Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 371243 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1065 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:51 am »
Poor bloke---surely there must be a 'plan' of the area showing the drainage system. Well----perhaps not!
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1066 on: February 24, 2020, 11:49:36 am »
Now here is an easy quiz but only open for employees of CCBC  and Jennings       &shake&

WHERE IS THE PLUG?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1067 on: February 24, 2020, 11:53:33 am »
Hi nemesis I was on my way back from London last night (train) seen her rant Again, I was down there about 8-30 yesterday morning and couldn't believe they had allowed the water to get that far, we all know the council etc have worked hard these last few weeks but this has been bad especially on the sea side of the pond, We all knew the storms were coming so why didn't they open the drain weeks ago, few months ago I said on FB Why is the council moving the sand in gale force winds  Our friend ranted to clear a path for walkers, she said I didn't have clue when I said my grandparents/ father lived in penmorfa cottages and I was off the Orme she went quite 😂,   This pic this morning if the guy in water steps back towards the other guy he will find the drain round about there,👍

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1068 on: February 24, 2020, 12:13:16 pm »
I have been catching up on the Westshore "Players" by reading "You know you are from Lllandudno " on FB, definite difference of opinions, but interesting comments about, "The adit from Penmorfa mine".

Latest from 30mins ago.

"They are struggling to lift the plug with the weight of the water."        one photo showing the water flowing into road, I believe yesterday ?

PS  Breaking news........

PART of the wall on Marine Drive on the west side of the Great Orme has collapsed following a landslip.

Marine Drive in Llandudno has been closed to the public, but to keep access open to homes on its West side traffic lights have been installed to ensure drivers use only one lane of the road.

Structural engineers are making an assessment of the damage.

In addition, an extensive area of the West Shore is underwater as a result of the boating lake flooding and overtopping due a blocked outlet pipe. Council engineers are working to clear the blockage.

Cllr Louise Emery, who lives in the vicinity, said: “Part of the wall on the seaward side of Marine Drive has collapsed because of a landslip beneath the road.

“Structural engineers from the council are assessing the damage.”
She added: “Traffic lights have been put in place to stop drivers using the seaward side of the road.

“The boating lake on West shore has overtopped apparently because an outlet pipe has been blocked and water is covering a large area around the lake. Council engineers are working to unblock the pipe.”
                      ref Pioneer

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1069 on: February 24, 2020, 12:29:27 pm »
Norman,  you have given them too many clues so I'll have to have a word with you when I next see you.      ;D

Steve, unless they sort this out quickly then there will be more water coming down from the Great Orme.
You've posted some nice photos and they show just how bad the situation has arisen.     The third photo is good and shows the secondary sea defence that the have on that part of the shore.   Planks would have been inserted into those slots in the pillars if there was a threat that the first sea defence was breached        However it was never breached, not by water anyway and the sand only started to come over after 1993

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1070 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:14 pm »
See PS above  "PART of the wall on Marine Drive on the west side of the Great Orme has collapsed following a landslip."

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18257035.llandudno-marine-drive-wall-collapses/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1071 on: February 24, 2020, 01:05:58 pm »
Quite a stretch, too.  They have lights operating there at the moment.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1072 on: February 24, 2020, 02:02:34 pm »
re the 'plug' for the boating lake. Let us hope the powers that be find some way to mark the position of said drain with a discreet arrow painted on the edge before this happens again.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #1073 on: February 24, 2020, 03:12:28 pm »
re the 'plug' for the boating lake. Let us hope the powers that be find some way to mark the position of said drain with a discreet arrow painted on the edge before this happens again.

I thought the same thing, but unfortunately the edge is underwater, maybe make a treasure map, so many paces from a fixed point  ;) anyway I do not think CCbc do discreet.

Another comment on FB, "The pond is usually drained in the winter because it has been known for a long time that when it rains more water goes in than can get out. Nobody seems to know why it wasn’t drained this year."     &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1074 on: February 24, 2020, 04:25:49 pm »

Whereabouts roughly is the landslip Ian?      The stretch from the Toll House to St Petrocks has had a few slips in the past, one of which closed the Marine Drive and the people living beyond the land slip had to go around the Great Orme the other way round

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1075 on: February 24, 2020, 04:51:30 pm »

Nemesis, I agree with that in principle but what if they can't find the marker  because it is covered by two foot of sand?

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1076 on: February 24, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »

Nemesis, I agree with that in principle but what if they can't find the marker  because it is covered by two foot of sand?

A buoy ?It would give the model boat people lessons in steering ! $donald$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1077 on: February 24, 2020, 08:07:34 pm »

Whereabouts roughly is the landslip Ian?      The stretch from the Toll House to St Petrocks has had a few slips in the past, one of which closed the Marine Drive and the people living beyond the land slip had to go around the Great Orme the other way round

Around three hundred yards from the W shore toll gate.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1078 on: February 25, 2020, 11:10:14 am »
Thanks Ian,  my brother in Thailand has seen photos of the landslide near St Petrocks so there must be some photos of it circulating on FB
This morning I drove to the Toll House but the Marine Drive was closed for pedestrians and drivers alike so I couldn't see what it was like or take a photo

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1079 on: February 25, 2020, 11:13:58 am »
Thank you for the link Hugo  I will do a bit of research tomorrow

Here is another bit about Ffynnon Gogarth and I think that Cambrian was correct about that pit being connected to the Brammock Rods

Ffynnon Gogarth
This was the main water source for the Bishop of Bangor's palace at Gogarth and for the farms in that manor. Much later, in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, it became the power source to operate the famous Tom and Gerry pumping engine. This machine by means of a long series of chains and Brammock rods up and over the hill for 1,300 yards and then 250 yards down the mine shaft to work the mine water pumps at the shaft near the summit above Pyllau farm.