Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359891 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #870 on: July 06, 2018, 10:44:11 pm »
All your calls, texts and data usage plans are valid and therefore free, everywhere in the EU.
All the main service providers are linked up in that way.
After Brexit I expect we will soon lose that excellent deal.

Referring to Bri’s original point,..... if I go to Aber Falls, I get told I’m in the Isle of Man by my phone, and sometimes it thinks I’m in the Irish Republic!

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #871 on: July 07, 2018, 08:39:19 am »
Interesting, Fester.

Even more interesting is this proposal for next Monday.

I must confess I cannot quite understand where exactly this is likely to happen and what type of businesses could open up.

Part of a beach front could see more street traders operating under controversial new plans.

An application will go before members of Conwy Council’s licensing committee on Monday.

Conwy County Borough Council, Community Development Services (C.D.S) made the application to change the designation of the area of land between West Shore Beach and West Parade, Llandudno from a prohibited street to a consent street.

In doing this anyone wishing to trade on the street could apply for permission to the council to do so without being charged a fee.

A report before councillors on the committee said: “The effect of changing the designation to a consent street would mean that any person wishing to trade on the street footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment may be able to obtain consent to do so from the council. Consent is obtained by way of an application and paying the appropriate fee.”

The council carried out a consultation to ask the public and other interested parties what they thought.

All 27 of the responses to the consultation were against the proposal to make it easier to trade on the street.

Tessa Wildermouth, Llandudno town clerk, wrote to the committee on behalf of the town council, raising concerns about the plans.

She said: “I have been asked to respond that members were greatly concerned about the impact of the proposed trading on existing businesses and considered that they should support local shops and cafes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #872 on: July 08, 2018, 10:29:25 pm »
They are still at it on the West Shore, this time there were 38 people on the sandbank!

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/coastguard-crews-once-again-called-14882248

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #873 on: July 08, 2018, 10:48:51 pm »
We have a few factors here Hugo  if you stand on the styal by Anglesey road you can see how the chanells have changed ,their has been a lot of comments on f/ b today , I think the did wrong moving the hut from the middle to the far end ( window is obstructed by the reads ) if the hut was by the cafe area the guy would be at the area where they are going out , I think you mentioned John was told they won't put a pontoon on the Orme side as kids would mess about on it that is what I was told also .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #874 on: July 09, 2018, 07:53:59 am »
That's a good vantage point to see the sandbanks Norman and I'll have a look today when I come to Llandudno.   I'll also have a look at the hut as it seems to be in the wrong spot.
What my brother did the other evening was very commendable, even if I say it myself.  It was 9.00 pm when those girls were walking towards the sea and every minute they were putting themselves at more danger.   The water was on the sandbank and the girls and the guy had to wade through the water before finally swimming across the channel.
It's a valid and sensible point about the raft not being there as it would be bound to attract attention from people.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #875 on: July 09, 2018, 05:51:00 pm »
I had a look at the West Shore late this afternoon and can see that the channels have changed over the years and it may be due to the stone groyne that they put in by the Toll Gate.
They have always been dangerous though and people should be aware of the tides there.  I took a couple of photos but they were taken into the Sun and don't show the sandbanks properly

This hut that you refer to Norman, is it that large blue one on the bottom right of the photo and what is its purpose?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #876 on: July 09, 2018, 08:04:56 pm »
Hi Hugo yes that blue container is where the guy is located did you notice the high grass ( reeds) in front of his window , once again people had to be rescued ,this is not a new thing we have had fatalities in the past ,some years ago a local lad didn't make it they could hear shouting at the Lilly but it was dark ,  in my opinion that hut should be nearer the cafe ( car park) that where the people seem to walk out from also the guy works from 10 am till about 4 pm should be there to the tides ,when will this council take notice and the harbour master 🤔

