Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360240 times)

Offline Cordyline

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #975 on: October 14, 2019, 11:59:30 am »
Looking at this screen shot from West Shore Café web-cam
Is that the lighthouse off Puffin Island ?
At night it appears to flash once every five seconds

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #976 on: October 14, 2019, 12:55:39 pm »
Trwyn Du Lighthouse
Trwyn Du Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1838 to mark the north entrance to the Menai Strait

Built1838Height of Tower22 mHeight of light above Mean High Water19 mAutomated1922Optic1st Order catadioptric fixedCharacterFl 5sIntensity3,088 candelaRange of light12 NMRegionWest
The island of Anglesey, off the coast of North Wales, must be rounded by coastal shipping making the passage up or down the western seaboard, and as a consequence of its position in a busy seaway has several major lights.

Skerries was built first, followed a century later by South Stack and Point Lynas, the latter after the wreck of the Rothesay Castle on Puffin Island at the entrance to the Menai Strait in 1830.

The Liverpool master pilots had already been consulted about the necessity for a light on the shore at Black Point, or Trwyn-du, but no action was taken until late in the 1830s when Trinity House built the present station. The lighthouse is situated on a low-lying rock surrounded by shingle beaches about half a mile south of Puffin Island. The circular stone tower is distinguished by three black bands.

The lighthouse was originally manned by two keepers, however these were withdrawn in 1922 when the lighthouse was converted to unwatched acetylene operation.

Trwyn Du Lighthouse was converted to solar power in 1996, work to modernise the station included the development of a unique operating mechanism to work the 178kg fog bell. The lighthouse is now monitored and controlled from Trinity House’s Planning Centre in Harwich, Essex.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #977 on: October 19, 2019, 11:16:31 am »
This info from a local newsletter...  again I think FOWS deserve a  clappinghappy

"The Friends of West Shore latest project is to hand transplant Marram grass from the main dunes to the area between the boating lake and the pumping station, in order to "catch" sand and to prevent build up at the Abbey rd. end of West Shore, the county's Ecologist is very positive about the scheme, working parties will begin trialing certain areas this autumn, and if successful the group would like to expand the project."

Offline Hugo

« Reply #978 on: October 19, 2019, 11:50:02 am »
This info from a local newsletter...  again I think FOWS deserve a  clappinghappy"

I don't believe it!   &shake&    the FOWS deserve  *punch*

Two pictures,  one from 1988  one from the present day

The Council has a lot to answer for      *tumble*

Offline SteveH

« Reply #979 on: October 19, 2019, 12:20:00 pm »

This info from a local newsletter...  again I think FOWS deserve a  clappinghappy"
I don't believe it!   &shake&    the FOWS deserve  *punch*

Hugo, Am I misunderstanding your reply ? are you saying FOWS do not deserve a thank you ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #980 on: October 19, 2019, 07:05:36 pm »
A thank you for what exactly Steve?       

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #981 on: October 19, 2019, 08:00:36 pm »
Steve as Hugo states the council have a lot to answer, The Sandhills ( dunes) where under the golf course the idiots wretcked them,they put Rock groynes in and made sand dunes in the middle of our once lovely beach they planted grass there hasn't worked, so how will it work further on, as Hugo and a few of us keep saying the fine sand only become a problem when the idiots started messing, this council done this mess at westshore and north shore after the 93 floods don't think they can still fathom out it was the rain and Not the sea,  FOW and them two belters councilors have allowed the toilets on westshore to be out of order all summer.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #982 on: October 20, 2019, 10:59:36 am »
I can understand your views regarding the council and some councillors, but I am still at a loss as to why FOWS do not deserve thanks, this is a group who volunteer to help improve the West Shore prom area, with projects, just a few of the many, mentioned on here recently,  surely a volunteer group cannot be blamed for council incompetence. 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #983 on: October 20, 2019, 12:09:49 pm »
Steve,  I am not in any way putting down the FOWS as they should be congratulated for the work that they have carried out in that area.  They have done far more on the West Shore than the CCBC or those Councillors allegedly representing the West Shore have ever done

