Author Topic: Armed Forces Day  (Read 5416 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Armed Forces Day
« on: May 31, 2018, 01:11:20 pm »
Preparations are well and truly underway for Armed Forces Day event in Llandudno as it draws closer.

Excitement has been building after it was revealed the Princess Royal, Princess Anne, would be attending the event in Llandudno.

The Royal Family website said: "The Princess Royal will attend Armed Forces Day Commemorations at Venue Cymru, Promenade, Llandudno."

While it is yet to be confirmed, Theresa May could also be set to make an appearance at the event, that will take place on Saturday June 30, with the Prime Minister having attended every national Armed Forces Day event since they began 10 years ago.

Outgoing Llandudno Mayor, councillor Francis Davies, said: "It is an honour to be able to hold this event, we beat off some strong competition from prominent towns and cities.

"We can't believe our luck to get this prestigious event in our town. I am really looking forward to it."

The Royal Airforce's Red Arrows have also been confirmed as making an appearance on the day.

Conwy County Borough Council corporate events, customer and marketing manager, Rachael Gill, said: "Planning is well and truly underway and it is going very well.

"It is going to be an amazing day for Llandudno and North Wales. There will be lots to see and lots to do on the day."

More than 250,000 people are expected to attend the tenth annual national Armed Forces Day in Llandudno which could see an economy boost of about £4 million.

The event, which is held as a thank you to the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force, and veterans, will be staged from June 25 to July 1.
The week of events will include a flag-raising ceremony, Reserves’ Day, a gala dinner at Venue Cymru, and military parade on the main day in Llandudno on June 30.

To keep up to date with the event visit www.conwy.gov.uk/events or follow @EventsConwy on Facebook and Twitter.

Ref Pioneer

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Armed Forces Day
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 09:54:19 pm »
Having seen a plan of the road closures ---------------how can people get into the town?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »
They have only had nearly 12 months to organise this ,the whole prom is closed off wonder where all the cars coaches are going to park ,talking to some hotels they haven't been told much .🤔

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 08:55:21 am »
According to the printed map which has been issued, the road is closed before Bodafon fields and also along behind there. If they don't close it further up past Craigside all the traffic will have to turn back and go via Mochdre which it appears to be going to have to anyway . That side of the town looks completely closed. This isn't a  grumble, just common sense !

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 09:36:15 am »
According to the printed map which has been issued, the road is closed before Bodafon fields and also along behind there. If they don't close it further up past Craigside all the traffic will have to turn back and go via Mochdre which it appears to be going to have to anyway . That side of the town looks completely closed. This isn't a  grumble, just common sense !
There are too many events in Llandudno needing road closures, it's as if they don't give a dam about the locals/business.
Events Conwy needs think again about how they do things. The next thing is we'll have GB Rally Wales and more road closures.
A few years ago a senior police officer told me Llandudno doesn't matter as the traffic goes nowhere, not the case if you live here.
It makes little difference to me as I don't have a car but I can see down side. CCBC needs to think how it effects the locals and business
in the town.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 09:46:50 am »
It does look a bit odd.  I can't really make out which roads are closed for the two days and which only for the one day. And, presumably, the entire Bodafon Rd is shut, although that's hardly made clear.
[smg id=3397]
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:24 am »
I am sure that like everyone on here, we all support the Armed Forces, (I'm ex-military myself) but the mind boggles at 250,000 visitors descending on Llandudno. I don't see how the roads infrastructure can take it; I just hope the planners have all the logistics properly squared away.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I foresee gridlock and chaos.

In all seriousness, Mrs B and I are using it as an excuse (as if one were needed) to have a few days away. Dublin, Edinburgh, perhaps, we've not yet decided....
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 10:47:43 am »
Fferm Bach Rd /Tan-y-Bryn Rd will be chaotic as traffic attempts to access Bodafon Fields via a shortcut and the map shows a road from the corner of the two that hasn't been open for over 100 years!!
Who's responsible for that then!

