Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360556 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1095 on: March 08, 2020, 09:53:50 am »
Mother Nature is a very powerful force and seems particularly angry at present and can do a lot of damage as I saw on Thursday when I walked along the West Shore Coastline

She doesn't need any extra help from a small group of Councillors to create an environmental disaster as they did in 1993

I've attached 4 photos and I don't need to comment on them but if anyone wants to defend the indefensible then it would be interesting to hear their point of view

I saw this old photo of the West Shore Toll House and remember the times when I walked under the Pedestrian Toll House on the left of the photo.     It was demolished many years ago in the name of progress to make it easier for vehicles to pass between the two buildings

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1096 on: March 08, 2020, 10:19:51 am »
Hugo I will be going for my daily walk along there in a minute, to us locals what they have done is a disgrace 😡 Their is more sand on the grass / road than on the beach, can't they admit they made a mistake and rectify it the money this costs each year to clean up is money Conwy haven't got,this clear up is going to cost thousands, the 2 councilors for that ward are clueless, did you notice the barriers round the toilets ( no sign of any work ) so why didn't they leave the toilet that works open ( the bus drivers can't use the toilet on their break ) 😡

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1097 on: March 08, 2020, 11:14:03 am »
The trouble is Norman that we were born and bred in Llandudno and old enough to know what the area was like before the Councillors approved the 1993 Sea Defence that every local person knew beforehand was going to be a disaster.

My fear now is that the Sea Defence that has been under discussion for years will still be the same old stuff.      They may move the quarry waste off the North Shore and even replace it with sand but the West Shore should be treated the same and remove everything that wasn't there prior to 1993

What may happen to the West Shore is that they increase the height of the curved sea wall by a foot or less, but that won't solve the problem of the sand or of rising sea levels.

I really hope that I am proved wrong and that these experts and Councillors are right for once

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1098 on: March 08, 2020, 12:01:09 pm »
When you walk on the West Shore the damage that man has created for that area is obvious but when you walk below the Marine Drive you can see the damage that nature has created.
The first thing you see is the collapse of the road just below that nice building of St Petrocks then around the corner in the Marine Drive  you can see various types of sea defences and they look mainly substantial.    It's when you come to the cliffs below Llys Helig Drive that you start to see the signs of erosion. Some of the properties have sea defences but others do not and it shows.
One property in particular seems to have spent a lot of time and effort on the sea defence and when I went past two men were busy trying to stabilise the cliff face.
Have a look at the wire baskets at the bottom of the photo and you can see that they have served their purpose but appear to be buckling under the weight of the cliff face
The problem is that the erosion is not entirely due to sea levels, the problem is coming from the Orme itself.     Free flowing water brings out the soil with it and when the cliff dries with that westerly wind, the soil cracks and falls down the cliff

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1099 on: March 08, 2020, 12:13:27 pm »
Spot on Hugo......"The problem is that the erosion is not entirely due to sea levels, the problem is coming from the Orme itself.     Free flowing water brings out the soil with it and when the cliff dries with that westerly wind, the soil cracks and falls down the cliff"
I dd not realise that the subsidence was so close to St Petrocks, nasty,  your photos definitely show the problem needs addressing, sooner than later, perhaps a good use for the toll fee's ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1100 on: March 08, 2020, 01:06:39 pm »
I have always admired St Petrocks as it is a lovely building and has some stunning views from the front elevation.     Next time you go past it Steve have a look at the high wall in front of the house and see if you notice the bow in the wall.
About 50 years ago my father who was a builder pointed it out to me and said that at some stage the wall will blow, meaning that it will collapse and the building may go with it
I hope that I'm not the Prophet of Doom and that it stays intact for many many years

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1101 on: March 08, 2020, 02:49:09 pm »
Thanks for the photos, Hugo.  I think some of the frontagers further along have provided their own sea defences.  Beyond the end of Llys Helyg Drive, the furthest set of old Coast Artillery searchlight buildings are gradually sliding onto the beach (the steps partly disappeared some years ago).

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1102 on: March 08, 2020, 02:59:20 pm »
Somewhere further up in the middle of the slope, possibly where the remains of the concrete steps are we did notice a classic sign of what will be a large land slide, hope that it doesn't happen when I'm there

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1103 on: March 08, 2020, 04:33:33 pm »
Hugo, I have just found a pdf relating to the Orme, underneath the section on goats, is coastal erosion and landslips: you might find the whole file of interest, there are many maps and much information.

4.4 Feature 4: Geological Conservation Review Sites and Regionally Important
Geological Site
Objective 11 - To maintain the geological and geomorphological interest of the Great
Orme.
Projects
Liaise with appropriate authorities regarding survey/monitoring of geomorphological features,
coastal erosion and landslips: All years

https://www.conwy.gov.uk/en/Resident/Leisure-sport-and-health/Coast-and-Countryside/Assets/documents/Great-Orme-Management-Plan-2011-2016.pdf

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1104 on: March 12, 2020, 11:35:06 am »
A bit of a sad picture, must be heartbreaking for the volunteers of FOWS

The working party today did some more work on the marram grass project. The plantings at the end of last year look to have taken hold and there is a slow build up of sand so we put more in to fill gaps.    ref FOWS

click to enlarge

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1105 on: March 12, 2020, 02:35:11 pm »
It's such a shame that all that hard work is being undone by the wind and sand on the West Shore

If it can do this to a metal post what chance do the flowers and grasses have

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1106 on: March 15, 2020, 10:35:37 am »
AN OCTOPUS (believed deceased) about one foot long, was spotted washed up on the beach in West Shore.   ref Pioneer

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1107 on: March 15, 2020, 12:39:18 pm »
Not unusual Steve the lobster fishermen hate them in the pots they kill crabs and lobsters

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1108 on: March 15, 2020, 02:14:14 pm »
It was a bit unexpected, I have never seen one in British waters before.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1109 on: March 15, 2020, 02:46:59 pm »
The breast from the East killed dozens of them along with squid I remember Facebook had some photos of them on North Shore