Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360292 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1155 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:42 pm »
West Shore car park reopened, about a dozen cars there, and quite a few people about, but seems orderly.

Web Cam http://www.westshorebeachcafe.com/webcam-in-llandudno/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1156 on: June 26, 2020, 05:26:24 pm »
I had a quick visit to the west.  shore  today  and noticed a machine clearing a way through the Scrubland onto the beach.
I spoke to Marcus from the RNLI  and they were clearing the way in order that the inshore lifeboat could gain easy access on to the beach  We are both locals and have never seen the area in such a mess and could not understand why the sea defence had been constructed in the way it has been done

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1157 on: June 26, 2020, 11:18:41 pm »
You wouldn't think it was possible for a Local Authority in this day and age, to completely destroy both beaches of North Wales Premier Holiday Resort, unless of course there was an ulterior motive that we poor plebs haven't been made aware of. Surely its not just down to complete incompetence and miss management on their part? After all this is the same Local Authority that came up with the Coastal Forum to collaborate with interested local bodies to solve the beach problems, after the mass protests due to their destruction of the North Shore. And what a great talking shop that has turned out to be. Still waiting for them to come up with a solution.

Once Llandudno lost its independence and our decisions were made for us by Conwy County Borough Council an organisation that in my humble opinion is completely unfit for purpose, our fate was sealed. Parking removed, Public Toilets closed, Beaches destroyed, Pavements unfit to walk on, Councilors who could no longer protect us because they are constantly out voted by other groups from the back end of beyond, who haven't got a clue about our towns unique heritage.

They are quick enough to spend our taxes and talk the talk, but I wonder if they will ever be able to walk the walk as well. Thank you all, rant over
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1158 on: June 27, 2020, 03:05:59 pm »
You are spot on Blongb and I agree with all you have said.     I just hope that the CCBC prove me wrong but I do not think that they will address the sand problem and admit the mistakes of the past
The worst scenario would be that they raise the wall height by a few inches.    That will achieve nothing as the sand will still come over the wall  and to the best of my knowledge sea water has never come over the wall since the original sea defence was built in the 1950,s

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #1159 on: June 27, 2020, 03:50:14 pm »
Hugo & Blong you are both correct and I suspect we spend more time complaining about the mismanagement on this topic than any thing else , but as I have stated before on this forum nothing is going to change until the whole system changes .
Firstly until people are held accountable for their actions Councillors & Senior Management will carry on regardless , this authority is  capable of destroying anything  ,who in there right minds would grant planning permission to a supermarket to build a new store next to a sewerage pumping station that at the best of times appears to have major problems , the list of problems within the County are many and varied but they will not be solved under the present system .

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1160 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:42 pm »
Having driven along West Shore this morning the sand near the boating pool is over the wall into the road and is built up against said wall. To say the local councillor, soon to be mayor and his mother live facing all this I am surprised that it is so bad.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1161 on: June 28, 2020, 01:59:50 pm »
Having driven along West Shore this morning the sand near the boating pool is over the wall into the road and is built up against said wall. To say the local councillor, soon to be mayor and his mother live facing all this I am surprised that it is so bad.

It is unbelievable that they live in the house and dare not open the windows of that property because of the windblown sand and yet do nothing about it
Perhaps the job title and the expenses compensate for being in another form of lockdown         &shake&

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1162 on: June 28, 2020, 02:29:23 pm »
Hi Hugo I've been down there this morning soaked and sandblasted by the pond, I was supprised Young Savilles mother didn't have them out fearing the sand 😂😂 until they listen and fix the problem we will always have this problem and they will carry on wasting Our money clearing the sand, Saville and his mate only come along if their is a camera. 😡

Offline Dave

« Reply #1163 on: June 28, 2020, 03:33:39 pm »
Is it possible to fix the problem of sand on West Shore? I can't see how when, if it's blowing from the right direction and the tide is out, more and more sand is going to pile up so even if you built a 10 foot high wall it would eventually reach the top. I imagine if left to Mother Nature Llandudno would be all sand dunes, a bit like Aberffraw.
Meanwhile I see the asking prices for the recently built town houses on the front are way beyond the typical property prices around this area. I guess anyone wealthy enough to be buying one as a holiday home might get a surprise when they arrive back after a period of absence to find the sand piled up several feet against the front door!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1164 on: June 28, 2020, 04:11:46 pm »
It is possible to fix the problems of the West Shore Dave and the answer is simple.     Just remove everything from the beach that was not there in 1993

It will need wooden groynes to replace the stone groynes  and perhaps a rock groyne that is not attached to the land to reduce the power of the incoming tide

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1165 on: June 28, 2020, 08:42:10 pm »
Dave as Hugo says put right what mess they did after 93, if you look the problem with the sand is where they messed about, that Boulder groyne by the sewerage station and the other groyne, fancy putting a big sand dune in the middle, and also it was stupid disturbing the dunes under the golf course. But like a lot of things with our council they won't listen.

Offline BrianP

« Reply #1166 on: June 29, 2020, 04:44:47 pm »
You will need a bigger shovel!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1167 on: June 30, 2020, 02:29:32 pm »
Nice photo Brian,  I remember that there was a concrete WW 2 lookout post in that area just above the beach

Offline Dave

« Reply #1168 on: June 30, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
Nice photo but surely pre 1993 and even more sand than there is today?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1169 on: June 30, 2020, 09:39:09 pm »
Dave  have you any idea exactly where that photo was taken in relation to the present day West Shore