Some nice photographs taken on what was a lovely day.  The close-up's of the sand mounds and then your "aerial" view shows just how much had blown from the beach onto the land, there must be close a hundred ton's there.  Am I being thick, but piled where it is at the top of the beach close to the wall, when the wind blows, (which it will most certainly do), will the sand not blow back onto the land?  Or, do they have a cunning plan to remove it before that happens? :Sisyphus: :Sisyphus:

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #299 on: January 14, 2012, 09:20:47 pm »
perhaps they are hoping the wind will blow it in the opposite direction and get rid of it into the sea from whence it cometh