Author Topic: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno  (Read 39028 times)

Offline Jeff

Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno
« on: June 01, 2018, 02:09:48 am »

Sorry I think I entered this in the wrong place

ยป

Thank you for excepting me,     My grandmother Ethel Katie Roberts was born in 1891 and living at 1 Penbroke Villa Hew Street Llaududuo parents Hugh Roberts and Kate Roberts nee Jones. Ethel also had a younger brother Robert born 1893 and on the death suddenly in 1896 of both parents died 3 month apart of Pleuro Pheumonia both children where put into Oakamoor Boys Home (1901 census) .In 1911 my gran is in Blackburn then on to Durham to marry. I am hoping some may help me to find Robert family, what I believe he is on the 1939 register along with his wive Elizabeth nee Jones and two of his 4-5 children William born 1925 an Eric R J  Roberts born 1930
 Thank you Jeff

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Robert Roberts born 1893 Llandudno
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »
Hi Jeff,  could you please just clarify some points:-

a) where and what was the Oakamoor  Boys Home?

b)   Was your Grandmother in touch with her brother and did she have an address for him in this area as you seem to know a bit about Robert and his family?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:51:53 pm »
Hi Hugo, I received this in my early days  of looking ..The home was located in Coed Pella Road, Colwyn Bay somewhere near the Constitutional Club.  We have no idea how long the home was in existence although it is not listed on the 1891 census and was no longer a home by 1911. On the 1901 census it should read Oakamoor (Boys home) rather than Oakamoor Bryn House  . As to have been in touch with her brother I believe my fathers sister may have went there at some time but if she did nothing was said. Like all children growing up you are to interested in what happenings tomorrow not what happened years ago. I do not know a great deal but it is what I have put together over the years, all I can remember was there was a brother Robert (that I was told went of to be a Don at a university). I am guessing that the Robert on the 1901 census is him but no concrete proof, but with a name of Robert Roberts born around 1893 in Conway there was a lot to pick  from, the nearest I got is the one on the 1939 register. Up till  now I have not had any one on the any mailing lists that know of the family.
 Thank's again
 Regards
        Jeff

Offline Jeff

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 08:24:32 am »
One thing I find hard to understand is at the time of Ethel and Robert parents death in 1896 father Hugh had two brothers and two sister and mother Kate had four sister and two brothers living close by plus both sets of grandparents where alive so why but the two young children into a home.
 Jeff

Offline rhuddlan

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:48:08 am »
 .Ive no time to do any research today but it may help Hugo....

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/ColwynOakamoor/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 01:11:03 pm »
Thanks Rhuddln, I'll look at it a bit later.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 02:36:17 pm »
That's a good find Rhuddlan, the home in Colwyn Bay housed up to 20 boys but I'm not sure where Ethel Kate fits into this as it's a boys home.

Jeff, if Robert was a Don at a University the chances are that he wouldn't be living in this area but you can't be certain of these things.
I've no personal knowledge of the family but there are a number of things that can be done which may help but I think that the best way to look for him is to start at the beginning in 1893.
The Conwy Archives at Llandudno will have his Baptism records providing of course that he was Baptised.    They will also have the Baptism records of any children of Robert and Elizabeth providing that they were also Baptised and in Conwy County.
One other thing that they have there is a Street Index, it has the names of people listed alphabetically and where they lived but these are limited to 1929, 1939 and another in the 1960's as well as a few earlier than that

I'm unable to go to the Archives until next week but will gladly go to have a look and see what I can find and post it on here

Offline Jeff

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 06:25:53 am »
Hi Hugo
  With him being a Don I think it is one of those family myths that just gets hand down.
  I will email the Conwy Archives at Llandudno  and ask about the bapt;  if they have it I will order it, will ask about there marriage as well.
 Thank you for the offer very much appreciated
 Regards Jeff
 PS where most children are give parents or grandparents names in my case my middle name  is the area they came from but with an add A

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:18:29 am »
Hi Jeff,  the Baptism records may give a clue with the names but if you hold on requesting them for a week I'll be able to have a root around their records and may come up with a few more things.
You mentioned the 1939 Register and the possibility of Robert being there, what was the address for those records?

Offline Jeff

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 09:30:31 am »
Hi Hugo
   24 Pool Hill Residence Place:   Caernarvon, Caernarvonshire, Wales the entry before that is Pool Side Square
Sub Schedule Number:   1
Enumeration District:   ZDDE
Registration district:   630/3

Offline Jeff

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:01:33 pm »
Hi Hugo
This may help if I have the correct family Robert born 12 Nov; 1893, Elizabeth born 6 Dec 1898, William 4 Aug; 1925 and Eric born 6 Sept 1931
 Jeff

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 07:39:33 pm »
Hi Jeff,  thanks for posting the address on here but if it is correct then there may be complications.    Any Baptism records for the children if they were born in Caernarfon would be in the Gwynedd Archives in Caernarfon.     

Robert's own Baptism record if there is one, would be in the Conwy Archives if he was born in Llandudno but I'm hoping that a search in the Conwy Archives may reveal some more info to go on.

If Robert did live in Caernarfon he may have been a Don as Bangor University was only 9 or 10 miles from the address in Caernarfon

Offline Hugo

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 09:32:28 pm »
Hi Hugo
This may help if I have the correct family Robert born 12 Nov; 1893, Elizabeth born 6 Dec 1898, William 4 Aug; 1925 and Eric born 6 Sept 1931
 Jeff

Jeff,  I have checked the birth records on the dates provided for Robert and Elizabeth and this is the position;-

There is only one entry for a Robert Roberts registered in the Conway Registration District for the quarter ended Dec 1893

There is also only one entry for an Elizabeth Jones registered in the Conway Registration District for the quarter ended Dec 1898 and her name is recorded as Elizabeth Ellen Jones

The Baptism records will show Robert address and confirm whether this is your Robert

PS     I did find a marriage between Elizabeth E Jones and Roberts in the Conway District but this was for June 1926 which did not fit in with William's date of birth in 1925, unless of course William was illegitimate

Offline Jeff

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 12:16:36 am »
Hi 
   there is this one ---Robert Roberts m Elizabeth Jones Jun Q 1917 Conway Reg
Jeff

Offline Hugo

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 12:35:04 am »
Thanks Jeff,  I've now seen that entry and it's given me something to work on.