Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 368383 times)

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2011, 11:37:25 am »
Lets have a new statue, 3 times the size so it can be seen, encased in a solid block of resin to protect it  WWW
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2011, 01:25:44 pm »
I still can't see the point of putting the statue in the lake, when the lake  is drained vandals can still get to it!

And when it is not drained the yobs will be throwing rocks at it!     &shake&
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »
All very sad.
Placing a statue, fountain or both in the BOATING lake will not be the answer to years of neglect at West Shore.
The place is a disgace for THE premier resort on the North Wales coast.
I am sure Eastbourne,  Bournemouth or other south coast resorts would not have allowed part of thier town to go downhill in this way.
Come on Llandudno get your act together.
It saddens me to see things going downhill like this.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2011, 11:21:41 pm »
Two observations fro me..

Firstly, its not actually a BOATING lake is it?  In my day a boating lake was a very large expanse of water, (such as Peasholm Park in Scarborough) where you could row boats, or paddle canoes.  This is just a shallow area for model boats.

Secondly, I was at West Shore tonight, and the 'boating' lake is so badly silted up that the swans have a large beach if they want to use it.
In fact the walkway along the sea wall is so badly covered with colossal drifts of sand that the steps are all hidden, and it is nigh on impassable in parts.

Its going to cost a lot of money and time to clear all that!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:44 am »
Cllr Mike Priestley has offered to pose with a shovel on the sand, if that's any use?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2011, 06:17:51 pm »
Cllr Mike Priestley has offered to pose with a shovel on the sand, if that's any use?

It'll need more than a shovel for this lot Dave, the sand is about as high as I've ever seen it and there are the Winter Storms ahead. The sand now is even above the wall by the pavement and as for the shrubs they planted some time ago, well they are under there somewhere but they are dead now.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2011, 08:27:37 am »
Lovely pic of Marco Hugo. Most dogs seem to climb up to the top-- bit like children!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #232 on: December 21, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »
I have bought the book recently Llandudno Queen of the Welsh Resorts after reading about it on this forum. There were a couple of newspaper cuttings inside it. Here is one of them which maybe of interest.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #233 on: December 21, 2011, 06:30:24 pm »
  ;DLook behind the statue ,you can see how low theturf used to be,know of course its higher than the wall.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: December 21, 2011, 08:19:33 pm »
  ;DLook behind the statue ,you can see how low theturf used to be,know of course its higher than the wall.
To be fair, wasn't it raised when they built the underground pumping station? There are many manhole covers set into the grass around there, if the levels had risen, then they would surely be covered?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #235 on: December 22, 2011, 07:47:33 am »
Well the grass is level with the slabs around the statue so we can go by that.Of course the sand never came over there until they put all the groins and rocks there and to be fair the sea does not come over but the sand does.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #236 on: December 22, 2011, 01:07:20 pm »
Your right Fester it's not a boating lake it's a yacht pond.  It was always called that when we were kids and we used to take a model yacht down there as did many others.

Some idiot has built up the beach and covered all the steps so the sea is much higher now than it was.  If it was put back the way it was the sea would be lower and perhaps not so much sand would blow over.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #237 on: December 22, 2011, 01:15:32 pm »
Some idiot has built up the beach and covered all the steps so the sea is much higher now than it was.  If it was put back the way it was the sea would be lower and perhaps not so much sand would blow over.

I always thought th height of the sea was controlled by the tides and the phases of the moon, not the amount of sand!    :-X
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #238 on: December 23, 2011, 01:14:01 pm »
Well think about it.  If the sea is having to travel over higher land i.e. beach then naturally everything is going to be blown over the walls.  If the beach were lowered to its original height and the steps exposed it might, just might help.

Offline majormellons

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #239 on: December 23, 2011, 03:19:06 pm »
Well think about it.  If the sea is having to travel over higher land i.e. beach then naturally everything is going to be blown over the walls.  If the beach were lowered to its original height and the steps exposed it might, just might help.

Er....no.
The Sea Level would remain the same hight, no matter what was done to the beach.