Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359559 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1035 on: February 14, 2020, 11:39:04 am »
I do get lost in Google sometimes, looking for details on the Craftnant land slide, completely off track, I found a remarkable collection of old photos of the West Shore area, I will post a few but follow the link for more   https://hiveminer.com/Tags/girl%2Cllandudno
the last photo dated 1905, other dates in the link

Hugo, I was thinking this morning about your photo of the flooded lake, it clicked that it is sea water that has breached the sea wall, am I right ?

Offline Cordyline

• Management board member
« Reply #1036 on: February 14, 2020, 04:24:55 pm »
There appears to be a Lorry crane working by the side of West Shore café
Near the 'specials board'

Can be seen momentarily on web-cam

Emergency  work ?

Offline mull

« Reply #1037 on: February 14, 2020, 06:28:03 pm »
I believe the boating lake is fresh water that has come off the Orme then drains off into the sea.

Hi Hugo, am I right ?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1038 on: February 14, 2020, 08:02:23 pm »
Nemesis I've only had the pleasure of Mrs Saville on FB about the toilets out of order for best part of 12 months, shocking when the two councilors are on the cabinet, the other times about the sand, she said I didn't know what I was talking about, I was an idiot 😂, so I told her my grandparents / father lived in pen Morfa cottage and was born on the Orme 68 years ago spent lots of my time on the westshore, she went very quite 👍, the water for the pool comes off the Orme through the pipe on abbey place with all that sand it's clogged the pool up you can't walk around it at all now.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1039 on: February 15, 2020, 09:00:42 am »
Norman--I'm really glad that you told me/us about your encounter with the aforementioned lady. We had the misfortune to receive a phone call from her last year in which she was highly abusive, so it appears that she has had a go at others.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Helig

« Reply #1040 on: February 15, 2020, 11:46:12 am »
The old photos and postcards take me back to the days when the West Shore was a beautiful place to be and the Boating Lake was used by children, plus enthusiasts from a wide area. It also reminds me of the time when we first moved to Llandudno in 1964. My mother, who was born in the town, saw a house she liked in Bryniau Road. She was very keen to buy it until someone advised her against the idea. They said that living on the West Shore meant you would be eating sand. She was put off the idea of living there. Although it has always been prone to sand blowing into the residential streets, it has never been so bad as in recent years.

Helig

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1041 on: February 16, 2020, 12:01:47 pm »
Photo from FB, looks like a storm casualty .....channel marker ?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1042 on: February 16, 2020, 04:32:39 pm »
Always surprised by the number of people that come down to see the storm and waves, over 20 cars parked, and one woman got blown over trying to take photographs.

The sun had a quick look and disappeared quickly.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1043 on: February 17, 2020, 10:29:22 am »
Photo from FB, looks like a storm casualty .....channel marker ?

I did not realise the size of the above buoy, until Mrs H told me she saw a group of men try to re float it, without success, it dwarfed the men.

Another photo from FOWS showing the inner seawall path, or lack of.....

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1044 on: February 17, 2020, 05:19:18 pm »
Hi Steve and Mull,  I've just got back from a weekend away and have only just seen your posts about the boating lake.   The water is fresh water that comes from an adit in St Andrew's Place.    Water is culverted under the road and emerges at the top end of the lake and then flows into the sea at about a point half way along the lake on the shore side
The Penmorfa adit is quite interesting really and was done to drain water from the copper mines on top of the Great Orme.  Work began on the adit in 1834 and it took another 8 years with 12 miners working round the clock to complete the half a mile tunnel, the water that was drained was then used for dressing the ore before letting it flow into the sea.
The Great Orme Exploration Society have a fantastic web page on the Great Orme but if you want to see photos of the Penmorfa adit then go into their web site, click on photos then click on Penmorfa and you can see some great photos of what the team get up to.   I was invited to go into the Penmorfa adit with them once but declined the invite  and wimped out. 

http://www.goes.org.uk/

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #1045 on: February 17, 2020, 06:24:32 pm »
Hi Hugo do you remember the hydraulic ram pump halfway up to the summit,it was situated next to a spring the spring filled a large diameter ram which forced up a smaller ram to pump the water up to summit.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #1046 on: February 17, 2020, 07:04:50 pm »
Regarding the "ram", I can recall being told that the cylinder cracked during the harsh winter of 1962/63 and it could not be repaired.  After that they relied on mains water.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1047 on: February 18, 2020, 08:33:08 am »
Hi Hugo do you remember the hydraulic ram pump halfway up to the summit,it was situated next to a spring the spring filled a large diameter ram which forced up a smaller ram to pump the water up to summit.

I'm sorry Spotty Dog but I can't seem to remember that, but where was the ram pump located at the time?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1048 on: February 18, 2020, 09:08:38 am »
I see that the cafe extension at the West Shore has been given the go ahead and the artist's impression of the building looks very good, it's a shame that the basement area has recently and also  in the past been affected by the floodwaters

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18242573.llandudno-cafe-owner-tells-relief-extension-granted/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1049 on: February 18, 2020, 10:31:59 am »
I see that the cafe extension at the West Shore has been given the go ahead and the artist's impression of the building looks very good, it's a shame that the basement area has recently and also  in the past been affected by the floodwaters

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18242573.llandudno-cafe-owner-tells-relief-extension-granted/

I noticed in the article that objections to increased smells had been dealt with by installing a different fan system, there are a few others in town that those need fitted to,  Westshore and Tribells chippy and McDonalds to name a few.