Author Topic: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno  (Read 39032 times)

Offline Jeff

Re: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2018, 12:51:27 am »
Just looking at deaths Hugo there is a death of a Robert Roberts born abt 1893 died in Bangor March quarter 1960 age 67 8a 318, but the same story lots of Robert Roberts born around that time.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2018, 12:24:03 pm »
Which Ellen am I looking at?

Sorry Jeff but I don't know.  I was just dabbling on Google and put Tyntwca in as I was wondering if the property was still there but noticed that link on Ancestry and thought that you might be interested in it.
However when I had another search for the property I saw that you were already aware of it by your posts in Roots Chat.

It's difficult trying to trace people when they had names like Ellen and Robert and can appreciate how much time that you have spent looking for them.     If there are any Baptism records in the Conwy Registration District then it will only give you the names of the children and may not help in your search for the present day family members.

You have a place and date of death for Eric Roberts and would suggest that you phone the Bangor Crematorium and explain the situation to them and if they don't have the records then they will point you in the right direction.

By the way, have you done one of those DNA tests that they do on Ancestry or My Heritage?     I did one last year and put all the people in that I definitely know as being related to me and you'd be surprised at what turns up and people getting in touch.   

Offline Hugo

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2018, 01:11:13 pm »
I was curious about the Welsh word twca as I can't remember what it meant and used Google to find it and this link came up.
The literal translation of Tyn Twca is   Tyddyn = smallholding   Twca = knife but obviously it had a more definite meaning in those old days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duN1V-78Z0Q

Offline Jeff

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2018, 02:29:51 pm »
Hi Hugo
 I have sent an e-mail of to Bangor Crematorium to see if they can help me with Robert died 1960 and his son Eric 2000. With the DNA I most be one of those people that are very sceptical about  the test  . I do not like the idea that some one else is holding my DNA  in this era of personal information getting pass on the third parties . Friends have done it they only got back they are from area's of British Islands
   Jeff

Offline Hugo

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2018, 03:21:30 pm »
That's not so in my case Jeff.  I only did the DNA as I wanted to know where my ancestors came from.   In my case about  76 per cent is from Celtic background but I have Scandinavian and Italian ancestry with a smidge of Turkish/Iranian thrown in.

My DNA is held in Houston Texas and I've had numerous additions to my tree from all over the world, all of which are authentic and I have had numerous requests to correspond with them but declined each one as I'm only concerned with my immediate line.

I hope that you have a positive result with your e-mail but please let us know the result on here.     I'm completely stuck on a photo I have and think that it was my late father's brother but no one can help me and it's so frustrating.  If only I asked my father who it was or he put the name of the person on it but obviously it's too late now.
I have even sent copies of the photo to friends and just asked them to guess at the age of the person in the photo and roughly when it was taken just so that I could see if their opinion agreed with mine.   The family resemblance is uncanny and one friend even thought that it was me but I need the confirmation from someone.   DNA evidence could help, but what will be will be

Offline Jeff

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 01:56:41 am »
Hi Hugo
  I have did a reply from Bangor Crematorium they do have both Roberts death records but have ask for more information, I can not supply any thing past 1939. Is there any News paper  archives that are online that I may get more  up to date information.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 12:17:39 pm »
Hi Hugo
  I have did a reply from Bangor Crematorium they do have both Roberts death records but have ask for more information, I can not supply any thing past 1939. Is there any News paper  archives that are online that I may get more  up to date information.

I don't know if the papers are online but the most likely ones are Daily Post (North Wales)    North Wales Chronicle and the Caernarfon and  Denbigh Herald but what information does Bangor Crem want?

If the papers are not online try the Gwynedd Archives and tell them exactly what you are looking for and they may be able to help.  There is normally a small charch for it but they do use their staff who can access the records easily.    In Conwy Archives they have the actual papers there and you can browse through them yourself but these papers are only the ones for Conwy County and you need the Gwynedd ones.

https://www.gwynedd.llyw.cymru/en/Residents/Libraries-and-archives/Archives-and-family-history/Archives-and-family-history.aspx

Offline Jeff

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 03:04:41 pm »
   they are looking for ------Do you have any further information i.e. his address or who would have registered the death, did he have any other children other than Eric?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 06:49:00 pm »
   they are looking for ------Do you have any further information i.e. his address or who would have registered the death, did he have any other children other than Eric?

That's strange Jeff but I wonder why they have asked that if they have already found the two people you are searching for?   Do you think that it's worth a phone call to the Crem?
Obviously there is no way that you have that information and the only way you can get it now is to hope that the obituary was put in one of those newspapers I mentioned

Offline Jeff

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2018, 01:32:44 am »
Hi Hugo-------Back to square one ,received marriage cert today wrong Robert Roberts 48 year old widower plus have not had any more reply's from Crem so there is no more added information I can give them. I still think there is a fair chance the family on the 1939 register are what I am looking for, it is no good sending away for William birth cert; it will not help

Offline Hugo

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2018, 09:29:27 am »
That happens sometimes Jeff and it's so frustrating.   I haven't been to the Archives for a while because of this glorious weather but I was thinking about this yesterday.
There were only two Robert Roberts' born in 1893 in the Conwy Registration District so one of them is definitely your relative.  I'll have a think about this later today but must go now as I've a game of golf this morning.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:52 pm »
Jeff,  I've looked through all the posts and although you have a Census record in 1911 for Ethel Kate  I haven't spotted one for Robert.  In 1901 Robert was in the boy's home in Colwyn Bay  but by the 1911  Census he would be nearly 18.
At that age you would expect him to be working and perhaps in lodgings somewhere.

There are just a few questions I would like to ask about Robert:-
Have you found him in the 1911 Census?
Did your Grandmother have any contact with him in their adult life ans was it her that told you about Robert marrying Elizabeth and their children or did you find those details from the 1939 Register?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2018, 02:49:07 pm »
 No I have never found him in 1911, All but two of the Robert Roberts born around that time are sons to the head of the house .there are only two others ( I do not have the 1911) but from memory one is a farm worker and the other is a nephew to the head of the house, I could not find that head of the house in my tree. As my grandmother by 1911 was living in the uk Robert may moved there. If my father knew he never told me and my grandmother never got on with my mam so I hardly ever went there . At the back of my mind I think I heard my fathers sister may have look them up one time . Will send an email to my cousin in Blackpool if he knows more but when I write about family history he never answers. With Robert and Elizabeth I just think that the Robert born in the Jan; quarter 1893 and the date of birth on the 1939 as 12 Nov; 1893 is just to much of a coincidence
Sorry I am not much help if you think it help I can send away for the birth of Robert jan;quarter 1893

Offline Hugo

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »
Jeff, don't send off for any more certificates until you know that you have the correct person because it's so expensive.   It's hard to tell what is fact and what is not but the answer is out there somewhere.

With regards to Robert & Elizabeth do you mean the Dec quarter for 1893 because that would fit in with the birthday on 12th Nov 1993?
There were only two Robert Roberts' whose birth was registered in the Conwy District in 1993 so one of those is definitely your relative

I'll have another visit to the Archives asap but I don't know when that will be, but in the meantime I'll think about the records that will be most helpful in your search

Offline PhilMick

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2018, 05:32:00 pm »
Hugo & Jeff - has anything come up on Ancestry Family trees?

Phil