Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 370278 times)

Yorkie

Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2010, 03:43:20 pm »
Possibly it is about time the statue and its abominable cage were consigned to the scrap heap and the town forgett its rather tenuous connections with Alice Through the Looking Glass et al.  

A read of Dogson's Biography makes suggestions of paedophilia and some of his photographs could easily convey that message.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2010, 04:29:22 pm »
 ΒΆΒΆ## Hello  Hugo.

Yes I'd love to be able to walk on the orme - or anywhere else I'm afraid. I'm now so decrepit (belly wrinkles hanging down below my knees!) I rely on a wheelchair or a mobility scooter so the next time I visit Llandudno I'll be somewhat restricted. Thank god for the prom.

Heddwch.

Mike.  (*) 
Micox

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2010, 04:51:37 pm »
 :o :o :o  OMG Yorkie... I never realised that, and its almost heresy to raise the point.... but you are right!

It makes me sick that someone would vandalise the statue,  :puke2:   .. but if the modern society of today can't resist this mindless damage, and CCBC didn't see fit to protect Pen Morfa,it may well be time to move on and forget it.

:'( :weeping: :weeping:
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2010, 05:30:18 pm »
I had another walk on the West Shore this afternoon and it seemed a bit warmer than yesterday although the pond was more frozen today.
That's probably because there was a westerly wind and it was also possible to see the snow on Anglesey which apparently hah had a heavy snowfall earlier in the day.
I stopped at the White Rabbit pond and it is in a mess but worse still, I noticed that someone had broken an ear off the statue.        :rage:
It definitely felt a touch warmer today, probably as you say because the wind had dropped somewhat and also changed direction. Disappointing to see that some moron has damaged the statue again - that cage is less than useless.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2010, 05:35:52 pm »
The cage is as much use as an inflatable dartboard.

Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2010, 01:53:17 pm »
Fester made the suggestion last night of moving the White Rabbit statue from West Shore to the middle of the small roundabout at the junction of North Parade/Church Walks. There, it would be overlooked by properties and could, therefore, be removed from its cage. I suggested some small spotlights could be placed to illuminate it at night and it would be a nice feature for that corner of the town.

I'm Late! by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2010, 03:11:36 pm »
It's a good idea and the statue would be a lot safer but the wording is not appropriate to the North Shore.

Offline MrFalafel

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »
I would suggest that the statue be replaced with a solid metal version but that would probably be knicked by metal theives.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:30 pm »
It's a good idea and the statue would be a lot safer but the wording is not appropriate to the North Shore.
The wording's not really appropriate to any shore since it never happened!  ;D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2010, 11:54:18 pm »
Yes, my suggestion to move the statue was based on my dismay about two things.

1, For years, the controlling councils have allowed most, if not all, Alice themed attractions to disappear, or even be complicit in their demolition.
2, It seems that West Shore itself is getting moread more starved of resource and investment. 

So, its a suggestion based on consolidation and expediency.
It would cost a few hundred quid in terms of labour to get it done, and it would save an eternity of trying to protect and repair it at West Shore.
Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »
If you think moving it to this side of town would make it any safer forget it. Have any of you taken a close look at Queen Victoria's bust (no pun intended) at the bottom of Happy Valley lately? I know the Student rioters who cornered Charles and Camilla in Regents Street the other day were shouting "Off with their heads", but some thieving sod has actually had a go at cutting the old girl from her plinth.  $uk
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2010, 09:26:26 pm »
If you think moving it to this side of town would make it any safer forget it. Have any of you taken a close look at Queen Victoria's bust (no pun intended) at the bottom of Happy Valley lately? I know the Student rioters who cornered Charles and Camilla in Regents Street the other day were shouting "Off with their heads", but some thieving sod has actually had a go at cutting the old girl from her plinth.  $uk
I think that was done many years ago, if its the same saw mark on the base not far from the sculptor's signature?

Yorkie

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2010, 08:20:00 am »
That wouldn't be in the East End of the Town, around Albert Square, would it??      :laugh:

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:04 am »
I had a nice pleasant walk along the West Shore promenade yesterday with my dog and at the White Rabbit statue we made the return walk along the cycle track back to the car.  As I was walking I thought to myself that the sand problem there now is as bad as ever. The small White Rabbit pool has nearly filled up and the cycle track is a mess.
I wonder what the annual cost is for clearing this stretch!
I bet the visitors may say that "what do you expect, it's by the sea and you can't beat nature"  but they would be wrong as man or rather the Council created the problem as it wasn't a problem before.
Just when will CCBC admit that they got it wrong,     :rage:

Yorkie

« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2010, 11:59:21 am »
Unfortunately the prevailing wind is South West blowing straight onto West Shore and the problem will never be cured even if you constructed a 20 foot high wall.    When we lived on Gloddaeth Avenue 200 yards or more from West Shore we always had sand in the front garden and even on the window sills - it's amazing how far it will travel on the wind.

Regular cleaning is the only answer.

And as far as the White Rabbit is concerned, it can be sent off to Daresbury where Alice IS a part of history and save us all the maintenance costs.      ZXZ