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:51 am »
It does look a bit odd.  I can't really make out which roads are closed for the two days and which only for the one day. And, presumably, the entire Bodafon Rd is shut, although that's hardly made clear.
[smg id=3397]

I read somewhere that Bodafon Road is to be used for an emergency V I P exit!

That road is very narrow right from where it joins Bryn-y-Bia after the bus route all the way through to Nant-y-Gamar so if people are hoping to use it as a 'rat run' I hate to imagine !

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 09:17:11 pm »
Fferm Bach Rd /Tan-y-Bryn Rd will be chaotic as traffic attempts to access Bodafon Fields via a shortcut and the map shows a road from the corner of the two that hasn't been open for over 100 years!!
Who's responsible for that then!

No civilian vehicles will be able to access Bodafon Fields, as it is going to be Armed Forces Camp, which will be accommodating about 900 personnel.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline bigbadhenry

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 10:22:27 am »
How are you going to get into Llandudno by bus if they close the prom. Seems locals going about there daily business don't mater.

Offline Dave

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 12:02:53 pm »
Great to see the Red Arrows are putting on a display, well according to the Pioneer anyway.Having searched the Conwy Gov website there is very little in the event of what is happening during the week despite the promise of an update nearer the time.Hardly conducive to making plans is it!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 04:06:43 pm »
A park and ride service will be set up for the weekend in order to help keep roads in and around Llandudno flowing smoothly.

The service will be operating from ten sites, including, Coleg Llandrillo in Rhos-on-Sea, Civic Offices in Colwyn Bay, and several fields on the outskirts of Llandudno.

Whilst parking at the park and ride sites will be free, buses will charge £1 per person each way and will run between 7am and 9.30pm (Under 5s free).

For more information visit: www.bit.ly/AFDLlan.                  REF Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »
More than a quarter of a million people are expected to descend on Llandudno for Armed Forces Day.
The coastal resort will play host to the main national celebration of the UK’s servicemen and women on Saturday, June 30.

But Conwy is planning a week of events, from June 25 - July 1, to mark the occasion, and this is estimated will pump £4 million into the local economy.

The Princess Royal, Princess Anne, will attend the event, and there will be flypasts from the Red Arrows and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight team which includes a Lancaster bomber, Spitfire and a Hurricane.

One of the highlights of the week will be a parade through Llandudno on Armed Forces Day itself, where around 1,000 serving personnel, veterans, cadets and marching bands will set off from the Llandudno War Memorial at 11am.

The parade, which organisers say promises to be an impressive display of both sound and colour, will then march down the road adjacent to the promenade, finishing in a salute to a number of special guests and dignitaries outside Venue Cymru .
Following the parade, visitors will then have the chance to interact with exhibitions and activities along Llandudno Promenade and Bodafon Fields including static aircraft, armoured vehicles and a diving tank.

MORE   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/uk-armed-forces-day-taking-14780538

Has anyone seen a timetable of the events ?     

Offline SteveH

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2018, 12:15:00 pm »
From the Daily Post today..................

Here's the full programme of events for National Armed Forces Day 2018 in Llandudno
This is the schedule for the UK centrepiece event being held in North Wales.

MORE   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/heres-full-programme-events-national-14792088

The timetable of events:
Activity   Time   Location
Parade Starts   11:00am   Llandudno Promenade
Red Arrows   12:00pm   Air Display
Battle of Britain Memorial Flight   12:25pm   Air Display
Typhoon   12:47pm   Air Display
Royal Air Force Military Working Dogs   1:00pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields
Royal Marines Unarmed Combat Display   1:25pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields
Band of the Sea Cadets   1:45pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields
Royal Logistic Corps Silver Stars   2:00pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields
Royal Navy Raiders   2:15pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields
Band of the Army Cadets   2:35pm   The Arena, Bodafon Fields