Author Topic: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno  (Read 39036 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2018, 04:25:24 pm »
Jeff, I popped down to the Archives this afternoon to have a look at the Admission Register  for John Bright Grammar School for the years 1909 to 1912 to see if there was an entry for Robert Roberts who appeared in the 1911 Census and living at Anglesey Villa with William James Roberts who was head of the family and a plumber by trade
Robert Roberts was 18 in the Census but still at school so I would have expected him to be in the Register but  unfortunately he wasn't.   However William Roberts  b 6th Oct 1998 was in the Register and living at Anglesey Villa

I don't think that there are any other records available for me to look up locally so I can't do any more in this area but wish you good luck in your research and hope that you eventually find him.

Offline Jeff

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2018, 11:23:20 pm »
Thank you Hugo
 I am the same run out of ideas, cancelled my Ancestry and Find my past subscriptions if there is any information there I can not find it.
 Thank you for all your help
   Regards
       Jeff   

Offline Jeff

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2019, 04:54:28 am »
Hugo found these two entries not much detail , would there be any way of finding Robert W would have been 22 at the time
cheers Jeff

Offline Hugo

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2019, 01:50:40 pm »
Jeff,   I'm no expert on this but I've had a look on the Commonwealth War Graves site for WW 1

That tells me that the Able Seaman died on 29th Nov 1918 aged 21 so he is not your Robert

The other one I couldn't find on the  C W G  records so I had a look at the Rehobeth Methodist records and I can see a Robert W Roberts of Heatherdale  but that record appears to be of people who served in the WW1 not those that have died in the war,  Incidently on that record is a Wm. J. Roberts   of Penyffrith 

I then looked at the Llandudno Cenotaph and there is no record of a Robert W Roberts who died in WW1.
I did notice a William Roberts of 10 Tyn y coed Terrace who died in the war but whether he was a relation of Robert's then I've no idea

Sorry that I can't help you on this Jeff but there may be someone on the forum who can give you the info you want

Offline Jeff

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2019, 08:33:54 pm »
Thank you ---one more dead stop
         cheers Jeff

Offline Jeff

« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2019, 06:06:26 am »
Hi Hugo Next couple of weeks I am going to rejoin Ancestry to see if any one from Hugh Roberts ( Ethel Kate and Robert William father) brothers or sister family can help me
Robert Roberts 1862-1982 married Ellin Owens they had Owen born 1882 Ellin E born 1885. Owen Roberts married Mary Elizabeth Jones 1910 Wrexham
In 1939 Robert was living in Merthyr Tydfil
David Roberts 1870 married Mary Morgan they had Dillwyn 1916 and Llewellyn 1920
1939 David was living in Ogmore and Garw;
Elizabeth Ellen Roberts 1865-1933 married Joseph Hedley 1895 Lanc; all they children where born lived in Lanc I have spoken to this side but can not help me;

Offline Hugo

« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2019, 12:33:46 pm »
Jeff,   I was hoping that there was someone on the forum from the Roberts family who may be able to help you as there was strong family ties with the Great Orme, but no one has come forward on that

As I've mentioned previously from the June quarter of 1969 the date of birth is put on the death records but I've put Robert William in to the search and there is no entry for your Robert so he may have died before 1969.

Good luck with your searches on Ancestry and I hope that you can find the answer to your search

Offline Jeff

« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2019, 09:57:43 pm »
Hugo Yes thats was my hope some one the site may have been a relative or have some more information, with Roberts being a strong local surname.

Offline Jack

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2019, 02:51:37 pm »
The Llandudno Robert William Roberts survived the war and served in the South Wales Borderers.

The Bangor Robert William Roberts was the son of Hugh and Mary Ann Roberts of 20, Fair View Road.

