Author Topic: Ian Ryland  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Ian Ryland
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:47:00 pm »
It was sad to hear about the death of Ian Ryland who was aged 71.    With his woolly hat, glasses and guitar he could be seen busking outside the Men's Marks and Spencers shop in all types of weather.
To me Ian was a friend and former classmate in Lloyd Street Primary School and he had an incredible talent for writing.   I remember in our English lessons, the highlight would be when the teacher read out one of Ian's essays.
I thought "Riley" as all his friends called him would have had a career in writing but he obviously had other talents too and my thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Offline squigglev2

Re: Ian Ryland
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 06:52:13 pm »
Sorry to read this.  I'd not seen him in a long while even in my N Wales days but I knew him (as Ian Paul) mostly from an early 80s attempt to get a regular folk club started in the Parade in Llandudno.  He (and IIRC Martin Ward) didn't stay that long with it and the club had its ups and downs  but you could say the effort he kick-started ran through to the 90s, moving on to the London after the Parade.

Offline Robbie G

John Hughes
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 07:13:07 pm »
John Hughes the former Arsenal footballer has died after a long illness at Glan Clwyd Hospital will be sorely missed by many.

Offline Hugo

Re: Ian Ryland
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 07:33:13 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that, John was a very promising footballer but an injury brought his career to a premature end.   You can see John's photo when he was pictured in the  1960  JBGS magazine with Alan Macintosh and Keith Pritchard, three amateur international footballers from JBGS

PS    I've followed on from Robbie but shouldn't this be a separate obit for John Hughes