Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359987 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:56 am »
I had a walk along the West Shore yesterday and they have actually cleared the sand.  Not very well I may add but you should have seen it before.   :o
Where have the tons and tons of sand been shifted to one may ask but you only have to look on the beach to get your answer. The tyre tracks of the diggers are still there and the sand has been dumped on the beach  above the high water mark.  The sand is now on an angle like a ramp and is up to the 3rd step from the top ready to be blown over on the next gale that comes along.
 :rage:

Last week I was able to copy Fester and walked along the length of the White Rabbit pond as it was just one long sandbank!   I noticed yesterday though that the sand had all been cleared from that pond.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2011, 06:18:02 pm »
Dave, you seem to have contacts in all the right places so would you know how it's possible to find out just how much it costs each year to clear away the sand from the West Shore?
I had a drive down Abbey Road today and turned left to the West Shore and the sand on the road is awful. I feel sorry for the people who live there, especially for the bungalow on the corner that is up for sale.  I don't fancy it's chances of being sold quickly.   :(

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2011, 07:42:19 pm »
That's a bit of a tricky one, Hugo, as how much of the work is carried out under the guise of normal street cleaning? I suspect they would say that no breakdown of the work carried out is kept.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2011, 05:16:13 pm »
I drove down the West Shore today (after taking my dog for a walk and getting thoroughly soaked in the process) and noticed that there is a new sandbank there.      Trouble is it's not on the beach but in the driveway of those posh flats next to the site of the Penmorfa Hotel.  ::)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2011, 06:02:02 pm »
A friend went running on there the other night, when she took her hat off she had to shake the sand out of it--so much had blown in her direction ! ;D
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:20 am »
Have you taken Frizzy for a walk on the West Shore yet Nemesis?    It's really nice on a windless day but I've had to turn back some times when it has been windy and the sand has been blowing in our faces.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2011, 11:35:17 am »
Yes Hugo, quite a few times, also on the beach on his extending lead. He loves sand, but daren't let him loose yet or I'd never catch him. Same on the Orme, he generally then comes home and does what he has to in the yard !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2011, 04:13:21 pm »
Could barely stand up at West Shore this morning. Bumped into Merddin Emrys and his good wife, so we had a chat and watched the high tide from the shelter of the Pumping Station Shelter.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2011, 04:20:43 pm »
I see no one is complaining about the breakwaters now.  :D

Offline Hugo

« Reply #99 on: February 08, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »
I see no one is complaining about the breakwaters now.  :D

The breakwaters are not the problem, it's the artificially increased height of the sand on the beach that is causing the problems.
these photos show the sand on the pavement at the West Shore and also the sand on the pavement in Great Orme's Road by the Old Tennis court that is also starting to get sand hills.
Quite a few Swans were on the boating Lake but I didn't see anyone sitting on the benches feeding them today.    ;D

Offline Trojan

« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 01:01:37 am »
I see no one is complaining about the breakwaters now.  :D
The breakwaters are not the problem, it's the artificially increased height of the sand on the beach that is causing the problems.

The excess sand has been caused by the breakwaters. There was never that amount of sand before the breakwaters were constructed. If you look around the breakwaters you will notice that sand dunes have formed.

>>>

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 01:03:21 am by Trojan »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 01:15:31 am »
I see no one is complaining about the breakwaters now.  :D

The excess sand has been caused by the breakwaters. There was never that amount of sand before the breakwaters were constructed. If you look around the breakwaters you will notice that sand dunes have formed.

>>>

STOP SHOUTING !!!!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 08:35:09 am »
The main purpose of beach barriers and breakwaters is to raise sand levels and reverse the process of beach erosion.  Seems it's working a little too well at West Shire. It's done wonders at Rhos ,however.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 11:06:21 am »
Trojan, the excess sand hasn't been created by the breakwater.  The sand levels were increased by the contractors at the time when they built the breakwaters by importing sand and artificially raising the sand level of the beach.
There were a number of complaints in the paper about the proposed sea defence predicting what would happen and that was before they started building it.
The breakwaters have caused some problems with mud etc but those problems are confined to the areas immediately around them.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2011, 12:55:07 am »
Trojan, the excess sand hasn't been created by the breakwater.  The sand levels were increased by the contractors at the time when they built the breakwaters by importing sand and artificially raising the sand level of the beach.
There were a number of complaints in the paper about the proposed sea defence predicting what would happen and that was before they started building it.
The breakwaters have caused some problems with mud etc but those problems are confined to the areas immediately around them.

Don't be silly, all the imported sand that was allegedly dumped  by the contractors when the breakwaters were built would have blown away by now.  ΒΆΒΆ##