Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360097 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #990 on: October 23, 2019, 02:13:39 pm »
Re previous post......... now at Venue Cymru.........Fusilier Shenkin 1V

Offline SteveH

« Reply #991 on: October 26, 2019, 06:40:30 pm »
Nice night for such a bad day

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #992 on: October 26, 2019, 07:43:24 pm »
Regarding the wooden carving, I took these photos on the 1 July 2018 by the bandstand.

Offline Cordyline

« Reply #993 on: October 27, 2019, 02:51:43 pm »
West Shore cafĂ© now zoom in on their Specials Board  :)
The bird scarer is long gone  :(
Web-cam

Offline SteveH

« Reply #994 on: October 27, 2019, 03:04:04 pm »
I like it, charity begins at home, bet he wished he thought of it before......... $cofffee$

Offline SteveH

« Reply #995 on: November 06, 2019, 11:24:51 am »
I found this article on my bookmark list, from previous searches, about sand as a beach defense, some interesting findings.

To shore up beaches, just add sand?
April 9, 2018
University of California - San Diego
Sand nourishment projects aim to preserve California's iconic sandy beaches -- but little is known about the long-term effectiveness -- and unintended impacts -- of these sometimes multi-million dollar interventions.

New research is shedding light on how mechanically placed sand on San Diego County beaches moves and its potential impacts. The study, published in the journal Coastal Engineering, could help planners develop beach nourishment projects that will reach their intended goals without causing unintended problems. North San Diego County for instance is planning a 50-year, $160 million series of beach nourishments intended to combat flooding and erosion, and provide recreational space for tourists.

Full article and further links  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180409090148.htm

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #996 on: November 06, 2019, 11:32:15 am »
One thing that might work would be the replacement of any flat-faced walls at the top of the beach with wave-shaped curved concrete walls. Could well disrupt the wind patterns and help prevent sand being blown quite so much. They wouldn't have to be high, either; a foot or so is usually sufficient.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #997 on: November 06, 2019, 12:00:56 pm »
I found this article on my bookmark list, from previous searches, about sand as a beach defense, some interesting findings.

To shore up beaches, just add sand?
April 9, 2018
University of California - San Diego
Sand nourishment projects aim to preserve California's iconic sandy beaches -- but little is known about the long-term effectiveness -- and unintended impacts -- of these sometimes multi-million dollar interventions.

New research is shedding light on how mechanically placed sand on San Diego County beaches moves and its potential impacts. The study, published in the journal Coastal Engineering, could help planners develop beach nourishment projects that will reach their intended goals without causing unintended problems.

That's an interesting read Steve but in the case of the West Shore the sand was meant to stay on the beach and not move half way down Abbey Road.     

Offline SteveH

« Reply #998 on: November 06, 2019, 12:25:46 pm »
I put it on this thread, but it probably has more to do with the North shore problem, it mentions the "grain size of sand" not something I would have thought of and I could just see our lot redoing North shore, at great expense , to be told after the first storm, Ah you should have used a bigger grain, they might not be experts, but there is enough information available these days, so they can ask the right questions.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #999 on: November 13, 2019, 03:01:48 pm »
Quite a difference between yesterday and today, around the the same time, the seas crashing, and the coastguard training/on patrol, and now reasonable calm, also FOWS advising sand clearance work underway.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1000 on: November 18, 2019, 04:27:55 pm »
While trying to see what was happening re the Air Ambulance I got this.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1001 on: December 08, 2019, 07:19:57 pm »
Hugo we went round the marine drive this morning ( long story dog) got to the toll gate all you could see was the sand blowing over the road by that small island was covered , when will the idiots stop wasting money and get it sorted.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1002 on: December 09, 2019, 09:37:31 am »
Norman,  I hope that you're not daft enough to do it today as it's a howler.   You are spot on though  with what you say about the idiots wasting our money
Regardless of any nonsense that people might say such as "what do you expect when you live by the sea"  this mess is man made and it was never like this prior to 1993
In the latest Sea Defence meetings one of the options put forward was to remove all the imported stuff from the West Shore and replace it with an appropriate Sea Defence, to me that seems common sense,      On the North Shore they seem to be in favour of removing all the quarry waste from the beach and restoring it to how it was before man made a mess of that beach
So if they can do it for the North Shore then they can also do it for the West Shore

Will they do it?     You and I have been around long enough to know the answer beforehand             &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1003 on: January 15, 2020, 04:41:30 pm »
I went for a drive to the West Shore with Mrs H this afternoon but only stayed there long enough to look at the mess created by the sand and didn't even get out of the car to take any photos as the wind was howling.
Instead, I've attached an aerial photo of the West Shore taken about 1952 when the first sea defence was under construction.   For anyone not old enough to remember, the photo reveals the attractive steps that go down from the Promenade to the beach.
The photo also shows the Gogarth Abbey Hotel and garages and the wasteland on the right of the garage  is where the old Penmorfa Cottages once stood

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1004 on: February 06, 2020, 05:01:33 pm »
Spent the day cleaning windows and cursing the sand in everything, then I remembered why I live here.......
Taking advantage of the WS cam