Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360183 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1080 on: February 25, 2020, 03:11:25 pm »
See PS above  "PART of the wall on Marine Drive on the west side of the Great Orme has collapsed following a landslip."

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18257035.llandudno-marine-drive-wall-collapses/

An update on the Marine drive collapse, and some more photos ......  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18257035.llandudno-marine-drive-wall-collapses/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1081 on: February 27, 2020, 11:23:47 am »
Another photo of Marine Drive storm damage, road is still closed.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #1082 on: February 27, 2020, 01:11:45 pm »
That's an impressive photo Steve. it gives you a very good idea of how powerful these storms have become and the damage that they can do

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1083 on: February 27, 2020, 03:06:39 pm »
Climatologists predicted that this is exactly what will happen if we don't get planetary warming under control. There will be an increase in the frequency and severity of extreme weather. Tomorrow's not looking terribly good, either.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1084 on: February 27, 2020, 03:37:42 pm »
I was a bit surprised to see so much soil, I think I expected a more solid base, but it does explain the collapse, as for getting planetary warming under control, it does seem as if there is some positive changes going on, but I suspect, to little to late.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1085 on: March 05, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
It's good to see that the boating lake at the West Shore is getting drained now, well at least of the water, so that's a start
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 12:25:06 pm by Ian »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1086 on: March 05, 2020, 07:04:41 pm »
Hugo, I wondered when someone would take a photo, thanks for that, what a mess, looks an expensive clear up this year.

Have you mixed up your   " shores ?"

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1087 on: March 05, 2020, 07:59:12 pm »
 ))*          :-[

Another senior moment

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1088 on: March 05, 2020, 08:07:55 pm »
I was on the Marine Drive today and noticed that water was pouring out of the garden wall of that former cottage which has been ultra modernised.
That water was in full flow from Ffynnon Gogarth but when I saw it like that some time before, the water was flowing from the opposite side of the old property.
There was a tremendous amount of water coming out of the wall and the well which is also supplied with water from Ffynnon Gogarth was also in full flow

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1089 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:19 am »
I was on the Marine Drive today and noticed that water was pouring out of the garden wall of that former cottage which has been ultra modernised.
That water was in full flow from Ffynnon Gogarth but when I saw it like that some time before, the water was flowing from the opposite side of the old property.
There was a tremendous amount of water coming out of the wall and the well which is also supplied with water from Ffynnon Gogarth was also in full flow

When the rebuild of the house was underway I watched the builders tank out the garage which was dug into the side of the Orme and is behind the parked Blue BMW in your second photo. They specifically said it was to prevent water from Ffynnon Gogarth flooding into the property.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #1090 on: March 06, 2020, 11:26:32 am »
It's good to see that the boating lake at the North Shore is getting drained now, well at least of the water, so that's a start

Better make that the boating lake on the West Shore Hugo  ))*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1091 on: March 06, 2020, 11:40:06 am »
Actually, Hugo had put 'West' in, but I changed it to 'North' after Steve and Hugo both thought 'West' was incorrect. I'm happy to change it back, but perhaps Hugo could advise?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1092 on: March 06, 2020, 11:46:01 am »
I really hope it works for them as it looks like a beautiful conversion of the old cottage.

The flow of water from Ffynnon Gogarth yesterday was unbelievable and you wonder where it has all come from.   The Limestone on the Orme must act like a sponge and releases the water over time.
The last time I saw water coming out of the walls of the property was a few years ago but like I said was coming from the opposite side of the cottage

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1093 on: March 06, 2020, 11:49:31 am »
It is a photo of the West Shore boating lake and not on the North Shore.      I put my  $booboo$  down to old age and being slightly knackered after a coastal walk to the Gun site

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1094 on: March 06, 2020, 12:27:06 pm »
Okay.   I'll move the posts to the right Shore  *cycle*