Having said that the suggestion of planting Marram grass on what should be a lawn I find offensive to the residents of the area who can remember it as it was in the days prior to the ecological disaster created by the Council in 1993

marram grass, bent grass, and beachgrass.[2] These grasses are found almost exclusively on the first line of coastal sand dunes. Their extensive systems of creeping underground stems or rhizomes allow them to thrive under conditions of shifting sands and high winds, and to help stabilise and prevent coastal erosion.  They are for planting on sand dunes not on lawns, concrete steps or parts of a promenade

Whatever next?     Are they going to suggest planting Marram grass on the sand dunes in Abbey Road or that the residents replace their lawns with the stuff and grow Cactii instead of flowers in order to accommodate the disaster that  man has made

The answer is simple.    They are considering removing the quarry waste from the North Shore and then replace it with an appropriate alternative.   Why then don't they remove the artificial beach level and groynes on the West Shore and sand on the lawned area and replace it with something more suitable to that area.

As Norman has said since the Sea Defence on the West Shore was built in the early 1950's that area has never been flooded.   Why shouldn't the West Shore be treated the same as the North Shore.   If Councils will insist in interfering with nature then they should make sure that they know exactly what they are doing.     At the West Shore and the North Shore this Council has just proved the point that they don't

Offline SteveH

« Reply #984 on: October 20, 2019, 01:40:20 pm »
Steve,  I am not in any way putting down the FOWS as they should be congratulated for the work that they have carried out in that area.  They have done far more on the West Shore than the CCBC or those Councillors allegedly representing the West Shore have ever done

I agree completely, I have often thought they were doing the councils job for them.

The Marram grass project, I took at face value, someone trying a solution, for a problem, that should have been dealt with long ago, I also assumed the grasses would be planted on the first line of defense, and not the grassed areas, I had a look on their FB page and found this ...........   
"had a meeting with Welsh Water to get their input on our planned project to plant marram grass near the pumping station (they own the land we wanted to use). The intent is to transplant the marram grass to try and capture the blown sand we get during high winds.

Welsh Water are happy for us to proceed and feel it may also benefit them if it keeps sand off some of their access manholes. So we hope to plan out our next stage next Monday - and finally many thanks to Welsh Water for their support."

I copied a frame showing the pumping station, so I could see the area in question, it is going to need a big clear up, I bet Jennings is saying his prayers.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #985 on: October 20, 2019, 02:59:18 pm »
They need to stop retreating and go out and meet the sea it need not be anything substantial just enough to take the power out of the waves.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #986 on: October 20, 2019, 03:44:39 pm »
Whilst I applaud what the FOWS are trying to do, it does not address the problem.    The problem is the manner of the construction of the sea defence in 1993
Your photo highlights the problem caused by the first stone groyne and the one I have attached shows the three areas of sand problems and it is not a coincidence that the tree groynes are where the problems are.
The main problems are that the groynes are attached to the shoreline and prevent the natural flow of water.   The second and most idiotic problem is that they artificially increased the height of the beach with sand knowing full well that the prevailing wind is a westerly one.
The first groyne has also affected the way the tide comes in and altered the sandbanks there, while the third one according to a forum member has had a detrimental affect on the Deganwy coastline
As any local person of a certain age can tell you the third groyne replaced the black rocks which was a natural feature that filtered and slowed down the flow of water so I don't understand the reason for that third groyne anyway
Spotty Dog is correct with his suggestion but will the powers that be take any notice of local knowledge?    I doubt they will

Offline SteveH

« Reply #987 on: October 21, 2019, 12:02:24 pm »
I was having a look at the earlier posts on this thread, some interesting comments and photos, will continue later,...... I have found a link to five aerial photos, I think showing the construction of the West Shore steps in 1950, and an old post card, showing the groynes.

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/WAW031510

Offline Hugo

« Reply #988 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:41 pm »
Thanks for posting the photo Steve, it shows how much the town has expanded over the years.    I enjoyed the link too and the photo of the Gogarth Abbey Hotel highlights the point about the development on the site.
The rough ground on the right hand side of the photo was the bit of land I made enquiries with Mostyn Estates about.  As it turned out that part was leased and then sub leased so I didn't do anything about it

Offline SteveH

« Reply #989 on: October 23, 2019, 12:31:12 pm »
This photo taken at West Shore this morning, no further information..  ref FB