Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359916 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #810 on: October 23, 2017, 03:21:36 pm »
Every time I walk along when they are moving the sand I walk along 😂 And shaking my head I know I shouldn't as its my money they are wasting, who in their right mind would just pile the sand up like your pic shows and not realise it would move back 😂😂😡

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #811 on: October 23, 2017, 03:35:44 pm »
Was that today Hugo? ka-ching!

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #812 on: October 23, 2017, 04:54:53 pm »
Was that today Hugo? ka-ching!

No Mondie, those last three photos were taken on 4th April this year when the clean up of all clean ups began.

Just to put you in the picture, whenever they had cleared the sand before, all they did was shovel the sand and dump it alongside the sea side ( the western side) of the cycle track.     Now as you will be familiar with the conditions there, the prevailing wind is Westerly so you don't need to be a marine engineer to know what's going to happen next.
The sand just blew back straight away and the cycle (excuse the pun) of sand clearance just carries on.         &shake&

The CCBC cannot deposit the sand back on the beach below the high water mark unless they first obtain a license from DEFRA and I did suggest to them that they should obtain the license and deposit it a long way away from the path and I'm pleased to see that they did that in April but it hasn't done the trick as we can see by the most recent photos

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #813 on: October 23, 2017, 05:31:51 pm »
Damn, I was hoping to be able to use the path again tomorrow. Yes they do just push the sand to the sides of the path and seem to make an effort to keep the mounds as high as possible to ensure their return to clear again is not too far away. Is this an example of where modern inefficient political management and process has got us?  >>>

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #814 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:42 pm »
It's like an archeological dig, but here six feet deep only goes back a week !
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #815 on: October 23, 2017, 11:51:58 pm »
I think it’s called Job Creation.   :D
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Dave

« Reply #816 on: October 24, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »
Looks like it could get worse!!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #817 on: October 24, 2017, 08:09:06 pm »
As the path was funded by the National Lottery as part of the Around Britain Cycle Path, then perhaps the Council could request a Grant themselves, to help maintain it.  *cycle*
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #818 on: October 27, 2017, 04:05:41 pm »
Further to my last post on the subject Barmouth has got problems again. The volume of sand is holding the water on the prom. and road. This was taken last Monday....it was still like this yesterday only slightly drier.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #819 on: October 27, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
Mind you...get your priorities right. The digger spent 2 days preparing for this weekend's motor-cross, or whatever it is !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #820 on: January 30, 2018, 02:49:34 pm »
I had heard that the West Shore was in a mess again so I popped over this week and had a look.    I noticed that at least one of the houses by the Boating Lake had solid gates so as to try and stop the sand blowing into their drive.
It must be awful for people living in that area now with so much sand in their gardens and not being able to open their windows and the dramatic fall in house prices too.
They can't even park their cars outside or they could suffer the same fate as the metal sign post

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #821 on: January 30, 2018, 07:28:15 pm »
I was also on the West Shore this afternoon Hugo  I travelled up GLoddaeth Ave towards West Shore I have  never seen the sand  deposits so far down the Ave .I feel very sorry for the people who live there it appears to be  a problem for all the residents in that Ares .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #822 on: January 30, 2018, 08:00:28 pm »
It's such a shame Robbie and should never have happened.   Just imagine living in a house there and not being able to open the windows because the sand would come in,
I've attached that old photo by the White Rabbit statue just to show people how it was before the 1993 sea defence blighted the area

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #823 on: January 31, 2018, 12:09:01 am »
I’m utterly convinced that we have many more very windy day so per year than we ever did.
As a young man I remember maybe one night per year of disturbed sleep as the gales rattled the slates on the roof.
Now, it seems to be twice a week!
Similarly, I’d be interested to see if the cable car owners keep records of this, because for the past 3 years or so, they are hardly ever open.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #824 on: January 31, 2018, 08:20:44 am »
This year and last have developed some unusual weather patterns, but in terms of wind you'd have to look at the frequency and intensity of storms over the past 50 years.

The Met Office maintains stats going back for more than a hundred years and digging out the detail is notoriously time consuming, but some things are fairly clear: the weather and the planet are warming, and that warming brings with it an increase in intense events - such as storms. Having said that, the UK weather remains remarkably consistent, mainly because of two factors: the fact we're an island, so the large amounts of water around us tend to leaven out weather anomalies, and the jet stream hasn't really done a significant shift since records began.   

Llandudno has always been notable for having one of the lowest rainfall figures in the UK and one of the highest average wind speeds. The winds always tend to come from the SW - W, which is why the cable car was built so it's shielded from the worst, other than at the final approach to the summit.

Comparisons with when you were young are not easy to make, since a lot of factors would influence your recollections. Geographical location is one major aspect, while young people tend to sleep more deeply and consistently than those of the older, more mature variety. Also, rattling slates aren't a good indicator since you might have less well-affixed slates here than you did when you lived elsewhere. Don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but one reason slates might rattle in Llandudno is down to the corrosive effects of the salt in the air. Apparently, nails don't last as long here...

Z@@
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.