William James Roberts of Penyffrith was one of eleven children, 7 sons and 4 daughters. His grandfather was one of the early copper miners and his grandmother, Betty, was one of the founders of the Methodist movement on the Orme when in 1878 a Sunday School was established in the kitchen of a two roomed cottage. His mother was from Bangor. William James served in the Royal Navy and died in July 1918 while serving aboard an RN Q-ship. His younger brother, John Elias died during WW2 and is buried on the Orme.

A nephew of William James Roberts (also called William James Roberts!) served with REME during WW2.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2019, 03:20:36 pm »
Thanks very much for that info Jack,  it's a rather sad and tragic tale and it would be nice if Jeff gets the answers he is looking for

Robert William Roberts and his sister Ethel Kate were orphaned in 1896 when both their parents died.   After that the children were split up and Robert lived in Wyddfyd Terrace and Ethel Kate went to Penyffrith
As you know there is a large number of Roberts family members living on the Orme and someone must have heard stories about the tragic events of 1896 , I just home that someone can give Jeff the answers he is looking for

Offline Jeff

« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2019, 05:11:24 am »
Hello Hugo yes me back again--reading Jack's last post about a Robert William Roberts being in the South Wales Borderers. Had a quick look at Ancestry ( not subscribed so can not see information). There is a Robert William Roberts that served in the Monmouthshire Regiment Shropshire Infantry South Wales Borderers. Would this be in the area where Robert would be living at that time. Not getting my hopes up as we have found out there are two or three Robert William Roberts
Cheers Jeff

Offline Hugo

« Reply #146 on: December 01, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
Hi Jeff,    I see that you haven't given up on finding your Robert William Roberts but it must be so frustrating for you.

I don't subscribe to any Ancestry site either and I'm afraid that I can't advise you on the matter as I don't know much about the military.
When I was looking for a relative of mine it cost about £30.00 to get their service records but if you were to get the wrong one then it can be a costly mistake.

I'm hoping that other forum members who know about the military may be able to advise you on this matter.  I hope that your efforts help you to find the right person and don't forget to post on here if you do get lucky

Offline Helig

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2019, 09:59:26 am »
I have searched on Ancestry today and there are some Family Trees for Robert William Roberts on the site. I cannot be sure they are all for the same RWR as they are all Personal Member tree which means you cannot access them without permission of the person who has posted them. They are:

Butler Family Tree, Robert William Roberts, born 1892, Caernarfonshire.

Alderson/Barrett Family Tree, Robert William Roberts, born 1892 Llandudno.

Lelly/Coleman/Leahy/McCall Family Tree, Robert Roberts, born 1892 Caernarfonshire.

Niven Family tree, Robert Roberts, born 1892, Llandudno.

The most hopeful appears to be the second of these, the Alderson/Barrett tree. The others are possibles but you would need to access them to see for certain.

Helig

Offline Helig

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2019, 11:43:32 am »
Ancestry does have some details of Probate, or Administration, obtained for men by the name of Robert William Roberts.

Died on 23/08/1964, Robert William Roberts of Hillcrest, Griffiths Road, Coedpoeth, Bersham, Wrexham, Administration to Robert Roberts general builders foreman.

Died 19/10/1954, Robert William Roberts of Dunedin, of 6 Willoughby Road, Colwyn Bay, Probate to Jennie Roberts, widow.

Died 15/07/1943, Robert William Roberts of Carreglleon, Capel Garmon, Denbighshire, Administration to Hannah Roberts, widow and William Thomas Roberts, Farmer.

They don't show their ages when they died, or any date of birth.

The only thing that we can say for certain is that he would have died by now.

Helig

Offline Jeff

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2019, 12:00:11 pm »
 Hello Helig Thank you for the information hope, I can ask a favour on Ancestry in the first world war there is Robert William Roberts under British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
AWARDS & DECORATIONS OF HONOR
View Image
Record information.
Name   
Robert William Roberts
There are 5-6 entries for either Robert William Roberts or Robert W Roberts. Is it possible to check to see if his birth day was 26 Oct 1892 in Llandudno.
 If that is correct I will join Ancestry and get the rest of the information
 Regard
       Jeff