Offline Hugo

« Reply #877 on: July 09, 2018, 10:54:18 pm »
I saw the blue hut from Anglesey Road Norman and didn't go down there to have a look at it so I couldn't see the high grass.   I remember that incident by the Lily and it was so tragic, isn't one death bad enough but it could easily happen again.
It could easily have happened again that evening if  my brother hadn't stopped there at 9.00 pm thank goodness he was aware of the potential trouble the girls were in.
It's been on the news a lot this last week so I hope that CCBC  do something positive about it

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #878 on: July 10, 2018, 07:11:48 am »
There's a limit to how much even the frighteningly inept CCBC can do about abject stupidity, despite the vast experience they bring to the field.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #879 on: July 10, 2018, 08:25:22 am »
You are right Ian of course but moving the hut might be a start and it could be a type of information centre too for the benefit of everyone including the idiots that come there.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #880 on: July 10, 2018, 08:47:32 am »
We take the dog on the beach by that hut when the tide turns I couldn't believe how fast it went out within say 10 minutes it had gone many yards ,I've seen people out there you try and shout / wave but if your not in a position to hear you won't know as happened with the people at the Lilly with a local lad ,  one thing most of us locals that know what can happen ,but people that come from towns/ cities for a day out to our lovely scenery they are unaware ,someone put on f/ b about the signs yes two are by that hut But the people don't go out there but as I've said by the cafe/ car park , so 1 move the hut there 2 have the guy on duty at the tide times, it's not a 10 till 4 job .

Offline andyCYD

« Reply #881 on: July 11, 2018, 07:47:01 am »
Signs will have very limited use in this case for two key reasons:

1. A sizeable proportion of the population do not understand tides - they know the sea comes in and out but don't realise the times and size of the high/low change every day. 
2. Very few people have any comprehension about the speed that the tide comes in at West Shore.  If you get the chance to take a kayak or similar (not an inflatable dingy); go onto the sand back at the turn of the tide - you will be amazed. 

I am shocked that the 'hut' is only manned 10 - 4.  This was certainly not the case in past years.  It does make me wonder what the hell they do??

It wouldn't be too hard to set up a volunteer patrol.  Dog walkers would be ideal (not withstanding the control areas), with a rota to say a number would be at West Shore at the turn of the tide each day.  Issuing the duty patrol with air horns to get attention.  Anyone got appropriate links with RNLI to see if they could coordinate?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: July 11, 2018, 08:37:34 am »
That sounds like a good idea, Andy.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #883 on: July 11, 2018, 03:37:10 pm »
Signs will have very limited use in this case for two key reasons:

1. A sizeable proportion of the population do not understand tides - they know the sea comes in and out but don't realise the times and size of the high/low change every day. 
2. Very few people have any comprehension about the speed that the tide comes in at West Shore.  If you get the chance to take a kayak or similar (not an inflatable dingy); go onto the sand back at the turn of the tide - you will be amazed. 
I am shocked that the 'hut' is only manned 10 - 4.  This was certainly not the case in past years.  It does make me wonder what the hell they do??
It wouldn't be too hard to set up a volunteer patrol.  Dog walkers would be ideal (not withstanding the control areas), with a rota to say a number would be at West Shore at the turn of the tide each day.  Issuing the duty patrol with air horns to get attention.  Anyone got appropriate links with RNLI to see if they could coordinate?

Your mention of air horns made me think of an automatic siren on a timer, set to local tidal conditions, for use during the holiday season....... not sure the Westshore residents would approve.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #884 on: July 11, 2018, 04:50:51 pm »
We had an Auxiliary coast guard on the Gt Orme at one time in a stone building above the gun sites ,this was manned by volunteers until the government got involved and closed most of the stations.
As regards the tides in the estuary like all tides they run to the 12th rule  ie 1st hour 1 12th 2nd hour 2  12th 3rd hour 3 12th 4 hour 3 12th 5 hour 2 12th 6 hour 1 12th as you can see the maximum tide run ie volume is just as the banks are covering .tides for West Shore see link along with tidal graph