Author Topic: Llanduno floods of 1992/3 - who lived through them?  (Read 13130 times)

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
Re: Llanduno floods of 1992/3 - who lived through them?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 06:25:54 pm »
I agree. It was very strange. One thing was the state of the sky over llandudno 24 hours before. Definitely similar to the state of the sky before a thunder storm. Like sudden movements in clouds for no apparent reason.
  Of course the towyn flood was completely different. Here there was gale force winds nonstop day and night from the northwest. Four days before the sea wall came down you could hardly stand up in the wind. That caused the sea surg which finally brought the sea wall down

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 06:34:16 pm »
When I lived in Towyn I saw the streets on the north side of the coast road flooded a few times and people were evacuated from their property in rowing boats.   It was only the camber in the main road that prevented the estates on the other side from flooding
The Towyn Flood that you've rightly described Mike flooded the other side too.    Luckily for me, I had moved home before it happened

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 01:55:18 pm »
There was another more recent episode in the early 2000s when all the local drains and the pumping station packed up. The water came down from the Orme during a cloud burst and my OH and I were struggling to sweep it away down the sewer grate away from the back door. We were up to our knees in a raging torrent, but managed to avert a major problem. The  water got in through air grates at the back and cut off the electricity, but in a very old house these things happen and we soon got sorted !
Incidentally my OH made a 'flood gate' to fit the back gate and if there is a heavy storm it soon gets slotted into place !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 03:24:11 pm »
Mondie, here are some old photos for you of floods in Llandudno.   The first is of the West Shore before they built the original sea defence in the 1950's,   they then built another sea defence there in the 1990's and the water has now been replaced by sand
The second photo is another early one of Clonmel Street.    Parts of Llandudno are very low and even from Mostyn Street the streets go uphill slightly to the promenade.
Many properties have basements and they flood from time to time

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »
Those are great photos Hugo, thanks for posting them. I am starting to understand why the insurers are a little wary after all.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2018, 06:17:05 am »
In my experience, insurers are more concerned when a property is located in an area which has a history of regular flooding.

What happened in Llandudno was a one-off 25 years ago and has not happened since.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2018, 12:24:52 pm »
In my experience, insurers are more concerned when a property is located in an area which has a history of regular flooding.

What happened in Llandudno was a one-off 25 years ago and has not happened since.

That's tempting fate Bri,  they said something similar about the floods in Llandudno Junction and then put some flood defences in and said that a flood would happen only once in a 100 years.
Unfortunately I think that it flooded again the following year

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 01:03:42 pm »

That's tempting fate Bri,  they said something similar about the floods in Llandudno Junction and then put some flood defences in and said that a flood would happen only once in a 100 years.
Unfortunately I think that it flooded again the following year

I'd make two points: the first is that probability is an interesting branch of mathematics, and, although it does, indeed, even out to the predicted outcomes over time, there's nothing within probability that says you can't have seven very bad flood years in a row. It's exactly the same as flipping a coin, where the probability of heads or tails is the same - 50/50 or 50%. However, it's often possible to land several heads in a row.

In the case of the flooding, so long as you only had a couple of events during a 200-year period, they could be in adjacent years.

The second point is that it's been long known that the incidence of extreme events will increase as global temperatures increase. We know that global temperatures have been rising steadily for some years and one interesting consequence of that for us is that our climate will become wetter and colder.

But Bayesian probability underpins the entire science of meteorology and it's been shown to work pretty well.  Insurers are supposed to work from Bayesian probability but base all their costs on statistics and hence epistemic probability.

So in short, don't bet on there being no repeat of lousy weather...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »
In effect you can never say never.      When I was in my teens many moons ago I needed to go to the toilet pretty quickly so the one in bog island was the nearest one so down the steps I ran and leapt from the last three steps straight into about a foot of water.
It was high tide in Llandudno and the water had come up through the drains.
That taught me another lesson    "look before you leap"

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 04:04:27 pm »
They were the days Hugo you always new when the tide was in a foot of water down there ,you'd tiptoe onto them top urinals 😂 At least they were always working not like these new ones two been out of order for weeks 😡

Offline Hugo

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 04:47:04 pm »
I know the ones you are talking about Norman, they were around the corner on the left and were up a step.    I just stood on that large red weighing machine that was opposite the steps down to the toilets.    ;D

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 11:00:10 pm »
was that a leap year Hugo?

Offline Bri Roberts

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2018, 12:25:18 pm »
I still remember the flood extremely well.
The basement of the Bank in Mostyn St. I worked at, was flooded so no power. The strong room was flooded and inaccessible for several days, there must be quite a few customers whose deeds and documents still show signs of it all!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2021, 03:15:35 am »
Today is the 28th Anniversary.