Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370362 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1050 on: February 18, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
I see that the cafe extension at the West Shore has been given the go ahead and the artist's impression of the building looks very good, it's a shame that the basement area has recently and also  in the past been affected by the floodwaters

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18242573.llandudno-cafe-owner-tells-relief-extension-granted/

I noticed in the article that objections to increased smells had been dealt with by installing a different fan system, there are a few others in town that those need fitted to,  Westshore and Tribells chippy and McDonalds to name a few.

That Wales Water building at West Shore could also do with a fan, a giant one at that

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1051 on: February 20, 2020, 09:18:27 am »
Hi Hugo do you remember the hydraulic ram pump halfway up to the summit,it was situated next to a spring the spring filled a large diameter ram which forced up a smaller ram to pump the water up to summit.

I'm sorry Spotty Dog but I can't seem to remember that, but where was the ram pump located at the time?

I can see that you have just logged in Spotty Dog, would you please remind me where the ram pump once was and I'll try and remember about it

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1052 on: February 20, 2020, 10:53:42 am »
Good morning Hugo yes I'll try it is obvious from the sea,but if you look up from Railway Convalescent home you will see a darker area of grass (summer)that follows a shallow v running down to the back of marine drive .as you know family lived at West Shore and farther pointed it out to me,we used to deal with a firm that made them so am familiar with the workings.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1053 on: February 20, 2020, 11:29:30 am »
Thanks Spotty Dog and I think I know the area that you are talking about.       Near the old Railway Convalescent Home in Llys Helig Drive is a well and water to it comes from Ffynnon Gogarth that lies high above there just under the farm wall.   Just below that well are drain pipes that take the water downhill and I think towards the old cottage that used to be the old Tom and Jerry pumping house if I am correct.   That building has now been converted into an ultra modern house.
I don't want to sound like the prophet of doom but just below Ffynnon Gogarth lies Gogarth Tunnel and every time I have walked past it it has been full of water that flows down the slope.  That was until recent years when it has been completely dry and I have also heard a rumbling noise from inside the tunnel.      I have also seen water pouring out of the garden walls of that cottage so I hope that the property had been properly surveyed before the building was altered

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1054 on: February 20, 2020, 01:50:34 pm »
The first photo is of Ffynnon Gogarth and the second is of Gogarth Tunnel which is just below the well

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1055 on: February 21, 2020, 02:27:44 pm »
Hi Hugo yes that looks like the place,I looked on Google maps which shows the line of the spring.
I've often wanted to go up and have a look perhaps a project for the summer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1056 on: February 21, 2020, 04:42:49 pm »
Spotty Dog, you might like to see this link which includes  info about the Brammock Rods a system used to drain the Copper mines prior to the construction of the Penmorfa adit
There is also another well called Ffynnon LLygad  ( eye well ) just below and to the west but last time I saw it there wasn't enough water in the well to fill an Optrex eye bath

https://www.nmrs.org.uk/assets/lookinside/bm9lookinside.pdf

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1057 on: February 21, 2020, 05:15:20 pm »
Ffynnon Gogarth spring itself was vested in the Churchwardens and Overseers for the parish of Llandudno as a public well.  By legal devolution of title, the spring is now the Town Council's.  Until World War 2 it was used for public water supply purposes by the UDC and they constructed the concrete tanks which now seem to have been filled in. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1058 on: February 21, 2020, 07:02:35 pm »
Cambrian, do you have any idea what this construction is or what it was for?     We saw it when we had a walk on the Orme and it is just below Ffynnon Gogarth but above the Gogarth Tunnel

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1059 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »
Pure guess, Hugo.  Could it be something to do with the Brammock Rods ? 

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1060 on: February 21, 2020, 07:33:12 pm »
Thank you for the link Hugo  I will do a bit of research tomorrow

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1061 on: February 23, 2020, 05:02:00 pm »
We drove around Westshore on the way back from town, parked up for a few minutes in the car park, before I realised the front row of car spaces had disappeared under a good layer of stones etc, considering the number of parked cars there during the storm, I wonder if there were any claims ?

I appreciate that the storm effect on the already disastrous state of Westshore, is superficial compared to other situations, but the whole area is a mess, the only happy face around here will be Jennings, I wonder how much more it will cost, to remove the extra stone and sand this year.

Had a quick look on FB they say the lake has reached the road.  photos FB

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1062 on: February 23, 2020, 11:08:01 pm »
Yes Steve the so called experts have caused most of that, the water out of the pond by the sea side has been like that for at least 2 months, the water has been over the benches for about 2/3 weeks and yesterday morning on our dog walk noticed it up to the road wall, didn't we all know the storms were coming, except the bosses of Ccbc 😡, the drain should have been opened many weeks ago before the storms, maybe if they listened to local knowledge would help, this isn't about global warming at the westshore, as you say another handy job for their friends Jennings 😡

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1063 on: February 24, 2020, 10:14:47 am »
According to our mutual " friend" Norman it has all been dealt with, or so she said on FB. Wonder which planet she is on?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1064 on: February 24, 2020, 10:59:37 am »
According to our mutual " friend" Norman it has all been dealt with, or so she said on FB. Wonder which planet she is on?

Slightly better news, had a look at the FOWS site, this from 4 mins. ago,

"Hi all, some info that maybe of interest, lake still over flowing but council are there just now trying to locate the drain.
Additionally, the tram shelter was broken into again over the weekend (two windows put out) but we now have CCTV footage that captures one of the break ins and this has been referred to the Police, they will be following up.
Final point for now, some of the committee have a meeting planned with the Harbour Master to try and get something done re the stones blocking the path on the far side of the prom wall."

PS a follow up comment...

"Thank you - good to know
One big problem at the moment is the loss of disabled parking spaces near the prom on West Shore car park. Especially since I think blue badges are only allowed for cars parked in disabled spaces?"

That's what I noticed yesterday, (I realised the front row of car spaces had disappeared under a good layer of stones etc,)