Author Topic: Which? and the Consumers' Association  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Which? and the Consumers' Association
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:59:13 am »
I know some here still read Which? but I've been a member for quite a few years and during the past 14 I, along with many others, have detected a change in its core values. I'm also part of a group of ex-Which? members who left because they felt that Which was starting to treat its core members and subscribers badly.

Things, however, haven't improved, and last week those who continued to use the email service belonging to Which? and which was offered as part of the ISP/email/content package they created  in 1995 were abruptly told the service was closing in a few weeks.

Now, when you've used a service for 22 years the email address you have becomes part of your digital existence, as many of you will know, and being told to clear off because they can't be bothered running it any more isn't exactly what you'd expect from a self-styled 'Consumer Champion'.

For the past week I've mounted a campaign against the closure and it's led to reports in the Daily Express, the Register, the Mail and a few other outlets. Today, however, a letter appeared in Which?'s own Conversations forum and I've copied it into here:

Jonathan Hayes says:Today 17:50

To the Most Senior Management at the Consumer Association,
I have just received your letter advising me that your closing the which.net service.
I am a totally dependent paralysed man, who is been using my which email address to advertise for my carers ever since you issued email addresses. This is not a business, I do not make any money from it! You have no idea how much work you are giving me, as I can only type with a mouse stick!
I have been a great fan of the Consumer Association and have continuously received your publications since 1978.
You now are requiring me to do a colossal amount of work within just 6 weeks, to advise literally hundreds of people across Europe that my email address is having to change. All my advertising, has gone out with my which email address on! It’s going to cost me hundreds of pounds to perform the exercise again! If you are giving us 6 months notice then I would have a chance to do what you are forcing me to have to do! If you do not extend the notice, then I will cancel all my various subscription items with you and take every opportunity to point out to friends and relatives and other contacts that your organisation cannot be trusted!
You are supposed to be a champion of consumers, setting a benchmark for companies and organisations, but the lack of notice you are giving is frankly irresponsible!
Yours faithfully,
Jonathan Hayes”

[/b]
Link to the original message:  https://conversation.which.co.uk/discussion/which-discussion/#comment-1527764

I have a favour to ask. Can I ask you all to post this to any social media with which you’re involved and circulate it to as many people as possible. We need to increase the pressure since we know there are numerous elderly, infirm and disabled members who will be severely impacted by this incredibly thoughtless and arrogant treatment by an institution that's supposed to be looking after their interests.

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:08:37 am by Ian »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
Re: Which? and the Consumers' Association
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »
I had the same problem when EE closed down all the old Freeseve e-mail accounts, which I was promised would be for life. I was given short notice of the closure and on the appointed day it closed down.  :'(
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Which? and the Consumers' Association
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 07:10:31 am »
The behaviour of what used to be a reputable charity over this has been appalling.  You can learn more at www.wh1ch.net  and a facebook group called QROWN.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.