Author Topic: West Shore Issues  (Read 360587 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: West Shore Issues
« Reply #1020 on: February 10, 2020, 06:42:43 pm »
That's shocking Steve and it just means that it could happen again and again.     I feel sorry for the cafe owners and all the others that may have been affected by the storm.   
How much thought did the CCBC give to the building of the cafe, houses and car park when they approved the planning  of these structures?

I take it that the original sea defence wasn't breached in the storm but if it was then there is a secondary sea defence which is the small wall by the pavement going from the Toll House to the car park.     I suppose now though thar the secondary sea defence is as much use as a chocolate teapot seeing as the sand comes up to the coping stones on the wall

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1021 on: February 10, 2020, 10:34:51 pm »
A photo was posted on the forum some time ago showing how this section of the West Shore looked like before they built the car park but despite a search I couldn't find it.
Cars used to drive on it and park between the small sand hills that once were there

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #1022 on: February 11, 2020, 09:57:39 am »
Climatologists predicted the frequency of extreme weather events would increase with climate change. Looks as though they were spot on.

One major problem in Llandudno is that a major storm surge plus torrential rainfall can't be planned against without making Llandudno very visitor unfriendly.  I haven't yet managed to get the figures, but this latest storm almost certainly raised the sea level by something approaching five or six feet. Combine that with a force 11 onshore gale, which is what was recorded, plus the rainfall and it was probably almost inevitable that the sea would breach.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1023 on: February 11, 2020, 04:28:22 pm »
If Storm Ciara was not enough then Storm Dennis is due on Saturday, that's something to look forward to      &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1024 on: February 12, 2020, 02:30:39 pm »
I was driving down Abbey Road today on my way to the West Shore and could see enough sand by Ysgol San Sior for the school children to have a sand castle competition.
It was still windy at the West Shore but nothing like the winds that they have been having recently but of course due to Storm Ciara the conditions with the sand were worse than when I was there recently
The Councillor who lives on the front there would have realised by now that those gates at the house are not sand proof and it might encourage him or her to get CCBC to do something positive for once.
At least the Friends of the West Shore take a pride in their location and try to do positive things for it, but they seem to be fighting the CCBC as well as Mother Nature

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #1025 on: February 12, 2020, 02:43:00 pm »
Thanks for the photos, not unexpected, apart from the fact, that the lake is already over flowing, surely this should have been dealt with at the first low tide, especially as mentioned above, Storm Dennis is due.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1026 on: February 12, 2020, 03:07:11 pm »
Thanks Steve, I forgot to mention that the bulbs were planted on the sandbank that  was previously the traffic island between Abbey Road and the West Shore.   Let's hope that the hard work done by the Friends of West Shore is not undone by Storm Dennis
Afterwards I drove to the Cafe and car park and the water has all but gone now.    Obviously the bottom part of the cafe took quite a hit but the miniature railway fared better and only the bottom part of the shed was affected by the water.     A friend of mine is a volunteer there and was working hard there in the cold windy conditions, we only had a quick chat before I left for the warmth of my car.
These volunteers for whatever it is,  rescue, RNLI  or looking after the environment etc deserve a lot of respect for doing the jobs

Offline mull

« Reply #1027 on: February 12, 2020, 05:35:30 pm »
Boating Lake looks to be overflowing.

Has the sand blocked the overflow pipe ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1028 on: February 13, 2020, 03:51:28 pm »
Boating Lake looks to be overflowing.

Has the sand blocked the overflow pipe ?

I don't know about that Mull but the sand may have blocked the main drain as there was quite a stink  coming from the Welsh Water building.  I parked my car by it and got out of the car but then got back in it immediately  to drive further away from the smell
I didn't take a photo of the drain grid as I couldn't find it but here's a photo of one that I took a year ago and the drain must be blocked now with all that sand that has come over the wall since then

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1029 on: February 13, 2020, 07:50:07 pm »
Hugo --re your comment about the councillor on a previous post. You'd think the state of his front path would prompt him into pushing for something to be done in the area.
 As for the stink, there was a nasty smell coming from the sewer system yesterday, in fact we wondered if there was a blockage somewhere.
 The amount of air blown sand on our car and house windows is quite heavy and I believe there is more to come.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1030 on: February 13, 2020, 08:40:59 pm »
I noticed yesterday guys working there they had the hatches open a hoist over it, today a drain cleaner wagon was just leaving wonder if they clearing up in llanrwst and bringing it there,  that councilor mum is a belter on FB trying to defend him him and his mate off millionaires row are useless.😂

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1031 on: February 13, 2020, 10:23:28 pm »
I noticed yesterday guys working there they had the hatches open a hoist over it, today a drain cleaner wagon was just leaving wonder if they clearing up in llanrwst and bringing it there,  that councilor mum is a belter on FB trying to defend him him and his mate off millionaires row are useless.😂

Norman,  even if she is the Councillor's Mum, how can she possibly defend this.   It's sheer incompetence at it's best and just unforgivable to all the people affected by the sand
I'm going to post two photos once more and perhaps if she has any sense she might be able to tell which photo was before the 1993 blunder and which one was after

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1032 on: February 13, 2020, 10:35:59 pm »
Your second photo past them benches near where the Alice statue was they spent £30/40'.000 few years ago taking the sand back, guess what it was back few months later, did you notice how much sand is built up on that island bless the friends they have planted nice bulbs on it but won't see them for the sand, I look at all the grids/ drains and all around the area they are blocked, when will they listen to the locals knowledge. When I mentioned how daft it was to clear the sand in gale force winds Mrs Saville said they cleared it so people could walk around the pond 🤔😂

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #1033 on: February 14, 2020, 09:05:18 am »

Couldn't agree more, have you had dealings with the 'mum' Norman? If not don't !!! If you have, you have my sympathy---------
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #1034 on: February 14, 2020, 10:15:00 am »
I don't know Mrs Saville or how old she may be but common sense should tell her that there is a problem with the blowing sand and that it is getting worse.
She may not be aware of how the problem was created in the first place and no one is blaming her son for this ecological disaster.     That fault was entirely caused by the Councillors who voted for the hair brained sea defence of 1993

What we can blame her son for is the lack of concern he has for the area.    Any Councillor representing the West Shore should make their voice heard through the media, whether that is the local NWWN or the Daily post and bringing the matter up at every Council meeting

There is no excuse for any lack of involvement in sorting the mess out as it won't go away by itself