Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359730 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #945 on: March 12, 2019, 11:01:45 am »
Did the book have a photo of the Pill box on the West Shore Dave?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #946 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:30 pm »
I was there again today and a couple of machines were fighting a losing battle with the wind.  I hope that the workers are not leaving it above the high tide mark but I suppose it doesn't matter anyway as it'll all be going back over the wall tonight or tomorrow

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #947 on: March 12, 2019, 05:39:04 pm »
Hugo you are joking them pics aren't from today, surely our council aren't that stupid, um I'll take that back is this another case of having to use this years budget before the end of month, this gale force winds are till the w/ end today's works will be tomorrow's work 😡

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #948 on: March 12, 2019, 06:07:32 pm »
They're  not actually shifting sand, are they? Do they not have access to a weather forecast?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #949 on: March 19, 2019, 08:34:58 am »
I was looking at the first two photos again, one taken in 1988 and the other yesterday and the only thing that hasn't changed are the benches in the background.   It's a wonder they have lasted so long after being sand blasted day in and day out

The sand dune that is on the steps is now higher than the sea defence wall and I wonder if visitors to the town realise that there are over 10 large steps below that dune

There were 3 machines working on the sand clearance yesterday and while I was there not much work was going on so the sand is likely to be there for a while

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #950 on: May 07, 2019, 05:35:10 pm »
As quite a few of our Forum members are interested in anything regarding North & West Shore Llandudno I thought I would let you know about the recent discussions at CCBC regarding this. At the Economy & Place Overview & Scrutiny Committee meeting on the 2nd May they discussed Proposed LLandudno Coastal Defence Improvements & a Short List Options Report, this meeting can be watched on the CCBC Webcast site. They have made suggestions to raise the sea wall defence on North Shore, install groynes & a number of other things were put forward. Welsh Government funding would pay 100% for detailed designs & 75% for Proposed Construction, CCBC would have to find the other 25% from whatever source they could. One Councillor suggested asking Mostyn Estates for a contribution ???. Hats off to Cllr Greg Robbins & a number of other Councillors who were insistent that the people of Llandudno should be part of this discussion at all stages, to which I totally agree.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #951 on: May 07, 2019, 07:52:46 pm »
I watched that meeting, the only one to come out with some credit was clr Bradfield saying how he used to holiday here then moved here and what a mess our council have done, this council must be paying that Irish guy a good wedge what a lap dog, I laughed ever time he said the cobbles, no mate that is quarry Rock 😡  How many of these councilors spoke out at the time, that's right None all let quite. Now that our once lovely very sandy beach is ruined they let you think they will put it right, see the flying pigs 😡

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #952 on: May 08, 2019, 01:19:58 pm »
I think he is Scottish

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #953 on: May 08, 2019, 06:22:26 pm »
Yes I know he's from Scotland 🤔

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #954 on: July 04, 2019, 09:23:23 am »
A FAMILIAR face on Llandudno’s West Shore beach, will be hanging up his reins after giving holidaymakers rides for donkey’s years.

Philip Talbot, aged 80, is putting his string of six donkeys, named Sean, Snowy, Charlie, Heidi, Lucy and Nick, into retirement and giving up work himself after more than 60 years on the beach.    Cont.  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17748504.end-donkey-rides-llandudno-39-s-west-shore-beach/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #955 on: July 04, 2019, 11:08:00 am »
There has been a lot of activity recently, in the area, grass cutting, painting and tiding etc, even a team from Mostyn estates trimming verges and clearing sand, I have just found out through the Friends of West Shore FB page,  "Its Your Neighbourhood" judging later this week.....

"Last tidying and litter pick done yesterday prior to the "Its Your Neighbourhood" judging later this week, great work by some of our volunteer superstars."  ref FOWS

Offline Hugo

« Reply #956 on: August 10, 2019, 02:59:40 pm »
I've got to admire the volunteers who try to tidy up their area, especially those on the West Shore.     They do a worth while job but I feel that they are not getting the backing of their Councillors.
I've yet to hear one Councillor stand up and say " yes we made a mistake and got the West Shore beach defence wrong"
I've tried looking at the West Shore web cam but it's out of action at the moment and there is no way that I'll venture there and get sand blasted in this windy weather.
It's August now and I have never ever seen so much sand on the streets there at this time of the year.   The Councillor who lives on the front there can see the damage caused but doesn't appear to be doing anything to rectify it.   
It's a man made disaster but it's not too late to do something about it, if they have the will to do so.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #957 on: August 25, 2019, 10:52:04 am »
Another sandy saga, on Friday evening we walked down to Westshore , via Great Orme's  Rd., we noticed the amount of sand on the road and pavements, a little later we came across a gentleman stranded on his mobility scooter. the sand was six inches deep on the pavement, we tried to help. but had to enlist some stronger help, I am sure he would not have been there to long, but it is a disgrace, and shows that the blown sand is not just a nuisance.             sorry other photos not loading

Offline Hugo

« Reply #958 on: August 25, 2019, 11:39:48 am »
Steve,  I know that I harp on about the sand on the West Shore but CCBC's lack of accepting blame for this is disgusting.

It is a man made ecological disaster that could have been avoided if only the powers that be listened to local people at the time.

I'm not saying any more about this mess and will leave the photos to tell the story.
The first was taken probably in the 1960's
The second was taken 1988 about 5 years after the ill fated sea defence was completed
The third was taken in 2019 about 25 years after the sea defence was completed

I defy anyone who is of sane mind to argue that it isn't CCBC's fault that the West Shore is in this situation

Offline SteveH

« Reply #959 on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:07 pm »
The missing photos from above.........  Hugo, the more that complain, is more for the council to ignore   $angry$

These photos are showing the Gt Orme Rd. which is about 100m from the prom. running parallel, which is why it builds up into dunes, with grass growing on them, which shows how long they have been left unattended.

We heard there was a swan on the lake, so we took some lettuce just in case............., looked fully grown, but very small.