Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359652 times)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #915 on: March 05, 2019, 08:24:57 pm »
This council is true to form bless them, so these few days the winds are blowing so they decide to move the sand so it blows back, will they take the sand away from the boating lake 🤔, we take the dog down there most day and as you say Hugo it's getting worse, more sand on the roads than on the beach, Will they clear the cycle track this year or leave it with the new one being done 🤔,

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #916 on: March 05, 2019, 08:55:37 pm »
What is it about  those who are looking after our interests ?

We have the same problems up here. For the past 30+ years Argyle & Bute council have taken the Pier Dues off every passenger, car, lorry, and tour bus using the main island ferry port Craignure.

Result---- Pier fendering is in such a poor state ferry skippers are reluctant to berth in poor weather conditions. Now far more cancellations than in past years making a lifeline service unreliable.Been left to rot oveer the years.

You ask the councellers what has happened to the pier due money ?  Answer---Silence.

These people are supposed to be looking after our interests. ----- End of rant, I am sure Comwy will be the same.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #917 on: March 06, 2019, 09:26:25 am »
This council is true to form bless them, so these few days the winds are blowing so they decide to move the sand so it blows back, will they take the sand away from the boating lake 🤔, we take the dog down there most day and as you say Hugo it's getting worse, more sand on the roads than on the beach, Will they clear the cycle track this year or leave it with the new one being done 🤔,

I hope that you don't go there on windy days Norman, I went last year to take some photos and ended up with an ear full of sand so I'm more careful nowadays.
I've attached this photo previously and this is what the West Shore was intended to look like.     It was like that in our youth and stayed like that until they let the lunatics out of the asylum and build that sea defence in the 1990's.
If you look at the photo closely you can see the wall that was built near the road but you wouldn't be able to see it now as the sand is above the level of the top of the wall.
It's a man made environmental disaster that could have been avoided and the powers that be were told that before it had even been built

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #918 on: March 06, 2019, 10:07:39 am »
Is it just me? I cannot see the photo.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #919 on: March 06, 2019, 11:57:37 am »
Is it just me? I cannot see the photo.

No it's me Nemesis, having another senior moment.        :-[

Now there are sand dunes on the grass and the sand is above the top of the wall.    It's all happened since the 1990's but CCBC hasn't worked that out yet

Offline Hugo

« Reply #920 on: March 06, 2019, 06:32:44 pm »

I hope that you won't be taking your dog for a walk on the West Shore tomorrow morning Norman as westerly winds of over 40 mph are forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning.
Shame that the sand clearance was started earlier this week but at least it keeps someone in regular employment

Here in Colwyn Bay it's bin day tomorrow so my bins are staying put in the garage until the bin lorry comes at about 8.00 am as we have winds of over 40 mph forecast from the early hours of tomorrow morning
Kingdom Security would have had a bumper day tomorrow if it followed the bin lorry along the streets

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #921 on: March 07, 2019, 05:18:14 pm »
Found this photo on Facebook west shore before sea defences

Offline mull

« Reply #922 on: March 07, 2019, 06:00:26 pm »
Hi Spotty Dog,
Looking at the cars in that photo would it be taken about 1960 ?
Sure the car experts will get this one.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #923 on: March 07, 2019, 07:42:54 pm »
Morris minor and the Beetle seem to suggest '60s.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #924 on: March 08, 2019, 12:18:15 pm »
That's a great photo Spotty dog and thanks very much for posting it as it has brought back many happy memories of the time before the ill fated sea defence of the 1990's
To the left of the photo and out of sight was a WW 2 concrete look out bunker that we played in when we were kids and when I started to drive I'd often park my car in those dunes where the car park now is

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #925 on: March 08, 2019, 12:37:20 pm »
We won't ask what you were up to in the dunes in your car Hugo 😁

Offline Hugo

« Reply #926 on: March 08, 2019, 02:13:13 pm »
And I'm too much of a gentleman to tell you either       :-[

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #927 on: March 08, 2019, 02:34:51 pm »
Hugo I walked the dog on westshore this morning , so the 3 machines are fenced off how much are we paying for them to be sat there🤔  Maybe if Ccbc took notice of the weather forecast they could have rescheduled to job, usual cost of this is £1.000 a day.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #928 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:54 pm »
Well you're a braver man than me Norman, I'm not going out today and certainly not to the West Shore.      As for the CCBC well words fail me. 
Who else would build a sea defence  by increasing the height of the sand by 10 foot on a west facing shore where the prevailing wind is known to be a strong westerly?
Then to compound their insult to the town they deposit quarry waste on a North Shore where they were crying out for more sand
Now don't mention the cycle path or I'll have another rant

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #929 on: March 08, 2019, 04:49:24 pm »
Hugo - thanks for the mention of the pill box.  I, too, remember it but can never find the location so I did not dream it after all.  Could it have been covered by the sand or was it demolished ?