Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 359711 times)

Offline spotty dog

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #855 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:48 pm »
There are two rafts one off BlackRocks breakwater and one off morfa beach .the Harbour master department have a man with quad bike on patrol but stupidly 9 to 5 not in sink with the tides

Offline Hugo

« Reply #856 on: June 25, 2018, 02:24:32 pm »
Thanks Spotty Dog for that info,  I would have thought that it would be sensible to have a life raft on the sandbank not about 400 yards away

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #857 on: June 25, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »
Is the life raft really 400 yards away?

I wonder if there is a reason for that?

I also wonder if it is large enough for 21 stranded individuals to at least stand upon?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #858 on: June 25, 2018, 03:09:59 pm »
It would have to be pretty big to hold 21 people !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #859 on: June 25, 2018, 03:44:25 pm »
I agree but that is how many the Llandudno Coastguard managed to rescue according to today’s Daily Post.

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #860 on: June 25, 2018, 04:35:23 pm »
They are placed on the top of the last two sandbanks to be covered by the incoming tide

Offline Mike

« Reply #861 on: June 27, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »
There are two rafts one off BlackRocks breakwater and one off morfa beach .the Harbour master department have a man with quad bike on patrol but stupidly 9 to 5 not in sink with the tides
See what you did there... ;-)
sync/sink

Considering the numbers who venture out ignorant of the risk of the tide coming in behind them, and the resourecs / call outs they generate, maybe it's time for a more proactive approach with something like:
Patrols on busy/hot days/weekends where beach is busy and tide timing may catch peole out
String of marked "Dangerous sandbanks - do not cross" buoys across the beach at the lowest point in the summer season.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2018, 08:32:10 pm »
I don't think that however many warning signs are in place you will still get the idiots that ignore them, it's the same in the mountains too.
The idiots are among us and everywhere, take the lady for example in Colwyn Bay this week who was clinging for dear life to a pole out at sea.  Thankfully those great guys on the RNLI  were able to come to the rescue and save her, but what was she doing swimming in the sea alone at 11.00 pm!

Offline spotty dog

« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »
I prefer Darwin's theory of natural selection to sort out the idiots

Offline Hugo

« Reply #864 on: July 06, 2018, 09:04:02 am »
I was having a drink last night with my brother and he told me about something that had happened to him recently.   He and his wife had driven around the Marine Drive and as they were coming down the Drive he noticed a couple of girls on the sandbank walking towards the sea. He also noticed that the sandbank had been cut off by the incoming tide and he was concerned for their safety.
He stopped his car by the toll gate and could see that the girls were still walking towards the sea and were completely unaware that the tide was coming in quickly and had cut them off from the shore.
Despite his efforts, like whistling etc he couldn't get their attention and the two still kept walking towards the sea so his concerns grew. When he looked over the wall a group of young people were having a drinking session and were completely oblivious to the danger those two girls had placed themselves in.  Anyway that group called out and the girls turned around and started walking back to the toll gate and one of the guys waded across the channel to meet the girls but when he reached them the tide had come in even more and the three of them had to swim across the channel to get to the shore.
If my brother hadn't been so concerned for their safety the consequences could have been so different.

He later spoke to someone who had been assisting in the rescue of those 21 people on the same sandbank recently and he was told that the reason why a raft was not on that sandbank was because it could become like a magnet for some people and may attract young people to it and make the situation worse. There are enough idiots around without encouraging more to the sandbank

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #865 on: July 06, 2018, 03:22:07 pm »
It is frightening to think what could have happened, Hugo.

I cannot understand why someone does not patrol the danger area during the critical times.

On a totally different matter but kind of West Shore related.

This morning, we walked around the Great Orme from West Shore and as you are well aware there is no mobile phone signal until you finally reach the Toll House.

When we arrived there, I received a text message from EE informing me:

“Hi from EE. Great news while you’re in the Isle of Man you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowance.”

I guess someone can explain what happened.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #866 on: July 06, 2018, 03:54:26 pm »
When we had the big Rover P6 Classic car with an old type radio, the only radio wavelength that we could get whilst on the Orme was Isle of Man Radio.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #867 on: July 06, 2018, 04:53:59 pm »
Hopefully no-one rang you while you were "on the Isle of Man" as you will get charged for the call through Manx Telecome.  Same if you call or text someone, it will cost you more.

A few years ago, my wife and I were on IOM and son called her.  After a lenghty chat she tried to call someone and found no credit left - his call to us had wiped us out of credit!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #868 on: July 06, 2018, 05:14:05 pm »
On the contrary, DVT.

“Hi from EE. Great news while you’re in the Isle of Man you can use your plan minutes, texts and data allowance.”

However, calls to countries outside the EU are £1.20 per minute and texts 50p each.

Other charges are the same as when you are in the UK.

Offline DVT

« Reply #869 on: July 06, 2018, 07:09:48 pm »
Must have changed ... it was over 10 years since we were on the Isle of Man !!!